Mario Sperry Videos, Good or Bad?

The Man Monster

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Sorry if I posted this in the wrong place but I value the Grappling Form opinion more than others so I wanted to get your thoughts on Mario Sperrys Vale Tudo series 1.

I've heard its one of the best out there, but I want to know if its true or just hype. By the way you don't have to have series one, I want your general opinion on his teaching series.

Thanks,
The Man Monster

It's True.

Nearly everything he teaches on the DVD's is useful and he goes into a lot of detail. Overall I would recommend his instructionals.

I have his takedown instructional and even though I knew most of the takedowns he showed, his depth in expalining their setups and opponents reactions to those set ups are what really makes these tapes stand out.

great tapes. volume one is a little outdated but still has lots of great stuff.

Pretty much everything with Mario Sperry is worth watching. I got Vale Tudo I & III, Secret of Submission grappling and Master series 2.

BTw i heard Mario was working in Vale Tudo 4. Anyone heard something about this?

Shooto Panama said:
BTw i heard Mario was working in Vale Tudo 4. Anyone heard something about this?

I heard that WMA will release it in 2006

Great instructionals. The best thing about them is the way the explains strategies and how to set up techniques, and when to use them.

Most other instructionais are pure encyclopedias.

Ken'Oh said:
I heard that WMA will release it in 2006

2006?

Can`t hardly wait. Nothing top Sperry videos in MMA/BJJ instructionals but I heard Carvalho and De la Riva series are also quite good too.

Mario Sperry has great instructional videos. The great thing is that he doesn't show isolated techniques but rather guides you through the fight, and assumes that your opponent is as good as you or better. He is also quite funny, especially when explaining certain position that most probably wouldn't work in a real fight ( he likes to mention his mother quite freuqently- "Nobody does that, nobody- even my mother wouldn't do that" or from Master series,in passing the guard section- "Yeah, I could do that with my mother- maybe").

Vale Tudo Series 1 is incredible. I've heard Vale Tudo series 2 is not that great & very repetitive of the 1st series. Never seen the 2nd series though.

i have vale tudo 1, secrets of sub grappling, and master series 1 and 2 and they are all excellent. could have probably done without VT1 since i never plan on fighting with strikes, but it is excellent instruction nonetheless. i have never been disappointed with a world martial arts video set

CrazyVet said:
Mario Sperry has great instructional videos. The great thing is that he doesn't show isolated techniques but rather guides you through the fight, and assumes that your opponent is as good as you or better. He is also quite funny, especially when explaining certain position that most probably wouldn't work in a real fight ( he likes to mention his mother quite freuqently- "Nobody does that, nobody- even my mother wouldn't do that" or from Master series,in passing the guard section- "Yeah, I could do that with my mother- maybe").

Also i found so funny what Sperry does when simulate punches.

Something like: "binbinbinbin"

Shooto Panama said:
Pretty much everything with Mario Sperry is worth watching. I got Vale Tudo I & III, Secret of Submission grappling and Master series 2.

I have Vale Tudo I, very good video.

Shooto Panama said:
Also i found so funny what Sperry does when simulate punches.

Something like: "binbinbinbin"

haha yeah.

"bin! bin! punch in the face! i gonna smash you all over!"

demolidor77 said:
Most other instructionais are pure encyclopedias.

That's what i like when i look at instructionals, but as you i find the most of them as pure encyclopedias. Anyone got any tips about more of them that explains alot behind the teqchniques etc?

Another thing to consider at the moment to buy Sperry videos is to check first what exactly are you looking for.

Sperry`s Vale Tudo series deal like the name indicate with MMA/Vale Tudo techniques. Probably you can take some techniques here and there in how to work the different positions, however there is a big difference in MMA guard/mount/side mount/pass guard than No GI or Sport BJJ.

Usually Sperry explain how to protect from punches and other things involved in fights. In the other side series like Secret of Submission Grappling only deal with No-Gi submission grappling and their rules so he won`t show anything related in how to avoid punches, knees or kicks since this techniques can`t be used in grappling competition.

Same goes for the Master series where Sperry only focus in Sport BJJ.

So basically:

Sperry Vale Tudo: MMA/NHB fights
Secret of Submission: ADCC/Submission grappling style
Master Series: Sport BJJ

I just got the Submission Grappling series and haven't really watched it yet, but I can tell you that Mario Sperry's Vale Tudo instructionals are excellent, no doubt (I have VT 1, 2, and 3). He is not only a great fighter, but also a great instructor who is unusually good at getting the stuff across to others in an interesting, entertaining, and memorable manner. All of the prior positive replies to this thread echo what I've seen and heard over and over... Mario's stuff is widely considered among the very best out there on grappling. I would be amazed if you were disappointed with his material. Look on e-bay, you can find some good deals on his videos/DVDs.

Back