Marijuana and MMA... A Brief History... Happy 4/20

I have a list I used to put a lot of thought into as well. Forgive it for being old, but here's what I got on pretty much the exact same topic. (most of the following have been suspended for it. or at least admitted to it..)

Jon Jones
Henry Cejudo
Conor McGregor

Jamahal Hill
Kelvin Gastelum
Andre Fili
Cynthia Calvillo
Alex Caceres
Niko Price
Jon Fitch
Nick Diaz
Nate Diaz
Joe Warren
Emanuel Newton
Sean O' Malley
Wanderlei Silva (Forgive me for stealin' this one from TS)
Curtis Blaydes

Matt Riddle 3-0 at MW; 9-3 in UFC; 10-3 Overall, Including No contest victories...
(Has a high school wrestling victory over LHW kingpin, Jon Jones!!!!!)

Ian McCall
Abel Trujillo
Yancy Medeiros
Jessica Eye

UFC veterans....
Thiago Silva
Robbie Peralta
Diego Brandao
Brian Eborsole
Dave Herman
Pat Healy

That's my #teamstoner list atm. More tbd in the following months.
Man, this is quality... I'm going to spoiler it into the OP.

2 fat dabs for you bro.

Gastelum
iu

Schilling
upload_2021-4-7_14-25-42.png

Elias Theodorou
1583161608000.jpg

Bas Rutten
iu

Thiago Silva
iu

Because it turns your brain into one.

Also makes eating them acceptable.

<{clintugh}>

Good thread. Just shows the low level of athleticism and professionalism in MMA all these drug addicts in there

Jamahal Hill must have been gutted when the rule changed like shortly after he got his TKO win taken off of him.

Imagine doing this to someone
DefensiveUnevenBlackpanther-size_restricted.gif

And someone saying nah you got stoned yesterday, stop cheating mate.. lol.

The fact the referee is a dreadlocked stoner himself just adds insult to injury.

How about Nick Diaz doing this to the No 1 LW in the world at the time and hearkng the same...

ffa0df1daabc675c0ef6bc8e726d47b7.gif

The fact the referee is a dreadlocked stoner himself just adds insult to injury.

How about Nick Diaz doing this to the No 1 LW in the world at the time and hearkng the same...

ffa0df1daabc675c0ef6bc8e726d47b7.gif
HoarseGlisteningBullmastiff-max-1mb.gif

Glad the rules changed... Sometimes this sport makes some smart changes, many archaic sports take years to flip a switch that needs flipping.

HoarseGlisteningBullmastiff-max-1mb.gif

Glad the rules changed... Sometimes this sport makes some smart changes, many archaic sports take years to flip a switch that needs flipping.

Its a weird one... I'm a huge advocate of both recreational, and medical marijuana, but in many ways it has a reputation for being against the ethos of the sport...

First of all, setting anything on fire and inhaling the smoke is bad for you. That's not deniable. Just because its not tobacco, doesnt mean it's not harmless... Also weed burns at a higher temperature than tobacco, and is often smoked unfiltered, which leads to blistering of the airways and a reduction of lung capacity.

Then there's the lifestyle... Ths media has created a "stoner" stereotype, and, unfortunately when this happens to any sub-genre of society, people latch on... The lazy, gluttonous image begins to pertain to reality... Which is perfectly fine if you're not supposed to be training for a fight.

That said, weed isnt what it used to be - these days you can get shit that energises, or puts you to sleep as you choose... A little sativa could actually improve your energy levels, and perception of the situation - a little indica and an edible to unwind... Boom.

I understand the argument against, but it's based on an old and outdated, possibly racist stereotype... As the world relaxes its laws so will sport is my opinion.

Last edited:
Reactions: HHJ
Weed's not my thing, but it's good to have options. CBD is good stuff. Also fuck cartels, they do evil shit and apparently fuck up the environment in national parks growing weed and shit.

All of that bad shit thrives in prohibition.

If we just let people grow and exchange plants, all that bad shit loses its power.

Its a weird one... I'm a huge advocate of bitb recreational, and medical marijuana, but in many ways it has a reputation for being against the ethos of the sport...

First of all, setting anything on fire and inhaling the smoke is bad for you. That's not deniable. Just because its not tobacco, doesnt mean it's not harmless... Also weed burns at a higher temperature than tobacco, and is often smoked unfiltered, which leads to blistering of the airways and a reduction of lung capacity.

Then there's the lifestyle... Ths media has created a "stoner" stereotype, and, unfortunately when this happens to any sub-genre of society, people latch on... The lazy, gluttonous image begins to pertain to reality... Which is perfectly fine if you're not supposed to be training for a fight.

That said, weed isnt what it used to be - these days you can get shit that energises, or puts you to sleep as yoh choose... A little sativa could actually improve your energy levels, and perception of the situation - a little indica and an edible to unwind... Boom.

I understand the argument against, but it's based on an old and outdated, possibly racist stereotype... As the world relaxes its laws so will sport is my opinion.
And now with readily available edibles, liquid concentrates etc, that damage your the lungs and respiratory system can be largely avoided.

And now with readily available edibles, liquid concentrates etc, that damage your the lungs and respiratory system can be largely avoided.
Absolutely... Without losing your desired effect from strain... I'm 100% with you, just making observations on what I think are reasons for the stigma.

Its a weird one... I'm a huge advocate of bitb recreational, and medical marijuana, but in many ways it has a reputation for being against the ethos of the sport...

That said, weed isnt what it used to be - these days you can get shit that energises, or puts you to sleep as yoh choose... A little sativa could actually improve your energy levels, and perception of the situation - a little indica and an edible to unwind... Boom.

Yeah that's a fair and thoughtful take,

Inhaling smoke is bad for you, but then one doesn't even have to smoke anything for this rule to have been priorly broken, one could have just eaten edibles, plenty are using vapes and all sorts of different methods..

If you've been driven and hard working enough to hit jackpot in MMA and get signed for the UFC, I can't imagine you'd be at much risk for becoming some slobby stoner dude who's slacking off training for sitting in your pants and picking your nose..

Yeah the more legalised and accepted weed becomes, the more education and understanding of the drug will commence imo, I've worked in Craft Beer for about a decade and I know pretty much every process of how it's made and all sorts of ridiculous shit, I enjoy learning more about things I enjoy, and want to know the process of how it gets to me, though granted not everyone does... Basically understanding the science and intricacies like the examples you have given is far more attainable when the stigma isn't on it, and would imo lead to a generally smarter user on average..

I hope the country we live in does too! Sick of paying these inflated prices for the same Haze all the damn time.

In what will probably be my latest contribution to the wasteland, I thought I'd compile a little story of notable events involving MMA's involvement in the reefer madness over time...

A recent study shows that more than half of the UFC roster does enjoy passing a blunt with the homies from time to time.

Bear in mind that this is perfectly legal across many states, and countries, and in most cases no laws are being broken... Also using marijuana out of competition is also not prohibited by either UFC, or NSAC.

Let's take a walk through the green fields of time...

I suppose the first epic sighting of satan's cabbage was the potential Diaz uncle just behind "Just Bleed Guy" James Ladner at UFC 15:

tenor-2.gif

^^^ there is little sobriety in this gif

Fighters generally kept their sweet smelling pastime to themselves for many years... Prohibition was a dark time for partakers of the sesmilla, especially in an athletic environment where "recreational drug use" is deeply frowned upon...

One man stayed strong amidst the whirlwind, however... His name was Nick Diaz. You may not remember ol' Diablo, but in his day he was quite the fighter.. He was an even better stoner.

1*4uwfovhMCTlznGxn2YBjmA.jpeg

Nick was a particularly amorous admirer of sweet Mary... So amorous was his affection for weed, that his ambition for getting that money in the ring was often compromised by the two loves colliding.

Here is Nick Diaz in a sherdog interview completely stoned after the Gomi fight talking himself into what would be the first of many hot piss tests... Possibly the first high-profile weed bust in the sport.

He would go on to eventually relinquish his career for a 3rd test... But let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Others fell too...

a5q79cfciaaedzz.0.jpg

Out of the darkness there came another... A teacher that some call a visionary, and others call... Other things... I'm talking of course about Eddie Bravo.

1*o2VyjwVBYmX9BBEgdEZ22A@2x.jpeg

Over at 10th Planet BJJ, things were smelling pretty sweet... California's medical marijuana industry had started to really take shape, and Eddie was the first in line at the dispensaries... He lived to roll - both on the mat, and big fat blunts between his fingers... He had many students, one of whom would become even more famous than Eddie himself... Joe Rogan

joe-rogan-eddie-bravo-weed-truth-101.jpg

^^^ MMA's Cheech and Chong hard at work.

Joe Rogan is a very persuasive individual, it would seem... You probably don't know this, but he has a podcast called The Joe Rogan Experience, on which he persuades famous people to come and talk about their lives... He also hangs with the aforementioned Eddie Bravo, as well as Joey "Coco" Diaz - a great man and a legendary taker of teh weeds in his own right...

On this podcast they talk about dude's weiners, and get people to smoke weed - its just like being back in college but wayyyy more woke... He claims to have smoked weed with many former champions and fighters, including Ronda Rousey, Brendan Schaub,and a laundry list more.

_103330503_musk3.jpg

^^^ The world's richest man getting high on a podcast.

Having successfully normalized weed culture to a generation of podcast fans, Joe inspired other fight-related celebrities to follow in his footsteps...

Next thing we knew, an actual GOAT was getting as redded as the setting sun during interviews... Yes, "Iron" Mike Tyson is in the Breakfast Club (that's an 80s reference, please excuse me).

NINTCHDBPICT000513504750.jpg

^^^ Mike Tyson REALLY loves weed.

In a world of podcasts featuring incredibly famous fighters, there was to be only one outcome... Thats right... Conor McGregor would take a guest spot on Mike's "Hotboxin" podcast, the name providing a double-entendre for getying high af in a confined space... And our Colin didnt disappoint.

0_Some-giggle-off-that-Cherry-Pick-Kush-Conor-McGregor-smoking-weed.jpg

This is where we come full circle, you see... Because Conor McGregor has an arch-nemesis. No, not Floyd Mayweather... No, not the police either... No, it's not old men in bars either, stop it... Its Nate Diaz of couse - wee brother to the hero at the start of this tale, Nick Diaz.

main-qimg-102bbdf75ccfc5b876baff8762b76fdf

Nate made lots of money from fighting Conor. He became wildly popular. He also made smoking weed marketable witn his popularity as, being Nick's wee brother, he has been happily puffing away since he was a nipper...

Many would flock to bite his style

SeanOJoint-1024x682.jpg

^^^ A stylebiter in its natural habitat.

Now, all of a sudden out of nowhere you have guys like Wanderlei Silva coming out of the 420-closet like "yo dude"and copying Mike who copied Joe, only in Portuguese so Joe and Mike will never find out...

wanderlei-silva.jpg

However, despite calm appearances, the narcs were still on patrol, with Niko Price and Tim Elliot being fined as late as November last year for violating NSAC marijuana policy:

https://www.bjpenn.com/mma-news/ufc...c-fighters-to-be-suspended-for-marijuana-use/

That was until January of this year, when Uncle Dana finally did what every right minded hop-head was hoping, and relinquished the ban on ganja smoke, unless it be on the dsy of a fight.

https://www.lowkickmma.com/ufc-usada-remove-marijuana-from-violation-in-anti-doping-policy-change/

So there you have it... The weed is liberated now. ThC is no longer a prohibited chemical under new guidelines... Fighting stoners rejoice.

I've left out a shitload of fighters, and stories... Please add your own.

ww21r3jvxrg51.jpg

Inb4 "tl/dr"

<EdgyBrah>

Edit:

A more detailed list of dank smokers by @UFCFantasyMVP:

• Referee Josh "Heisenthal" Rosenthal getting busted with 250 plants and having to do time

https://www.mmamania.com/2013/7/2/4...three-years-behind-bars-pot-marijuana-oakland

• HW Fighter Mike Whitehead getting busted on a sexual assualt rap, and officers discovering plants in his garden, aggravating the charges.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Whitehead

• HW Anthony "Rumble" Johnson starting his own weed company after leaving UFC.

https://mmaimports.com/2018/09/anth...owing-photo-with-massive-amount-of-marijuana/

• 66yo Relson Gracie being arrested for trafficking weed (he brought a few packs of edibles over the border from America).

https://www.mmamania.com/2020/1/26/21083065/relson-gracie-arrested-and-charged-with-drug-trafficking

Plus the Chinese word for MArijuana is “MMÁ”

so it’s not like they aren’t being totally obvious that MMA is a pothead sport.

So many weed experts in this thread.o_O

Yeah that's a fair and thoughtful take,

Inhaling smoke is bad for you, but then one doesn't even have to smoke anything for this rule to have been priorly broken, one could have just eaten edibles, plenty are using vapes and all sorts of different methods..

If you've been driven and hard working enough to hit jackpot in MMA and get signed for the UFC, I can't imagine you'd be at much risk for becoming some slobby stoner dude who's slacking off training for sitting in your pants and picking your nose..

Yeah the more legalised and accepted weed becomes, the more education and understanding of the drug will commence imo, I've worked in Craft Beer for about a decade and I know pretty much every process of how it's made and all sorts of ridiculous shit, I enjoy learning more about things I enjoy, and want to know the process of how it gets to me, though granted not everyone does... Basically understanding the science and intricacies like the examples you have given is far more attainable when the stigma isn't on it, and would imo lead to a generally smarter user on average..

I hope the country we live in does too! Sick of paying these inflated prices for the same Haze all the damn time.

The edibles thing is a given... One of the biggest allies in the revolution is a new generation of older folks with ailments being given edibkes by younger relatives as a pain relief, or sleep aid.

As for the "becoming slobby" part... I think at some point a lot of these a-level guys say "fuck it, I've had enough" and hit the sofa... Weed may or may not be a partbof that life decision, but I think we can all identify with that feeling of needing to drop something and chill.

I have a fair amount of experience within the CBD industry, and as a personal user, with various hernaited and slipped discs in my back, it's a much easier life than a valium/opiate addiction, which I spent years battling... Like many fighters, come to think of it... Although I'm pleased to say that I dont use anything apart from marijuana to medicate muscle spasm and deep pain now.

I feel like things will be completely different in a decade... I'll be old as fuck by then, but nevermind.

Great job, Buff. Though I'm a bit surprised you didn't include Josh Rosenthal's warehouse bust. Great thread regardless.

Back