March o8' best month of boxing in a long time

BR

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
March seems like it's been so long because of the amount of great figths and upsets we've seen. We had Izzy v Marquez III which was all time. Pac v JMM which was also great and no matter how you had it, it's one that will be argued and debated forever. Then the upsets. Diaz, Kastidis and Lee all losing thier undeafeated records. Of all of them I think Diaz has the best chance of bouncing back, I give Lee the least chance.

As good as March was, I cant wait for April. I'm looking foward to Cintron v Margarito, not looking foward to seeing Gomez get the beating of his life at the hand of Cotto because Gomez seems like a good guy. Finally we'll get to see the executioner get executed by Joe Cal.

May is looking pretty good as well. Sure, ODH is coming back, but 'm looking foward to Mosely v Judah, Bika v Codington (sp?) II on the undercard, and Miranda v Kessler. Damn this year has been good.

I can't think of a better month in the past 10 years but if anybody can please enlighten me :D

Yeah, I think it will reminde people that boxing CAN be as exciting as mma.

Yeah, I think it will reminde people that boxing CAN be as exciting as mma.

I think those who have watched boxing all of thier lives like me are still waiting for MMA to show us they it CAN be as exciting as boxing. I've been watching MMA for about 6 years now and have yet to see a fight that can be even compared to JMM v Pac, let alone Izzy v Marquez III.

I think those who have watched boxing all of thier lives like me are still waiting for MMA to show us they it CAN be as exciting as boxing. I've been watching MMA for about 6 years now and have yet to see a fight that can be even compared to JMM v Pac, let alone Izzy v Marquez III.

What he said.....

I think those who have watched boxing all of their lives like me are still waiting for MMA to show us they it CAN be as exciting as boxing. I've been watching MMA for about 6 years now and have yet to see a fight that can be even compared to JMM v Pac, let alone Izzy v Marquez III.

Well i have been watching boxing since the early 90's and started watching MMA for maybe 3-4 years. I believe boxing is easy to be boring. Though this month was awesome, some fights are too boring for me, compared to fight say like Huerta vs Guida or Shogun vs Lil Nog... But that's just me.

I guess its just the eyes of the beholder eh? Whatever it is, I respect your opinion.

March may turn out to be a bad month in terms of the sport's popularity in the years to come. Diaz and Kstsidis could have been big draws and fan favorites for years and years. Instead, they've been replaced by Campbell and Casamayor, two fighters in the late stages of their careers. Neither one realistically has more than a couple years left, while Diaz and Katsidis could have remained on top for a decade.

Peter's defeat of Masakaev could be viewed as in the opposite way, a dynamic young fighter's replacement of an old warhorse, but Peter doesn't seem too popular with fans.

Well i have been watching boxing since the early 90's and started watching MMA for maybe 3-4 years. I believe boxing is easy to be boring. Though this month was awesome, some fights are too boring for me, compared to fight say like Huerta vs Guida or Shogun vs Lil Nog... But that's just me.

I guess its just the eyes of the beholder eh? Whatever it is, I respect your opinion.

No doubt there are some boring boxing matches. But it's not fair to comapre say a Huertav Guida fight against some fight you see on Friday night fights. I think Huerta v Guida was the best MMA fight of last year, yet dont think it's close to either of the first two Marquez v Vasquez fights. It's like me comparing a Sherk or Tim Sylvia fight to Kastidis v Casamayor or JMM v Pac II.

March may turn out to be a bad month in terms of the sport's popularity in the years to come. Diaz and Kstsidis could have been big draws and fan favorites for years and years. Instead, they've been replaced by Campbell and Casamayor, two fighters in the late stages of their careers. Neither one realistically has more than a couple years left, while Diaz and Katsidis could have remained on top for a decade.

Peter's defeat of Masakaev could be viewed as in the opposite way, a dynamic young fighter's replacement of an old warhorse, but Peter doesn't seem too popular with fans.

Well, Diaz and Kastidis are both young. Besides, in 3 years I see Valero, Linares, Gamboa, and Antillion at LW, along with Diaz and Kastidis. All guys who are still very young.

No doubt there are some boring boxing matches. But it's not fair to comapre say a Huertav Guida fight against some fight you see on Friday night fights. I think Huerta v Guida was the best MMA fight of last year, yet dont think it's close to either of the first two Marquez v Vasquez fights. It's like me comparing a Sherk or Tim Sylvia fight to Kastidis v Casamayor or JMM v Pac II.

I agree. What im trying to say is Boxing usually delivers once in a while. While mma almost always have an exciting fight every event.

I'm not saying boxing is boring. I enjoy watching even the boring ones. What I'm saying is to me, mma is more entertaining, but there's always the pac vs jmm that reminds me that boxing can be just as exciting for me.

Boxing and MMA can be boring, the main difference is in MMA there are more ways to end a fight so less fights go to decision.

People in this day and age want instant gratification, and it seems most of those people are MMA fans, there can't be a 30 second lull in the action because the crowd starts to boo. I prefer longer fights between evenly matched fighters where you can see all the skills on display, I really don't care for fights between guys with .500 records getting ko'd in the first 60 seconds.

Shogun vs Lil Nog is probably the best MMA fight ever but those fights are few and far between you get alot more Kimbo vs Tank then Lil Nog vs Shogun in MMA.

Boxing and MMA can be boring, the main difference is in MMA there are more ways to end a fight so less fights go to decision.

People in this day and age want instant gratification, and it seems most of those people are MMA fans, there can't be a 30 second lull in the action because the crowd starts to boo. I prefer longer fights between evenly matched fighters where you can see all the skills on display, I really don't care for fights between guys with .500 records getting ko'd in the first 60 seconds.

Shogun vs Lil Nog is probably the best MMA fight ever but those fights are few and far between you get alot more Kimbo vs Tank then Lil Nog vs Shogun in MMA.

Agreed. Also, i can respect that you like to watch fighters show there skills before they have the chance to get knocked senseless. It just comes down to personal preference no?

I enjoy watching a fighter check mated by another different style. I enjoy watching a kick boxer show a wrestler up(silva vs hendo). Also watching a wrestler dismantle a bjj champ. More styles! That's what i prefer. Not that i don't enjoy a the Marquez vs Vasquez battles.

Or maybe i shouldnt come into a boxing forum talking about mma! ahaha.. i love both.

I agree, march was great, the highlight of course was sam peter winning his title, just kidding.

I thought the katsidis v casamoyer was interesting for the way the tide of the fight turned one way, then another and then a suprise ending, great drama.

Agreed. Also, i can respect that you like to watch fighters show there skills before they have the chance to get knocked senseless. It just comes down to personal preference no?

I enjoy watching a fighter check mated by another different style. I enjoy watching a kick boxer show a wrestler up(silva vs hendo). Also watching a wrestler dismantle a bjj champ. More styles! That's what i prefer. Not that i don't enjoy a the Marquez vs Vasquez battles.

Or maybe i shouldnt come into a boxing forum talking about mma! ahaha.. i love both.

I agree,

But boxing is exactly the same way but even more strategic.

In MMA you have a boxer vs wrestler, or BJJ vs muay thai etc. Different disciplines clash.

However, with boxing you have the boxer vs puncher or brawler vs puncher etc. You have different syles among boxers and its interesting when they clash.

ZING!

Boxing is destroying MMA this year in terms of great fights.

Why does every single thread in this forum turn into a boxing vs. MMA discussion within the first ten posts?

Why does every single thread in this forum turn into a boxing vs. MMA discussion within the first ten posts?

He wasnt the guy who started it. One poster said that MMA is more exciting than boxing more frequently and someone responded disagreeing with him.

Its nothing harmless, everybody was respectful of each others opinions.

Instead, they've been replaced by Campbell and Casamayor, two fighters in the late stages of their careers. Neither one realistically has more than a couple years left, while Diaz and Katsidis could have remained on top for a decade.

I understand what you're saying about Katsidis being young and exciting, but it would be hard for me to say that Casamayor replaced him. Casamayor was/is the recognized champ in the division and proved he deserves the title.

Back