Marcelo Garcia Seminar in LA & SD!!!

Sherdog_Mutt

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
garcia.bmp

Marcelo Garcia is going to be in LA on August 13, 2005 for a seminar + private lessons.
LA location is confirmed to be the On The Mat warehouse in Huntington Park. I've just reserved my spot at this seminar.

Additionally, he is going to be in SD on August 14, 2005 for a seminar + privates. Unsure of this location.

E-mail [email protected] for more information.

does marcelo speak english at all?

i do recall his instructionals being in portuguese with someone else doing an english overdub...a lot of other brazilians used english in their instructionals soo i'm just assuming marcelo's english isn't too sharp yet.

From what I've heard, Marcelo speaks english good enough to teach BJJ.

And yes... big thanks to Vince and the On The Mat guys for bringing us this seminar.

Ok guys. This seminar is tonight. I look forward to seeing some of you there. I can't wait to learn from Marcelo.

Sherdog_Mutt said:
Ok guys. This seminar is tonight. I look forward to seeing some of you there. I can't wait to learn from Marcelo.

Bastard!!! I hope you break a toe!!! HAHA j/k

muaythaifolife said:
Bastard!!! I hope you break a toe!!! HAHA j/k

haha... sorry about your toe bro. I'll try to take out Marcelo's toe for you.

Sherdog_Mutt said:
haha... sorry about your toe bro. I'll try to take out Marcelo's toe for you.

So how was it??? Didja end up taking a private with him?

I just started watching his instructionals but my GF is tired of being my training dummy so Im gonna have to figure out another way. Ill prolly just skim through the whole thing and try to grasp some concepts.

It was a really cool seminar in LA. It was 3 hours of instruction. He showed us:

1) his armdrag
2) a sweep to try if the guy counter's the arm drag
3) how to switch to x-guard when the guy counters the sweep
4) 3 sweeps from x-guard
5) how to take someone's back from side control
6) attacking the turtle with the crucifix
7) what to do if you mess up the crucifix

The guy is really short but thick. His hands and feet are huge for his size. I wound up asking him a ton of questions about playing the x-guard. He's a nice guy and a good teacher. My one gripe is that he's soft spoken and his english is mediocre. Good thing they had Scotty (from On the Mat) there to help translate from time to time.

I can't wait to try some of this stuff out next week in class!

Special thanks to Shoyoroll.com for organizing and promoting the seminar. Thanks to the On The Mat guys for hosting the LA seminar.

Back