Mandatory weigh in 30 days before fight?

11b83

Purple Belt
Reaction score
In preparation for his HBO showdown with titleholder Jean Pascal in Montreal, Dawson apparently is already in terrific condition. At a mandatory weigh-in 30 days before the fight, Dawson was 177 pounds -- just two above the limit when he could have weighed as much as 192

It's not new. The WBC has been doing it for awhile now. I remember before the Corrales vs Castillo 2 fight, theere was things under investigations with the Castillo camp on why he came in so heavy for the fight, if he has been on schedule to make weight.

I like the idea to weighting them 30 days before the fight.It should help fighters from coming in heavy.

Ok here it is.

Although Castillo will need to weigh 135 pounds for only a few seconds when he steps on a scale inside the Agustus Ballroom at Caesars Palace for the official weigh-in at 5:30 p.m. ET June 2 -- the day before facing Corrales at the Thomas & Mack Center in Las Vegas (Showtime, 9 ET/PT) -- the effort to make weight has been his all-consuming goal for the past few months.

The WBC, which is sanctioning the fight, has been sending a representative to Castillo's training camp in the mountains north of Mexico City to check his weight regularly in order to make sure he is coming down slowly and safely.

It's a process Castillo knows is necessary but one he doesn't like.

"It has been very difficult every week having people coming in to check my weight, making sure that I am where I am supposed to be," Castillo said this week on a conference call with reporters, where his weight was topic No. 1. "The day of the weigh-in is one day before the fight and I know I am going to make the weight, but it has been difficult. It has been hard for me.

Weighty matters at hand with lightweight title at stake - Boxing - ESPN

Last edited:
Back