Law Man shot after stabbing officer in face. Family says murder and blames it on racism.

Is this a serious post?

<Dany07>

Tasers fail often. Both barbs have to get into the person for it to be effective. Sometimes you miss. Sometimes thick clothing stops the barbs. Sometimes only one sticks.

Hell sometimes you get both barbs and some people are so fueled by adrenaline that they keep coming. I've seen police shooting breakdowns where the suspect has been shot multiple times and still kept coming.

So while the cop is hoping this is a time the taser does exactly what it should do, the man with the knife is charging and can close the distance in seconds. By the time you realize the taser failed, you can be getting stabbed or back-pedaling with a guy who's only a foot away from you.

Also, I forgot the scientific study that states that a knife is somehow less deadly if it's a mentally ill person holding it. Do you mind pulling that one up?
This wasn't a surprise though, they came knowing he had a knife. Is there really no way to handle someone with a knife who's having an episode due to a mental illness that the officers have been made aware of?

The fact that the grandmother feels convicted enough to publicly say that she feels they failed to take other measures first while she made an effort to alert them of his mentally ill, after it's been made public knowledge that there's a body cam footage of the incident, seems to suggest this may not have been handled in the most responsible say.

This wasn't a surprise though, they came knowing he had a knife. Is there really no way to handle someone with a knife who's having an episode due to a mental illness that the officers have been made aware of?

The fact that the grandmother feels convicted enough to publicly say that she feels they failed to take other measures first while she made an effort to alert them of his mentally ill, after it's been made public knowledge that there's a body cam footage of the incident, seems to suggest this may not have been handled in the most responsible say.
They can try talking him down but once he jumps into action, there isn't anything else they can do. They're not going to leave the situation because leaving an agitated mentally ill person with a knife to his/her own devices is very irresponsible.

The grandmother is going off emotion, not logic. Even if the guy was sane but just hated cops and wanted to hurt one and ended up shot to death, many grandmothers out there would be so biased, they'd blame the cop instead of their out-of-control grandchild.

***EDIT*** - And who was responsible for this mentally ill person? How did he get to this point? When a dog goes crazy and starts attacking people, you don't blame the person for killing it in self-defense. You blame the handler or the owner for not keeping the dog under control.

Where was this sick man's handler and why weren't they taking the appropriate measures so this wouldn't happen?

Just cause he was black doesn't mean his life mattered.

https://ussanews.com/family-of-man-...led-him-because-he-was-black-demands-justice/

Two cops were dispatched to a call regarding a black male pulling a knife on another subject. Officers arrived and speak to the suspect who then stabs one of the officers in the face. Officers then shoot the subject, killing him. The family claims he was shot because of his race and they are demanding justice.

There is body cam from both officers, which the mayor has watched and claimed it was justified. The family stated “the gall of the mayor to say this was justified before all the facts are known.” The grandmother was on the porch and saw the shooting and claims she begged officers not to shoot him because he is mentally ill. Of course, this was after he stabbed an officer in the face and came after them with the knife a second time.

Forget the mayor. Imagine the gall to claim race has anything to do with this instead of the fact he tried to kill a police officer.
CRT and BLM have warped so many minds in our nation.

So I'm a little confused here, the officers were responding to the report of man wielding a knife and threatening to attack someone, they arrived on the scene, identified the man still holding the knife, then they end up within distance to be stabbed in the face, all while the grandmother is pleading nearby not for them to shoot because he's got a mental illness.

How does that happen? They have nonlethal tools for these things. I find it sort of odd that TS didn't mention the other statements from her about suggesting the officers should have used their tasers or disengaged and called for back up. We have a former officer bringing this topic to discuss and all he has to comment on is the racial component and nothing about the actual tactics she's suggesting they were negligent in not using first?

I said in another post that distance, cover, and time are an officer’s best friend when dealing with knife wielding subjects. From there, you can look at other options as long as you have lethal cover backup. My only criticism of these officers is that this guy should have never gotten close enough to stab an officer.

A taser is never a substitute for lethal force when facing a knife wielding subject unless there is cover and distance. Like I said, I would like to know how he got that close, but until I see the video, I won’t know for sure. Why didn’t I detail everything that the grandma said? I posted a link to an article that does. Read it yourself and post whatever you find is relevant.

And i only need 20 feet to stab you, tasers arent always effective either for a number of reasons.

Disengaging may not have been an option if he could be an immediate threat to others. Video would be nicer to see how much leeway they had to play with.
The "21 ft rule" isn't based in science or law, it's just a general rule of thumb that's had it's validity called in to question.

It really sounds like they need to release the video. I think I'm being pretty reasonable here. I'm not jumping to some crazy conclusion and calling for their heads, it just sounds like an issue that should be looked in to.

We've got a problem if we can't even question how these things went down.

The "21 ft rule" isn't based in science or law, it's just a general rule of thumb that's had it's validity called in to question.

It really sounds like they need to release the video. I think I'm being pretty reasonable here. I'm not jumping to some crazy conclusion and calling for their heads, it just sounds like an issue that should be looked in to.

We've got a problem if we can't even question how these things went down.

There's enough video out there for it to show its a great rule of thumb. At 10 feet or less....lol you better plug with slugs if you even have it up and chambered.

I think I'm the first one to actually acknowledge what she felt the police failed to do in that scenario after 60 posts of circle jerking.
Without seeing the bodycam footage its hard to actually know what happened. The officers may have had other options leading up to the stabbing. However the fact that the officer was stabbed in the face was a deadly threat. Unless other evidence becomes available, i woukd lean towards this being a justified shooting.

We should send out people who think you can deal with people like this with hugs and nice words. They'll get it done, its so easy!

I said in another post that distance, cover, and time are an officer’s best friend when dealing with knife wielding subjects. From there, you can look at other options as long as you have lethal cover backup. My only criticism of these officers is that this guy should have never gotten close enough to stab an officer.

A taser is never a substitute for lethal force when facing a knife wielding subject unless there is cover and distance. Like I said, I would like to know how he got that close, but until I see the video, I won’t know for sure. Why didn’t I detail everything that the grandma said? I posted a link to an article that does. Read it yourself and post whatever you find is relevant.
You can't know for sure until you see video? You were confident enough to declare this woman saw dollar signs in the "ghetto lottery".

Here's a recent example of an officer in Arizona using a taser in response to being attacked with a knife. There were injuries, but no fatalities. And this officer was called to a fire and actually surprised at close range, he had more justification in using lethal force.

So I find it hard to believe there's just no way an officer should use a taser her, especially with backup right there than support lethal force as a failsafe. If they had attempted to use a taser and it failed, the article would have corrected the grandmother's assertion that they made no effort.

Without seeing the bodycam footage its hard to actually know what happened. The officers may have had other options leading up to the stabbing. However the fact that the officer was stabbed in the face was a deadly threat. Unless other evidence becomes available, i woukd lean towards this being a justified shooting.
I didn't say it wasn't justified, but I do think the woman had some very valid questions that she wants answers for. And it's not like the footage doesn't exist.

I didn't say it wasn't justified, but I do think the woman had some very valid questions that she wants answers for. And it's not like the footage doesn't exist.
Is the footage public? I havent see it available.

* tv, movies, and music is how some know of confrontation
It's almost as if our society isn't some chaotic violent hellscape. If there are two officers engaging a subject they know has a knife and is threatening to use it, would it be bad policing to approach him cautiously with one officer aiming his taser and the backup officer aiming his gun in case the taser fails? Is that an approach that's been implemented by officers in America before?

Since I'm just a fragile innocent flower, you should know the answers here. Please enlightenment me.

Back