Maltodextrin or Dextrose best with my ON Whey post workout?

• Thread starter Deleted member 56619
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 56619

Which form is best for me post workout? Dont know if this matters but im looking to add some size but mostly lean muscle. For my post workout shake which will i want most, Or is it best to use both? Dextrose will cause a insulin spike right? I have read that this is bad but it seems most people do it anyway, can someone elaborate on this place? Also is about 60g of carbs right for a post workout shake?(im 5 10, 174) thanks for the help guys.

P.S. anyone know if this nighttime formula from protein factory is very good?
http://proteinfactory.com/store/pro...id=83&osCsid=2f2eb25970f52116a7d852621f4ef86b

I take Maltodextrin because it's a bit more complex, and actually has a higher glycemix index.

But dextrose is great for a phase in which you're trying to gain weight, too. Postworkout is the only time that amount of sugar is acceptable.

That night formula at PF is pretty standard, but many here just eat 1/2 to 1 cup of nonfat cottage cheese before they go to bed. Whole food is better.

Yeah i did the cottage cheese thing for a week, what brand do you get? I got Knudsens(sp?) and i hated it, and i like cottage cheese. Im not sure if its the brand or the non fat but i guess ill just have to choke it down.

It seems 40-60gs of Carbs for a post workout shake is standard, is this correct?
Thanks for the help everyone.

to be honest it dosnt make any difference , they are both mega high GI , and would both cause an insulin spike , but post training insulin levels are very high anyway

this was purely the reason that sugars where consumed post training, to create an insulin spike which inturn would transport amini acids into the muscle to begin the repairs asap, but as insulin levels are high anyway it sort of defeats the object . the only time i can see sugars being beneficial is if you had completley depleted your glycogen stores which would be near impossible if your nutrition was good , or if i was taking exogenus insulin and i wanted to force my body into forcing more protien and carbs into the muscle than it normly would

there is no evidence that this makes any difference what so ever , me personaly i just take whey on it own unless im takin insulin

steroid-doc said:
to be honest it dosnt make any difference , they are both mega high GI , and would both cause an insulin spike , but post training insulin levels are very high anyway

this was purely the reason that sugars where consumed post training, to create an insulin spike which inturn would transport amini acids into the muscle to begin the repairs asap, but as insulin levels are high anyway it sort of defeats the object . the only time i can see sugars being beneficial is if you had completley depleted your glycogen stores which would be near impossible if your nutrition was good , or if i was taking exogenus insulin and i wanted to force my body into forcing more protien and carbs into the muscle than it normly would

there is no evidence that this makes any difference what so ever , me personaly i just take whey on it own unless im takin insulin

That's so unbelievably wrong I don't know where to start.

study nutrition and train for 15 years and you might start to come round to my way of thinking

please expand in full as to my i am wrong, but please dont quote the backs or post nutrition drinks , tell me you own reasoned conclusions ! dont just say your wrong

steroid-doc said:
study nutrition and train for 15 years and you might start to come round to my way of thinking

please expand in full as to my i am wrong, but please dont quote the backs or post nutrition drinks , tell me you own reasoned conclusions ! dont just say your wrong

You're right, that's fair.

First off, I don't care how long you say you've been studying nutrition. You could gain more applicable knowledge after 15 sessions of a college biology or nutrition class than you would in 15 years hanging out at the gym, reading Men's Fitness & the like, and the labels of GNC supplements you buy- all of which constitute "study" to a great many people, I have learned, to my dismay.

Much of what you write in your post is true, so here's the wrong part:

the only time i can see sugars being beneficial is if you had completley depleted your glycogen stores which would be near impossible if your nutrition was good , or if i was taking exogenus insulin and i wanted to force my body into forcing more protien and carbs into the muscle than it normly would

It doesn't matter how "good" your nutrition is, your glycogen stores are depleted from exercise and resistance training (not always completely); "good" nutrition entails eating the proper amount of carbohydrates to replete your glycogen. If your session is short and not intense, and you had something to eat before, it's possible to not dip into glycogen, but everyone in here is an athlete, and their sessions shouldn't be this light (besides, you shouldn't be eating high-GI before a workout anway, that's terrible). Also, blood-sugar levels fall during exercise, and I don't know who told you lifting raises your levels of insulin, but that's wrong, too; it raises your insulin sensitivity, not your insulin in the bloodstream.

And maltodextrin may have a higher glycemic index than dextrose, but it has a lower GI load. In a pure bulking phase, dextrose is probably preferred. Maltodextrin peaks in the system after 90 minutes, not 20-30 minutes, so they are very real differences if you time your nutrient intake, but otherwise, yeah, I was with you here, because that's really the only difference between maltodextrin (corn starch) and dextrose (corn sugar).

But telling athletes not to intake carbs following strength training is the worst possible advice one could give in the Diet forum.

the reasoning was liver glygogen needs to be transported to muscle cells aswell, so the insulin levels already acheived would be ample to deal with around 40 grams of protien , there no conclusive evidence that replenishing these glycogen stores or blood sugar levels in the 'post training window' makes any difference to muscle growth , supplying your body with amino acids does

I not not offering the worst advice possible by saying dont intake carbs post training far from it , I stick with whey alone to give my body amino acids which would be dealt with accordingly and take in some complex carbs as soon as i could stomach them , just dont see the reason to take in lots of high GI carbs , tried it and didnt benefit much

and who says i havent stuied college biology, just dont feel the need to shout it out everytime i want to give my argument credibilty

also I dont want this to become I dick flopping contest !

Back