• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Malignaggi is shook while sparring Conor

I really would like to see this session.

Given that Conor is in prime condition, bigger, stronger, Paulie not being a hard hitter and being out of shape, I guess Conor might have done okay.

Usually when you spar it's 50-75% with 14-16oz gloves and head gear...being slightly bigger or a harder puncher isn't a big deal, sparring under these circumstances often favors the smaller, faster more technical man.

I'd go into boxing gyms and spar around 75% with Heavyweights and Cruiserweights often, some guys were decent too, they had amateur backgrounds and 5-0, 6-0, 7-2 pro record types. I'd usually have my way with them in sparring, the speed advantage was usually apparent I could pick them apart and out move then pretty easily. I tend to walk around heavy but in amateur boxing I competed at 178 and in MMA 190, 195, 205 and Heavyweight but I'd fight pro at 170lbs most likely, maybe 185, maybe. So they'd usually put me in with their biggest guys.

But then when they put me in there with guys that were 147-160, I'm 5'11 so often the length was still fairly even or I wasn't that much longer they'd tell me as the bigger man to watch my shots (which is common sense, I would have anyways) but what I found was the smaller man goes harder than 75% usually, you go softer than 75% and the advantage of their speed and movement under these circumstances is overwhelmingly more relevant than your power and weight when you're wearing head gear, 16oz gloves and sometimes body shields....

Boxings great though, you can spar 75-90% without killing each other, sparring is the most effective training method. In MMA you can't spar like that, you'll destroy yourselves pretty quick. It's a big advantage boxing has as a sport, being able to spar the way they do.

Last edited:
this picture made me bet everything i own on conor

Conor troll game is next level.

giphy.gif

McGregor looks BIG, physically, he dwarfs Malignaggi here.

I think, come fight night, he is going to dwarf Mayweather and size MATTERS

Paulie is an inactive, defensive volume striker with girl scout KO power though. It's less interesting if Conor beat him up and more interesting how he beat him up. What I really want to know is if he managed to land punches in Paulie's slips and dips and how/if he controlled the distance, because that's what we'll be looking for against Floyd.

McGregor looks BIG, physically, he dwarfs Malignaggi here.

I think, come fight night, he is going to dwarf Mayweather and size MATTERS

Canelo is bigger than Conor, hits harder than Conor, is faster than Conor and is one of the best pound for pound boxers in the world with a lifetime of experience. He couldn't bother Mayweather over 12 rounds, why do you think Conor's size will matter?

Canelo is bigger than Conor, hits harder than Conor, is faster than Conor and is one of the best pound for pound boxers in the world with a lifetime of experience. He couldn't bother Mayweather over 12 rounds, why do you think Conor's size will matter?
>canelo is bigger than conor
no
>hits harder than conor
maybe
>is faster
maybe
>lifetime of experience
fought floyd at 21

Conor has a four inch reach advantage over Canelo.

Paulie is an inactive, defensive volume striker with girl scout KO power though. It's less interesting if Conor beat him up and more interesting how he beat him up. What I really want to know is if he managed to land punches in Paulie's slips and dips and how/if he controlled the distance, because that's what we'll be looking for against Floyd.
Floyd's not that big of a puncher either. I don't put a lot of weight on sparring session so footage is not that interesting to me. The only thing I am curious about is whether or not Conor's conditioning has improved and adapted to boxing's twelve rounds and higher pace. I've always wonder whether or not someone like Conor would benefit more from shorter rounds and more rest as opposed to longer MMA rounds.

Conor isn't anywhere near as thick and well muscled as Canelo though. Canelo is a puncher.

Yes Canelo is thicker, has more muscle, and is a puncher. You compared their size as if they are the same. A four inch difference in reach is a big deal. Conor is long and knows how to use it.

Back