Making the SHHHHH sound when punching.

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by Ezrie, Mar 28, 2008.

1. Ezrie

Ezrie Guest

I realize that people make this sound when punching/striking to make sure they are breathing properly (among other reasons) and this thread http://www.sherdog.net/forums/showthread.php?t=274567 seems to bear that out. However, has anyone ever thought that making an audible SHHHHHH sound when punching can actually turn out to be a "tell" when striking. I am not a professional by any means, but I seem to be able to time people's punches in sparring because they often make this shhhhh noise a split second earlier or at about the same time as they initiate their strike. Also, people will often shhhh in a rhythm that can tell you what is coming next. For example a long shhhh that trails off at the end is usually a heavier punch that is not immediately followed up, while a quick shhhh with no variation in tone usually means it will be quickly followed by more quick shhh (i.e. a combination).

Has anyone else ever noticed this?

2. T.J.T

T.J.T Green Belt

If you can read someone off there "shhhhh"'ing i would say your rpetty good. I tend to watch there body moving for the tells i read, thinking about there breathing (unless very obvous) i think is a waste of concentration.

on a side note, i yell or "hi'yeah" sound pretty loud when im going hard in training. i have yet to fight but i wouldnt be worried about making noise's.

3. T.J.T

T.J.T Green Belt

double post.

4. T.J.T

T.J.T Green Belt

double double post.

5. T.J.T

T.J.T Green Belt

double double double post.

6. Ezrie

Ezrie Guest

That is exactly the point: I don't think about it, I just do it I guess.

7. T.J.T

T.J.T Green Belt

Yeah i guess if its something that just came too you, power too you.

i get so focused in sports ive been in the ring once sparing and we had conner people and i shut them right off too.

im sure if i fought in a ring more i could train myself to listen to them better.

8. 2om30

2om30 Red Belt

i do that... it's breathing out like a kiai!

9. mayhem203

mayhem203 Blue Belt

well if u ask cung le is ush! not sshhhh!! and no it doesnt telegraph anything! if anything...it helps the striker...for multiple reasons

10. MUSK

MUSK Guest

SSSS for punches

AAAAHHHSSSS for kicks.

11. Ryukyu Damashi

Ryukyu Damashi Ryukyu Damashi

12. Jiu-Jitsu Cop

Jiu-Jitsu Cop Green Belt

I usually go oowww for punches and aarrrgggghhh for kicks. But that is just me.

Seriously the noise does not telegraph and the breathing is the tightening of your muscles.

13. Vector_X

Vector_X Brown Belt

I'm more of an aishhh kinda guy but personally i will try to check a persons body language more than the sound if i'm going to anticipate something.

14. Rinksterk**

Rinksterk** Banned Banned

If making the shh sound telegraphs strikes, then all fighters are pretty much screwed.

15. icyblue17

icyblue17 Orange Belt

I'm not really a fan of those shhh sounds. I only do that with power kicks and punches. The more you make the shhh sound, the more oxygen you emit, and that means you will get tired faster(atleast for me). I just do nasal breathing to conserve oxygen since my cardio is crap.

16. Jake Martin

Jake Martin Amateur Fighter

I'm very loud, kind of like Ricky Hatton when he's working body shots. Not only is it helpful for breathing, but I believe it can influence judges as well. Makes it seem as if your strikes are more powerful.

17. darnok

darnok Orange Belt

umm wat? When you exhale you "emit" carbon dioxide, and then immediatley afterwards inhale oxygen. lol it sounds like you're forgetting to inhale again after you exhale, which is really freakin weird. Either that or when you make the shhh sound I'm assuming you're also punching, and its the rapid punching making you tired, not the making of the shhh sound.

18. Marvin Covar

Marvin Covar Amateur Fighter

If you can tell your opponent is using your overly loud breathing to read you, surprise him with a Bruce Lee like whine. This works especially in western boxing, those I've sparred are usually caught by that.

19. icyblue17

icyblue17 Orange Belt

Okaay. I know it sounds hilarious but try doing a simple research on "buteyko breathing method". It is extremely hard to explain but reading some articles might give you some clues. That method has been used by athletes all over the world specially in Russia. That method helped me cure my asthma. Give it a try, who knows it might also help you.

Cheers!

20. ForeverFiending

ForeverFiending Blue Belt

It kind of comes simutaniously with the strike... it's not supposed to come BEFORE it... so, no... it shouldn't telegraph.

I only do it when I'm throwing some serious power. It helps. It somehow helps use the right muscles or the max of the striking muscles being called upon, or something like that.

I also believe it's intimidating to others... for sure. When you blast strikes with an authentic noise (it should come effortlessly, not conciously) then they get scared 9/10 :) because more than likely you have some power and you're not playing.