Making Chinatown a pedestrian only neighborhood + tech hub = super badass?

Iman Barlow

the boss
Reaction score
imagine all the cool street festivals and classy restaurants that would open up

P1030130.jpg

CNY-lantern-carnival-hk.jpg

isnt chinatown an ethnic enclave? (makin assimilation difficult)

also wats up w) all these asian threads lately? not racist but was just wonderin

I'd love to live in a place that was rid of vehicles (with perhaps biking allowed as a compromise); where everything is close enough to walking distance.

t_F_003.jpg

With cars, you can at least tell the difference.

I guess it depends on which Chinatown. The one in San Francisco sucks ass.

Sounds interesting. Needs more creative ideas for the imagination.

I wanna see some street fights hong kong style.

Imagine non stop kung foo fighting in the streets and people speaking but their words do not match their lips. Imagine the Japanese putting up signs saying "no chinese"

So something like Akihabara minus the cars?

wasnt aware that (1) there were only 3 chinatowns and (2) people still say frisco

SF china town is the one in Big trouble in little china it is the boss of China towns

imagine the cafe culture. the street food. the live music. etc.

it would resemble a european square meets enter the dragon.

I imagine Blade Runner and Anthony Bourdains making that come true.

It should be up to the residents of that area.

Doomberg tried to turn NYC chinatown into pedestrian only, or at least he seemed like he wanted to. He put in bike lanes everywhere, increased parking fees, shorten the times, and put up no parking signs in many places. He also decreased the lanes on lots of major streets to make room for pedestrian space.

I dont know if DeBlasio will continue the trend.

And pedestrian only does not equate to being better. Cars have its advantages too.

Ny or SF or LA?

Ironically, the Chinese In LA don't really live in Chinatown, and the best Chinese food isn't there, either. It's all about the San Gabriel Valley.

Back