Main differences between striking for MMA compared to other styles

spyu

White Belt
Reaction score
What are the main differences you guys see between striking for MMA as opposed to those of Muay Thai, Boxing, etc. I mean in terms of footwork, stance and what not. Obviously you don't use kicks in boxing, but comparing punching technique is it pretty much the same or are there a lot of differences?

Stance and guard for starters. MMA is more square on whereas boxing is somewhat side on while MT isn't as side on as boxing. MMA a lot of people have their hands low, chest height, for takedown defense, in Muay Thai they're always up - same with most boxing styles. Muay Thai is taking on adaptations from western boxing in regards to footwork,head movement etc. Should probably add in as well that in boxing you'll see a bit of "shoulder roll" being used, especially by Floyd Mayweather. You won't get this in MMA and rarely in Muay Thai.

MMA striking is in my eyes very sloppy, a lot of wild hooks and haymakers being thrown in place of straight punching. Of course you get the ones that put time into striking and do well in MMA. Punching technique is almost universally the same, a jab's a jab, a cross a cross and a hooks a hook.

Stance and guard for starters. MMA is more square on whereas boxing is somewhat side on while MT isn't as side on as boxing. MMA a lot of people have their hands low, chest height, for takedown defense, in Muay Thai they're always up - same with most boxing styles. Muay Thai is taking on adaptations from western boxing in regards to footwork,head movement etc. Should probably add in as well that in boxing you'll see a bit of "shoulder roll" being used, especially by Floyd Mayweather. You won't get this in MMA and rarely in Muay Thai.

MMA striking is in my eyes very sloppy, a lot of wild hooks and haymakers being thrown in place of straight punching. Of course you get the ones that put time into striking and do well in MMA. Punching technique is almost universally the same, a jab's a jab, a cross a cross and a hooks a hook.

Well said.
The biggest problem with MMA is that alot of fighters are a jack of all trades...master of none. Don't get me wrong, I love MMA but the striking is extremely lacking.
The few that master the striking aspect go on to become world champions.

Anderson Silva
Shogun
Jose Aldo
Frankie Edgar

These guys show what happens when you perfect the stand-up game in MMA.
You become a world champ.

Well said.
The biggest problem with MMA is that alot of fighters are a jack of all trades...master of none. Don't get me wrong, I love MMA but the striking is extremely lacking.

Anderson Silva
Shogun
Jose Aldo
Frankie Edgar

Easy there killer, don't go throwing the word "perfect" around lightly. Even those guys could be destroyed in their respective styles of stand up against pros of that style. And their stand up isn't the only reason they're champs, their are some other factors there.

Easy there killer, don't go throwing the word "perfect" around lightly. Even those guys could be destroyed in their respective styles of stand up against pros of that style. And their stand up isn't the only reason they're champs, their are some other factors there.

I think he's describing MMA striking, such as the Muay Thai and boxing adaptations that you see. Obviously the fighters mentioned earlier would probably get tooled in a strict fight of those disciplines against a pro, but they've "perfected" their style to MMA to deal with takedowns etc.

Well said.

Anderson Silva
Shogun
Jose Aldo
Frankie Edgar

i dont think shogun and edgar should be in that list..

i guess that goes both ways..

In yellow bamboo we hold our hands up and everybody falls where in MMA they kick our asses :icon_lol:

What are the main differences you guys see between striking for MMA as opposed to those of Muay Thai, Boxing, etc. I mean in terms of footwork, stance and what not. Obviously you don't use kicks in boxing, but comparing punching technique is it pretty much the same or are there a lot of differences?

The obvious one is that preparing to defend the takedown influences your balance and defensive footwork.

Also, I don't know about others but defensively my hands tend to drift downward when I'm particularly worried about being shot in on.

Other than not, nothing really changes except strategy.

In MMA head movement is practiced enough, which i feel would help alot of fighters

Ppl talk about the footwork being different because of take downs--meh. Footwork is less refined all round, and often times leads to more susceptibility to take downs than not(mma fighters throw almost everything flat-footed). I believe the take down threat affects distancing more than anything...guys just fight from further away in mma.

In sum, MMAist are less refined, more flat-footed and fight from very different distances than most other, 'purer' styles.

The main difference is that many MMA strikers have grappling backgrounds.

The biggest difference between the above mentioned striking arts and MMA, in MMA striking they can hit you on the ground as well as on the feet, seems an elementary answer but it is the #1 contributing factor to what "changes the rules of engagement" in MMA vs. Boxing or MT, etc. Striking is striking and a fight is a fight, the factors that change strategy and practical application of striking are dictated by the "rules" that promote or inhibit how the fight takes place.....

The obvious one is that preparing to defend the takedown influences your balance and defensive footwork.

Also, I don't know about others but defensively my hands tend to drift downward when I'm particularly worried about being shot in on.

Other than not, nothing really changes except strategy.

I know what you mean. However, if you take that fear of being taken down away. You would probably see a more drastic improvement in the striking than anything else. for the most part a lot of people are just afraid to commit fully into the strikes.

If you watch how Anderson Silva and shogun Rua fight, you'll see that they commit to their strikes because even if they get taken down they believe in their ground game.

I notice this especially when I spar for MMA. If I know I'm going against a strong wrestler(which we have quite a few) I won't commit as well and just get my ass beat. However when I just "let my hands go" against the same people, I have a much better time disrupting their timing and take down attempts

I know what you mean. However, if you take that fear of being taken down away. You would probably see a more drastic improvement in the striking than anything else. for the most part a lot of people are just afraid to commit fully into the strikes.

If you watch how Anderson Silva and shogun Rua fight, you'll see that they commit to their strikes because even if they get taken down they believe in their ground game.

I notice this especially when I spar for MMA. If I know I'm going against a strong wrestler(which we have quite a few) I won't commit as well and just get my ass beat. However when I just "let my hands go" against the same people, I have a much better time disrupting their timing and take down attempts

No argument but every so often so run into that guy who's just better than you at getting it to the ground and better than you when it gets there. :(

biggest diff to me is the attention to defense; guys in mma are at least competent in being effective offensively, they can all kick punch elbow and knee w/some basic level of competency/functionality.....

what they can't do is defend themselves, example rampage can effectively kick punch knee; but can't check a leg kick. An this is the case w/most mma guys, that is why when somene shows solid def skills, i.e. footwork-angles,dist,movement-blocks/checks/parries-or slips, they are usually so effective/dominant.

want proof-
randy couture lhw/hw champion who has shown a propensity for slipping, bobbing, weaving, blocking and using clinches def.

chuck liddel-basically used footwork angles and distancing to terrorize the div

lyoto machida same as liddel w/blocks and parries

rashad evans- mobility-upperbody/headmovement

frankie edgar-footwork, slips, blocks, parries, checks, angles

kenny florian- same as edgar

guys who have more or less ran through/cleaned out their div

Back