Movies MADAME WEB (Dragonlord's Review; Bombs with $25.8M in First 6 Days)

If you have seen MADAME WEB, how would you rate it?

• Total voters

Dragonlordxxxxx

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Update: February 14, 2024

Dragonlord’s Review of MADAME WEB (No Spoilers)

Bottom Line: Boasting one of the worst acting, dialogue and storytelling in modern comic book history, Sony’s Madame Web is so atrocious that it makes Morbius semi-passable in comparison.

NBkArs9.jpeg

Madame Web is the latest pathetic attempt from Sony Pictures to create their own Spider-Man cinematic universe by using Spidey’s supporting characters and villains and giving them their own solo live-action feature films.

Sony got lucky with the first Venom movie which was a surprise hit because that was released in 2018 where the quality of superhero films were at an all-time high and the public was clamoring for comic book movie content. But Venom’s success just sent the wrong message to Sony as the studio was encouraged to implement their expansion plans. Sony’s next two projects – Venom: Let There Be Carnage and Morbius – were absolute garbage and Madame Web might be their worst effort yet.

From the initial announcement of a Madame Web movie, people were laughing at Sony for scraping the bottom of the barrel. To make matters worse, Sony didn’t even bother to give the project a fighting chance as they hired the same writers who were responsible for stinkers like Morbius, Power Rangers, The Last Witch Hunter and Gods of Egypt. The opening of Madame Web even feels almost identical to the opening of Morbius with a prologue showing key characters trying to capture some animal.

In Madame Web, Cassandra Webb (Dakota Johnson) is a paramedic who discovers she has precognition powers. She saves three young women from being killed by a deadly killer who is hellbent on murdering them. Constantly being hunted by the killer, Cassandra has to keep the girls safe and figure out her connection to the killer before it’s too late for all of them.

It’s an interesting premise which is a cross between The Terminator and Final Destination but just terribly executed. The film has a clunky vibe to it like you are watching a superhero movie made from the 1990s. But the biggest blunder is casting Dakota Johnson as the lead. Her acting is so wooden and her line delivery is so flat. You couple that with some of the worst dialogue in cinema and you get some major cringey moments, especially her embarrassing monologue at the very end. The silly pose and her superhero costume just looks so laughably bad. From telepathically communicating in her dream, seeing the past and interacting with people or being physically everywhere all at once, Cassandra's powers are so inconsistent and all over the place, like they just made up stuff to move the plot along.

Tahar Rahim plays the villain Ezekiel Sims, who wants to murder the three girls because he has been plagued by visions for years that the three girls will eventually gain powers and kill him. The villain is so uninteresting and boring that I wished they would have cast Matt Smith again and let him go nuts with it to at least keep it entertaining. It’s also a dumb move by Sony to let Ezekiel dress up similarly to Spider-Man as it somewhat tarnishes the hero’s image. It’s equally stupid to introduce an Amazonian tribe with Spider-Man-like powers.

The three girls (played by Sydney Sweeney, Isabela Merced and Celeste O’Connor) are good eye candy but they’re so bland and forgettable that you just don’t care about these characters. They show glimpses of the future where they’re supposed to become female versions of Spider-Man but you just feel empty and don’t care at all. And that is a critical failure on the movie since we just feel nothing for these characters whether they live or die. Actually, you kinda want them to die after they make stupid decisions one after the next.

Sony so badly wants to tie this movie to Peter Parker that they’ve included a young Ben Parker (Peter’s Uncle and played by Adam Scott) and Mary Parker (Peter’s mom played by Emma Roberts) but the film is just so awful that it cheapens Peter’s history a little. They even painfully and shamelessly scrambled the iconic line of "With great power, comes great responsibility" and came up with the comical, "When you take on the responsibility, great power will come."

There were initial reports that the story was supposed to be a pregnant Mary Parker being hunted by Ezekiel and objectively speaking that would have been a better angle because we know how important Peter Parker would become in the future. It gives the movie better stakes. It’s like The Terminator where Sarah Connor would give birth to a son that would lead the humans against the machines. But what we ended up with Madame Web is a lame story about three unknown girls becoming superheroines that looked straight out of a CW show.

There is no end-credits scene which is a huge relief since Sony has a knack of creating the dumbest, most confusing stingers in the past (see Morbius) in order to force a connection to the real Spider-Man.

PRELIMINARY RATING: 2/10

(Please leave a Like if you appreciate my reviews.)

are their links to other movies that we should be concerned about?
If you are referring to what they did with the post-credits scene of Morbius, thankfully there's nothing like that. But it is still kinda upsetting that the movie is part of Peter Parker's history since Ben Parker and Mary Parker are here.

Did they assume it was going to be a date movie? After all, it was released on Valentine's Day.

You could tell it was going to be bad when they only released one trailer. I saw that movie with sweeney anyone but you and that girl has one of the most obnoxious valley girl voices Ive ever heard. Good thing no one is listening to what she says.

My 20 year old went to see it with a friend from uni .

His opinion -

" I walked out halfway through."
" I feel asleep for 10 minutes"
"Possibly the worst film I've watched, you couldn't even laugh AT it..."

This from a kid that has seen a fair few howlers with me over the years but loves the whole cinema experience...I don't remember him walking out of a film before.

Cyclops doesn't get enough love, but he's a BAMF in his own right. At one point even fucking Magneto is impressed by Scott's ruthlessness and ability to manipulate people.
I only realized that Cyclops is appreciated when I searched on Reddit years ago. No one wanted a straight edged, cis, white male then, not now in this social environment.

Thank you for the review. I’d bet cash money that it’s more interesting than the actual movie. I almost want to watch it now just to see how bad it is but thank you for saving a sherpup some green.

I was reading reviews on IMDB today; it got torn a new asshole lol.

"Literally one of the worst superhero movies I have ever seen."
"Makes Morbius look like the Godfather 2"
"Sony is such a horrible company, someone needs to put them out of their misery."
"Not even a funny disaster like thor: love & thunder but a boring disaster worse than morbius."
"I see value in almost every movie. I watched the Birds Of Prey TV show. I now understand what it means to want your time back."

I was reading reviews on IMDB today; it got torn a new asshole lol.

"Literally one of the worst superhero movies I have ever seen."
"Makes Morbius look like the Godfather 2"
"Sony is such a horrible company, someone needs to put them out of their misery."
"Not even a funny disaster like thor: love & thunder but a boring disaster worse than morbius."
"I see value in almost every movie. I watched the Birds Of Prey TV show. I now understand what it means to want your time back."

<{anton}>

The three girls (played by Sydney Sweeney, Isabel Merced and Celeste O’Connor) are good eye candy but they’re so bland and forgettable that you just don’t care about these characters.

They’re not even properly employed as eye candy because they took the hottest one (Sweeney) and cast her as the least sexualized, most buttoned up of the three.

And if Anyone But You (where Sweeney is one of the producers mind you) proved anything is that she absolutely does not mind putting the goods on display if it will put butts on seats. So it wasn’t at her insistence.

Back