• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Luke Thomas does an entire video throwing shade at Helwani, basically callling him a Conor shill

I know that most of you guys hate Luke, but I thought that this was a thoughtful and introspective take on the state of the "MMA media" and that softball interview on ESPN yesterday.

Cliffs:

MMA journalism
  • Stopped calling himself a "journalist" recently because he realizes that it's a totally dishonest description of what he does.
    • Says the fact that he ever called himself one is a "personal failing" and apologizes for having done so.
  • Most MMA "interviews" including press scrums are fake.
    • Luke has cut back on doing interviews because it's almost impossible to do a tough interview without losing access.
    • To get continued access to MMA figures (even minor ones) you have to play a game where you never really harshly criticize them in public to the point of dishonesty about what's going on in the sport.
    • Has had fighters refuse to do interviews with him over extremely mild criticism: i.e. saying that a fighter had "bad cardio" after a fight where he gassed out.
  • The sport isn't big or relevant enough for proper journalism.
    • There's no mandated media outside of promotional pressers, so the fighters have every right to shut out people that they don't like.
  • Says that in order to be an honest actor in the MMA media sphere, you have to make a decision about whether you want to do interviews or real commentary on the sport.
    • To do the latter effectively, you're going to have to speak in a manner that will lose you access to most fighters/manager/trainers etc.
    • This was one of the reasons why he bailed on The MMA Hour.
  • Has refocused his radio show to doing interviews with actual sports journalists instead of fighters/managers.
    • Thinks that it's much easier to have honest conversations with boxing people. This is one of the reasons that he's ventured into boxing coverage.
  • As a media figure, he's done playing the game trying to appease people. Doesn't care if people in the industry hate what he says.
  • The MMA Journalists Association is a joke organization.
    • Doesn't address wide scale structural problems in MMA media.
    • Is not in a position to actually do anything for its members.

McGregor ESPN interview
  • Not much of substance besides the news about the Gaethje fight and his hand issue.
  • Apology was just PR.
    • If McGregor wants to change perceptions, he should stop acting like an idiot in public.
  • McGregor is good for the sport when his head is on straight.
  • Says it was ridiculous that the topic of the New York Times story about the rape investigation was not broached.
    • Acknowledges that this is a legal landmine for McGregor and that he can't go into detail about this stuff even if he is innocent, but says that's McGregor's issue to deal with.
    • The interviewer had a responsibility to his audience ask McGregor about a story that ran in one of the biggest newspapers on the planet.
    • Acknowledges that this likely would have been the last interview that Ariel ever did with McGregor if this question would have been asked.
    • However, maintains that it is the responsibility of a real journalist to raise the issue of McGregor's escalating pattern of anti-social behavior.
  • The interview was essentially just PR for McGregor.
  • Says that the same level of scrutiny that Greg Hardy gets about his past should be applied to everybody.
    • i.e. Khabib should be getting tough questions about his association with Kadyrov.

Closes the video by apologizing again for most of his coverage of the sport up until this point. Will try to do better. Welcomes criticism from fans.

Bravo, those are outstanding Cliffs. Well worth the extra length because it a significant video. Not only Luke explaining his change of direction. Also a mea culpa saying he himself was a shill for a year. Pretty significant that he's now distancing himself from the shenanigans. Rarely does one see a 'journalist' drop that label. Wish a lot of other self-described journalists would do the same, though they probably couldn't ever work again in big corporate media. Respect to Luke for saying 'fuck all that' and going rogue.

I love Ariel but Luke has way more integrity as an analyst/journalist. Slacky and Okamoto are the best in the game right now though.
Ariel is a shill, but okamoto, the literal mouthpiece of dana white isn't?

Maybe the purpose of an interview is to let the fans hear their favourite fighters talk about their careers. Ariel pushed the outside octagon questions pretty far, but are we looking to hear Conor talk about his crimes or what the hell is going on in his mma mind. We're mma fans, not a gossip blog.

This. People shitting on Ariel for not asking about the rape among other things are idiots. Go watch TMZ instead of listening to Helwani who is actually interested in Conor coming back to the sport we love.

As if Luke, the cuck, Thomas would have asked difficult questions, I'm laughing so hard at the people that think this guy would've done anything different if Conor would've given him an interview.

f7FdEdG_d.jpg

He doesnt mention ariels name, but its pretty obvious who he is talking about

Some bits from the youtube comments section:

bs18201
"Whatever you do don’t say Ariel Helwani"

Benjamin Young1
So much shade thrown at Ariel it’s hilarious

Mackenson Sparks1
The burial of Ariel helwani begins

sdfbf1
we all know Ariel Helwani will bow down and thank his lord Conor every time he is granted an interview with his king and idol, no matter what bad deeds he does

Breno Girafa1
that's honest af. Ariel's interview was completely vanilla.

<This7>

Cliffs by @Phisher

MMA journalism
  • Stopped calling himself a "journalist" recently because he realizes that it's a totally dishonest description of what he does.
    • Says the fact that he ever called himself one is a "personal failing" and apologizes for having done so.
    • Luke has cut back on doing interviews because it's almost impossible to do a tough interview without losing access.
    • To get continued access to MMA figures (even minor ones) you have to play a game where you never really harshly criticize them in public to the point of dishonesty about what's going on in the sport.
    • Has had fighters refuse to do interviews with him over extremely mild criticism: i.e. saying that a fighter had "bad cardio" after a fight where he gassed out.
    • There's no mandated media outside of promotional pressers, so the fighters have every right to shut out people that they don't like.
  • Says that in order to be an honest actor in the MMA media sphere, you have to make a decision about whether you want to do interviews or real commentary on the sport.
    • To do the latter effectively, you're going to have to speak in a manner that will lose you access to most fighters/manager/trainers etc.
  • Has refocused his radio show to doing interviews with actual sports journalists instead of fighters/managers.
    • Thinks that it's much easier to have honest conversations with boxing people. This is one of the reasons that he's ventured into boxing coverage.
  • As a media figure, he's done playing the game trying to appease people. Doesn't care if people in the industry hate what he says.

McGregor ESPN interview
  • Not much of substance besides the news about the Gaethje fight and his hand issue.
  • Apology was just PR.
    • If McGregor wants to change perceptions, he should stop acting like an idiot in public.
  • Says it was ridiculous that the topic of the New York Times story about the rape investigation was not broached.
    • Acknowledges that this is a legal landmine for McGregor and that he can't go into detail about this stuff even if he is innocent, but says that's McGregor's issue to deal with.
    • The interviewer had a responsibility to his audience ask McGregor about a story that ran in one of the biggest newspapers on the planet.
    • Acknowledges that this likely would have been the last interview that Ariel ever did with McGregor if this question would have been asked.
    • However, maintains that it is the responsibility of a real journalist to raise the issue of McGregor's escalating pattern of anti-social behavior.
  • Says that the same level of scrutiny that Greg Hardy gets about his past should be applied to everybody.
    • i.e. Khabib should be getting tough questions about his association with Kadyrov.

My take away from this is nothing more than being impressed he isn't calling himself a "Journalist" anymore.

Journalists investigate and uncover stories, they don't just ask "hard questions" based on rumours they heard in one form or another.

Have you ever heard of an NFL/ NHL/ NBA/ MLB/ Boxing "journalist"?

Of course you haven't because they aren't fucking journalists, they are sports reporters and analysts, only in MMA do we call them and they claim to be " journalists", lol.

Its not a direct attack.

If you are expecting him to go directly at him to start a fight you'll be disappointed. He speaks in broad terms, exactly to avoid that. Its more of a throwing shade thing than calling him out.

But as you can see from the comment section i posted, thats pretty much what the video is about. Those are the top voted comments, with hundreds of votes and the video isnt even 1 hour old. I didnt cherry pick to make this point.
I meant he was hemming and hawing for 5 min and kept repeating your not supposed to win an interview....get to the point luke, you shouldn’t have needed 5 edit points in 5 minutes if you’re not saying anything of substance

I recall getting slammed on this forum years ago when I said Helwani is no journalist.

Vindicated

Who saw that ESPN interview, put on their best Diaz voice and thought "I am not surprised Mother f***ers" ?

f7FdEdG_d.jpg

bs18201

Benjamin Young1

Mackenson Sparks1

sdfbf1
we all know Ariel Helwani will bow down and thank his lord Conor every time he is granted an interview with his king and idol, no matter what bad deeds he does

Breno Girafa1

<This7>

Cliffs by @Phisher

MMA journalism

McGregor ESPN interview
  • Apology was just PR.

Went above and beyond with the cliffs. Thank you.

Considering that Luke Thomas is a shill and apologist for Jon Jones, I'm not sure he's really the one who should be making this argument.

He's not wrong, just a hypocrite for doing literally the same thing with Jones

I thought Jones didn't like Luke and refused to talk to him....?

f7FdEdG_d.jpg

bs18201

Benjamin Young1

Mackenson Sparks1

sdfbf1

Breno Girafa1

<This7>

Cliffs by @Phisher

MMA journalism

McGregor ESPN interview
  • Apology was just PR.

I like Luke, but I don't like the way he's trying to hoist himself up as some kind of virtuous MMA journalist rebel. He's not only throwing Ariel under the bus, but he's firing shots at his collegues like Brett Okomoto and John Morgan.

He's also not taking into conisderation that the fans aren't stupid. We know media throws soft ball questions. There's an art to media scrums. I don't think he deserves edgy points for throwing "tough" questions at fighters.

I also find him a touch hypocritical. He act's like he wouldn't sell his soul to do Ariels job, but is willing to bend over for that clown Brendan Schaub.

Last edited:
It’s funny that the thumbnail of the video is a picture of conor

Id rather be in ariels or brett okamoto shoes then lukes. The other guys get all the big interviews. So what if they're shills., They're on espn getting paid.

Ummm, ok... You do realize PTI has won a ton of awards and Wilbon/Kornheiser are easily 2 of the most respected and intelligent journalists in the game, right? They are totally respected by their peers and the athletes.
Wow. That’s so sad.

Won't even watch the video. All i gotta say is it's pure beauty when fake people call out even faker people for being phony.
A truly amazing spectacle that is. You can really see the second side of the coin in every of these guys.

I have more respect for Luke Thomas after watching this, good video

As if Luke wouldn't do the same if he was offered the ESPN job instead of Ariel. Jealousy is a bad look for anyone.

Funny thing is his boy Brendan Schaub slobbers on Conor's knob more than anyone. He even brushed off the dolly throwing incident like it was nothing.

Back