Low energy during training

dwas

White Belt
Reaction score
In the later portion of my training session, I seem to lose a lot of energy and feel very weak especially during heavy bag work. My cardio seems to hold up during my sessions but maintaining strength and explosiveness without getting weak and shaky needs a lot of work. I know strength and power are developed over time but maybe I need to address my diet. It isn't very strict, but I do try to get at least 1 gram of protein per 1 pound of bodyweight (is that generally a good amount by the way?), plenty of calories, and enough fruits, veggies, and greek yogurt (I'm addicted to the cherry flavor by the way lol). Would I have to increase some of those perhaps?

In the later portion of my training session, I seem to lose a lot of energy and feel very weak especially during heavy bag work. My cardio seems to hold up during my sessions but maintaining strength and explosiveness without getting weak and shaky needs a lot of work. I know strength and power are developed over time but maybe I need to address my diet. It isn't very strict, but I do try to get at least 1 gram of protein per 1 pound of bodyweight (is that generally a good amount by the way?), plenty of calories, and enough fruits, veggies, and greek yogurt (I'm addicted to the cherry flavor by the way lol). Would I have to increase some of those perhaps?

There you go

Probably worry less about the protein, because that's not what's going to be fueling your muscles during your workouts. Instead eat more carbohydrates. Whole grain rice or whatever. That's whats going to allow you to exert yourself.

Yup 1-1.5grams of Protein per pound of body weight is ideal!

1)The first thing you should adjust to help give you the energy you need for a full workout is your Diet. I'm not sure where you are at as far as body composition goes (want to lose fat? Maintain around your current weight while putting on lean muscle mass? or bulk up?).

Anyways, use the Calorie calculator below to figure out how many Calories your body needs on average to maintain your current weight. If you want to lose weight, subtract 500 calories from that #, keep it the same if you want to maintain your current weight, or add 500 calories if you want to put on a little weight/mass.

http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

After you decide on your daily Calorie intake, use the Nutrient Calculator below to get your MacroNutrients aka Macros (Lets you control how many grams of Carbs, Protein, Fat you get your calories from). Set your Protein % to make it so you're getting 1-1.5g per lbs, then decide on your Carbs & Fats.

http://www.freedieting.com/tools/nutrient_calculator.htm

Get some good carb dominant food in you 1-2hours before training.

2) Rest: Are you getting 8+ hours sleep every night? Also, try out a 30-1hr nap during the day to see if it helps

3) Drinking enough water? 1 gallon per day. Drinking enough water during training?

4) Stamina: It will get better with time, but you may also try some stamina building exercises if you have the free time. Maybe more shadow boxing or heavy bag work on non training days?

5) Supplements: Are you taking Caffeine? If yes, how many mg and when do you take it? If you aren't taking Caffeine and are not sensitive to it, maybe you should see if it helps.

Creatine Monohydrate, Beta Alanine, Citrulline Malate: Performance enhancing supplements listed in order of proven results through scientific studies. I just ordered Ndure from TrueNutrition which has 250mg Caffeine, 5g Creatine Monohydrate, 4g Beta Alanine, and 1.5g Citrulline Malate per serving. Hasn't been shipped yet, but it seems like a solid mix. (Not affiliated with that company in any way)

Ndure http://www.truenutrition.com/p-1177-ndure-32-servings.aspx?vid=1219

Last edited:
Yes, because strictness = effective. lol

This is a problem related to training. Get stronger, get better endurance. Food probably won't fix this. S&C is that-a-way ----->

So you're saying if he paid more attention to his nutrition it WOULDN'T help? that is asinine. If he's not paying attention to his nutrition how does he know he is getting enough calories? How does he know he is attaining proper macros (aside from the protein he mentioned)? If you're insinuating that nutrition has no affect on energy levels, then you would be incorrect.

So you're saying if he paid more attention to his nutrition it WOULDN'T help? that is asinine. If he's not paying attention to his nutrition how does he know he is getting enough calories? How does he know he is attaining proper macros (aside from the protein he mentioned)? If you're insinuating that nutrition has no affect on energy levels, then you would be incorrect.

He gets tired later on in his training sessions. Unless his body just spontaneously decides he doesn't have enough calorie intake only nearing the end of his training session, I don't think that's the cause.

If he complained about low energy levels or bad performance in daily life or from start to finish in his training sessions I might be more inclined to think it's a diet issue. Although his diet could probably be addressed, the more pressing issue is likely his training and preparation.

Simply drinking water when you're thirsty works better then any set figure.

I see your point, to a point. People who aren't used to drinking adequate amounts of Water may not realize that they are thirsty. Sometimes it can be mistaken for hunger. Other times, people may feel weak or get headaches and not realize that it's their body's way of telling them Drink more water!

Yes, because strictness = effective. lol

This is a problem related to training. Get stronger, get better endurance. Food probably won't fix this. S&C is that-a-way ----->

eat something shitty pre workout.

eat something healthy pre workout.

let me know which workout was more successful.

ts, what do you normally eat before your workouts? are you getting a good nights sleep?

eat something shitty pre workout.

eat something healthy pre workout.

let me know which workout was more successful.

My preworkout meal in summer is typically a slurpee or some five cent candies.

Hell, flat pepsi/coke is a common beverage before and during high level marathons/triathlons.

I did the whole "only eat healthy foods" thing while training for a triathlon a few years back, and it was probably the worst training cycle and performance I've ever had. Yet when I biked across Costa Rica I was living off of a diet of mainly Nutella, powerade, bananas, and tortillas and felt great.

My preworkout meal in summer is typically a slurpee or some five cent candies.

Hell, flat pepsi/coke is a common beverage before and during high level marathons/triathlons.

I did the whole "only eat healthy foods" thing while training for a triathlon a few years back, and it was probably the worst training cycle and performance I've ever had. Yet when I biked across Costa Rica I was living off of a diet of mainly Nutella, powerade, bananas, and tortillas and felt great.

congratulations.

this is going to sound crazy to you, but not everyone (and by that, i mean most people) cant perform as well on a shitty diet.

congratulations.

this is going to sound crazy to you, but not everyone (and by that, i mean most people) cant perform as well on a shitty diet.

hhhmmm...

1) My diet is not shitty. I select the pre- and intra-workout food/beverages that I consume for a reason. And because it tastes good.

2) "Healthy" and sports performance do not converge as much as people think, at least not using common perceptions of "healthy".

3) "Eating healthy" is almost a meaningless term that has different definitions for everyone, and in an objective sense varies from person to person depending on health and metabolic status.

youre right. slurpees, candy, and soda are great options.

Eating "clean" in the conventional sense is such a boring way to live and train with imo. Most people have a hard time dieting because they try to eat "clean" all the time. Clean in the context most people use it is lean meat, plain fruits and vegetables, and "good" fats. Or to the paleo crowd, meat and vegetables. Clean to me is any food that helps me hit my calories and macros, which often includes cheeseburgers, Frosted Mini Wheats, whole milk, and other things most people call dirty.

Eating "clean" in the conventional sense is such a boring way to live and train with imo. Most people have a hard time dieting because they try to eat "clean" all the time. Clean in the context most people use it is lean meat, plain fruits and vegetables, and "good" fats. Or to the paleo crowd, meat and vegetables. Clean to me is any food that helps me hit my calories and macros, which often includes cheeseburgers, Frosted Mini Wheats, whole milk, and other things most people call dirty.

This is precisely it. Flat pop, candy and slurpees are not always the "healthy" choice, but sometimes they are the right choice barring the right person in the right circumstance.

After you decide on your daily Calorie intake, use the Nutrient Calculator below to get your MacroNutrients aka Macros Lets you control how many grams of Carbs, Protein, Fat you get your calories from.

Back