low card diet while training hard?

Frode Falch

Steel Belt
Professional Fighter
Reaction score
How would it work if i went on a diet without any carbs for almost 5 weeks. while training hard.

You'd feel like shit, probably.

I've done a lowcarb diet and muscled through some workouts, but it's miserable and my enthusiasm level was very low, and i couldnt recover for shit.

but should i still do it? i mean, thailand is five weeks away. and i am 81 kg. :)

On a keto diet I find workouts same as normal only difference is no hunger and always tons of energy.
Individual differences I guess.

but should i still do it? i mean, thailand is five weeks away. and i am 81 kg. :)

I wouldn't. How will you replenish your muscular glycogen? I wouldn't eat carbs at night, but if you're working out hard you simply need to have carbs or you'll start burning through your muscle, plus it'll be really hard to force yourself through workouts.

If you just eat complex carbs before the workouts and then your usual protein and vegetables after. I find things like sweet potatoes are really good, whole grain etc.

Eat carbs post workout or pre workout. Your regular meals can be carb free.

I hope you eat a lot of fat, because you'll be without all kinds of energy.

Why not just go with a diet with carbs and a sufficient calorie deficit?

Why not just go with a diet with carbs and a sufficient calorie deficit?

^ Yup. No need to cut out carbs completely. Just eat at a caloric deficit and get a majority of your calories from Healthy Fats, Lean Protein, complex carbs, and fruit + veggies.

You can eat more carbs on training days and less on off days. Eat carbs pre and post workout and get fiberous carbs through green veggies the rest of the time.

If you are training that hard there is no reason to reduce carbs so drastically. You're hindering your progress for sure.

How would it work if i went on a diet without any carbs for almost 5 weeks. while training hard.

If you do a ketogenic diet I think you will be fine. I have been doing it for a year now and feel healthier than ever, I always have energy.
However, at least for me, when I changed to low-carb I got weaker for a few months. Then I felt my body adapted, and now I feel I have better endurance than before.

If you want to do it properly I think you should avoid carbs before or after exercise as well since you want your body to adapt as fast as possible. The problem is that you need to make your cell utilize fat as fuel, either the one you eat, or use stored fat in the body. If you eat carbs, the body will use the glycogen as fuel as long as it's available. This will slow down the adaptation process.

Check this interview with Peter Attia if you have time, he has some experience with low-carb performance:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hB7aGnfLB-8

Back