Low Carb Snacks

Valiss

Reaction score
I'm looking for low carb snacks to munch on while I'm at work in front of the desk. I've tried the low carb protien bars, but most of them are expensive for what you get. If you are doing low carb, I'd like to hear what you snack on. Here are some of the things I enjoy:

Beef jerkey
Nuts/seeds (spicy ones are the best)
hard boiled eggs
veggies (and dip)

veggies are the only carbs i take throughout the day. More carbs for PWO.

veggies are the only carbs i take throughout the day. More carbs for PWO.

+1, I munch on raw broccoli, califlower, spinach and cottage cheese (occasional plain yogurt) while at work.

+1, I munch on raw broccoli, califlower, spinach and cottage cheese (occasional plain yogurt) while at work.

Oh cottage cheese, I forgot about that. I'll def have to pick some up. PLus it's good source of calcium I'd wager.

Make sure you check the label on the cottage cheese. Not all of it is low carb. The fat free is especially carb laden (not that it's like eating a bowl of ice cream or anything though).

Protein shakes are good also. I also like having my girlfriend cook up some boneless skinless chicken tenders and using different sauces on them (obviously watch what sauce and how much).

In general though, two best options would be:
Veggies, sometimes when dieting the crunch you get out of raw veggies goes a long way to satisfy your hunger and give you the feel of eating more than you really are.
Protein: Whether it comes in the form of meat (which isn't real easy to just carry around) or a shake, you can get a good snack in and keep the carbs low.

Remember there are certain veggies that are quite high carb even though they don't taste particularly sweet. Carrots for example.

I have been on CKD since January with great results. I am in outside sales and dont always have time to come home for lunch or sit down at a decent restaurant. You can however eat low carb with a little planning and strategy. The trick is fat. The more fat you eat the fuller you feel, I think a great snack is a combination of fat,protein and fiber all of which keeps you full longer than starch and will go along way in a caloric deficit in losing weight. I like the following to acheive this
cheddar or colby cheese cubes+raw veggies(broccoli,cauliflower,etc)
beef jerky(homemade is best, some store brands have alot of "extras")+almonds,walnuts,etc
pepperoni(salami,think fat) slices+ rawveggies
string cheese+almonds,walnuts,sunflower seeds,etc
leftover bacon(just cook extra)from breakfast + raw veggies
smoked salmon+ raw veggies
boiled eggs(or deviled eggs)+ raw veggies

just a few ideas to get you started, remember to not snack blindly because calories are calories, if you are looking to lose wight increase amounts of veggies to stay full on fiber. I find however that if I am taking in 60-70% of my cal from fat I can train hard but am fuller much longer. Play around with it and see what works

lately I've been packing the following for mid-day snacks on the road:

ostrim jerky (it's beef and ostrich)
tangerines (no seeds, easy to peel)
blueberries
apples (braeburn or fuji lately)
muscle milk light bars
and as always, more water than I could possibly need.

lately I've been packing the following for mid-day snacks on the road:

ostrim jerky (it's beef and ostrich)
tangerines (no seeds, easy to peel)
blueberries
apples (braeburn or fuji lately)
muscle milk light bars
and as always, more water than I could possibly need.

Mmmm........ostrich......*drools*

Berardi has a "eating right while on travel" article where he recommends string cheese. I've been meaning to pick some up ever since.

When I snack, at my desk or at home, I usually eat either veggies + hummus, cottage cheese + fruit, or pecans/almonds and some protein (hard boiled egg, yogurt, cottage cheese, some chicken breast, whatever).

Wow, great stuff guys, thanks! Yeah I brought some string cheese to work today and some chicken. I'm happy how easy it is to lose weight if you stick to the plan. It just falls off!

My local grocer suggested prok rinds are no carb, but I'm not sure I want to make a habit of eating those. Plus they are salty as hell.

Ah, string cheese! Another favorite I forgot about. Good call!

Back