Losing interest in current UFC, after 12 years following MMA

Kaiserjuan

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Is it just me, or is the UFC not super exciting at the moment? I'm talking about the last 3 or 4 months.
Also, I cannot see anything super exciting happening in the near future. It's kinda lacking big stars and big names, it has somehow become kinda dull.

It's fully possible the problem is me though.

I think a lot of it is also losing interest overtime. I noticed that after doing something for 10 years your mind isnt willing to accept or make adjustments in the way you do things as easy. It's most likely the reason why most MMA fighters decline after 10 years.

Last edited:
Jiri Glover fight was amazing, last fight night had some crazy fights on the prelims. I'm still in as much as I have been over the last 15 years or so.

There is a lot to like, but I will concede UFC is currently lacking any huge stars that bring that big fight energy.

Go watch Genaro Valdez' last two fights.

Thank me later.

There is a big lack of stars, I feel there are many reasons, there are lots of reasons.. 1 reason I want to point at is back in the day there was not many events, for instance we would get a UFC PPV every 2 months, and no fight nights or anything else.. so everyone came off as a star, even the prelim fighters you knew who they all were and you knew everything about them, because there were long gaps between events so it gave time to pump up the show and get excited and build it all... but now there are sooooooooooo many events and they all just blend into each other, so no one really comes off as a star anymore.

I know I am a old fogey so perhaps I'm losing my memory, but I have a hard time remembering stuff these days in UFC, there are just so many events and nothing sticks out, they all blend into one another, and its straight on to the next one and I forget most of whats just happened.

I'm a bit the same. Hard to say what the main factors are exactly. Just to brainstorm a few reasons off the top of my head:

- More fights end in decisions than back in the day. A lot of fighters fight to win by decision, and that is an acceptable practice in modern UFC.
- Refs are stopping fights earlier for a variety of reasons, so you don't see guys get actually KO'd as often.
- Wrestlefucking seems more common than it used to be.
- As someone else wrote on this site I read a few days ago, MMA has become a martial art in its own sense, so there is less of a 'battle of the styles' aspect to MMA than there used to be (like Boxing vs Tae Kwon Do, or Muay Thai vs BJJ or etc).
- Perhaps the monopoly of the UFC is wearing a bit thin, but by the same token, I can't really get into other orgs than the UFC, whereas I was a die hard Pride fan back in the day (and K1).

Just a few thoughts on the topic. I agree that there are occasional amazing fights like Jiri vs Glover the other weekend, but they seem fewer and far between.

The London card with Paddy was f*cking amazing. The event from last weekend had a record-breaking (or close) amount of finishes, and the Jiri/Glover card was also really good. But yes, I would like to see more fights with the kind of hype we had like Brock, prima Silva, Rousey, and Conor.

It's now a sport, instead of the dirty little secret it once was. Maybe that has something to do with it. Or maybe it is the lack of stars.

I am invested in just about every single UFC fight. On the next card, Brian Kelleher and Mario Bautista are fighting in the second fight of the night. If that was happening in some non-televised promotion, I'd be waiting to read the play by play.

The main event is a measuring stick. Two guys with weird names who have never even been co-main are now in the main event fighting for 5 rounds. But, for anyone who knows them, this is one of the best non-title 5-round fights possible.

My advice to renkindle that flame: start gambling heavily.

The product has changed. Not saying this is better or worse but we as fans of the old product need to adjust or give up on the sport.

The sport used to be about the big fights on the next ppv. Big stars on each event. Anticipation. Fighters fought 3 times a year as an average. You knew all the fighters in the ppv. Now, look at the last 2 events. One was a ppv and the other a fight night and they had the same amount of good fighters.

We have decent events each weekend instead of one big one once a month. Fighters fight once a year. 600 fighters in the roster instead of 60 like 15 years ago, 100 fighters get cut/signed each year. New faces on every event. You can't get excited about an specific event when you are used to watching good events each weekend.

It's a different product that what it used to be. For some it's better, for others it's worse.

The product has changed. Not saying this is better or worse but we as fans of the old product need to adjust or give up on the sport.

The sport used to be about the big fights on the next ppv. Big stars on each event. Anticipation. Fighters fought 3 times a year as an average. You knew all the fighters in the ppv. Now, look at the last 2 events. One was a ppv and the other a fight night and they had the same amount of good fighters.

We have decent events each weekend instead of one big one once a month. Fighters fight once a year. 600 fighters in the roster instead of 60 like 15 years ago, 100 fighters get cut/signed each year. New faces on every event. You can't get excited about an specific event when you are used to watching good events each weekend.

It's a different product that what it used to be. For some it's better, for others it's worse.

It's been like that for a long time now though. They had a big rush in 2014 where they signed around 220 fighters to keep up with TV deals and the roster has been big ever since.

Back