Losing a match

bjjfighter91

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Well yesterday i got my ass kicked in wrestling. Im a first year wrestler and a freshman in highschool and 103 pound weight division. So yeah i lost like in less than a minute in the first round in front of all these people that i wanted to show that i was good such as both my gym teacher which one was the other teams head coach. But i failed and i feel like shit. My record right now is 3-3 some people say thats good for first time wrestler but for me it doesnt matter because i still lost. So how do you overcome some of the most embarrassing loses in front of your mentors and friends?

bjjfighter91 said:
Well yesterday i got my ass kicked in wrestling. Im a first year wrestler and a freshman in highschool and 103 pound weight division. So yeah i lost like in less than a minute in the first round in front of all these people that i wanted to show that i was good such as both my gym teacher which one was the other teams head coach. But i failed and i feel like shit. My record right now is 3-3 some people say thats good for first time wrestler but for me it doesnt matter because i still lost. So how do you overcome some of the most embarrassing loses in front of your mentors and friends?
post about it on the interweb...jk just use it as motivation to work harder this week in practice

Make sure you learn from it and to ease your mind, do as the great fighters do - over time work to rematch those who've beaten you. This is tough in High School but over time if you stay with the sport it gets to be a small small world where rematching those that have bested you isn't impossible. The main thing is just to learn from what you did wrong and work to improve what got you pinned.

turn everything into a learning..that way you don't fail. Success is the worst teacher in the world!!

damn i'm good.

Use the anger you're feeling as fuel to train harder. Since this is your first year, you probably have a lot of wholes in your game still. Just go back and work on the areas you were beaten in. Drill it so many times that next time, there is no way that dude can beat you in that position or with the move he used. Losing sucks, no doubt, but every one that has wrestled has lost at one point, even the greats.

You are young and have a ton more matches to still wrestle. Tape all of your matches and study them, find the weakness in your game and try to clean them up in practice.

dude i had a similar thing happen to me this week i had my second wrestling tourny and i lost one match, if you have it on tap use it and watch it and keep that as motivation. i ve been so pissed that i lost it keeps you hungry. use it in your training.

hmmmm don't feel to bad bout losing it will happen from time to time. First if you have access to a camcorder or maybe your coach does tape your matches. You probably have a flaw in your game plan, this way you could see yourself wrestling and pickup any mistakes your doing. Second you have to spend a lot more time on the mat if you want to become better plain and simple. You think any champ wrestler sits and hopes to win, no he is constantly drilling his technique, sparring, working out, constantly tryin to improve. My last piece of advice is i hope your tryin to win for yourself and not tryin to win just to showboat. Hopefully you take in some of this advice, train hard and train smart.

Back