Economy Loophole in CARES Act allows tax break (on average) of 1.7 million to 43,000 Americans millionaires

skysolo

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
They can't afford bread. Let's sell them some cake.
-Jimmy Dore quoting someone else

The loophole was included as a provision in the sweeping $2.2tn Coronavirus Aid, Relief and Economic Security (CARES) Act, according to a report published by the Joint Commission on Taxation. Democrats who ordered the report have since accused Republicans of having “wrongly seized on this health emergency to reward ultrarich beneficiaries, likely including the Trump family”, and called for the tax break to be immediately repealed.

The Joint Commission on Taxation said that a staggering “82 per cent of the benefits of the policy go to about 43,000 taxpayers who earn more than $1m annually”. Those 43,000 taxpayers eligible for the loophole would receive an average windfall of nearly $1.7m — a figure confirmed by the commission’s calculations and first reported by Forbes.

Meanwhile, some of those wealthy Americans earning more than $1m annually may receive far greater than $1.7 million, as the provision can be retroactively placed “so losses in 2018 and 2019 can be ‘carried back’ against the past five years”, according to the policy.

EVkSU4eWsAA3r3w

For educational purposes:

It's like George Carlin peered into the future.

Yeah but Hillary lost, so..........

???

Profit

<GinJuice>

In before "So letting hard working people keep more of the money they earn is corruption now??"

In before "So letting hard working people keep more of the money they earn is corruption now??"
Not to us.

We are all 6'5 athletic, self-made millionaires who have bjj black belts.

Weird how we never see these loopholes appear for your average Joe.

Is there a link to the text in the bill? What exactly is the loophole? I don't remember there being a tax breaks at all. But I see Grassley is out front defending this, so I will assume it probably was some actual corrupt shit.

Last edited:
This is all trump fault for writing it

This is all trump fault for writing it
He signed it into law. You're responsible for what you sign, you know you're not supposed to sign anything without reading it first so yes this is Trump's fault.

Also the fault of all of Congress that voted for it, i think that lone Kentucky Congressman was the only one that didnt vote for it.
Is there a link to the text in the bill? What exactly is the loophole? I don't remember there being a tax breaks at all. But I see Grassley is out front defending this, so I will assume it probably was some actual corrupt shit.
The provision, inserted into the legislation by Senate Republicans, temporarily suspends a limitation on how much owners of businesses formed as “pass-through” entities can deduct against their nonbusiness income, such as capital gains, to reduce their tax liability.

The analysis included the impact of another tax change in the coronavirus relief legislation that allows firms to write off 100 percent rather than 80 percent of their losses, reversing another change in the 2017 tax law.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2020/04/14/coronavirus-law-congress-tax-change/

That's close enough....with that said, rich taxpayers spending less in taxes isn't causing poor or middle class taxpayers to spend more in taxes. This whole "costing taxpayers" is bullshit, when it costs someone something that means they would have had to expend more. This isn't the case, what this means is that the government is the one that is suffering a loss of funds, not other taxpayers as these people are implying.

He signed it into law. You're responsible for what you sign, you know you're not supposed to sign anything without reading it first so yes this is Trump's fault.

Also the fault of all of Congress that voted for it, i think that lone Kentucky Congressman was the only one that didnt vote for it.

That's close enough....with that said, rich taxpayers spending less in taxes isn't causing poor or middle class taxpayers to spend more in taxes. This whole "costing taxpayers" is bullshit, when it costs someone something that means they would have had to expend more. This isn't the case, what this means is that the government is the one that is suffering a loss of funds, not other taxpayers as these people are implying.

Yeah, I agree that it doesn't "cost taxpayers" anything. But still, the GOP shouldn't have shoehorned that into this bill. I see them defending by saying the wording in the 2017 tax bill was intentional, and this was just correct that and was overdue...but that should have been its own bill obviously. They clearly used the rushed stimulus package as a vehicle to sneak something through, and deserve to be called out on it.

I'm pretty sure you are joking but in case you aren't. Trump didn't write any part of CARES Act.

Pretty confident he is mocking people blaming Trump for the bipartisan bill. Which was delayed for some reason, too.

It's apparently far worst even they thought and are rushing to approve a second stimulus check though the Senate said they possibly will fight it. President Trump and Congress support it but are seeking more money for Hospitals.

Breaking News: Struggling Americans unhappy the rich class earn more. Story at 5.

Back