looking to work on my takedown game

wenispinkle

Skankin' It Easy...
@Green
Reaction score
hey guys

ive been training mostly bjj for awhile now, to the point where i feel pretty confident on the ground. my only reservation is GETTING there.

so what kind of grappling would you guys recommend for the takedown game, short of freestyle/folkstyle wrestling? i know alot of guys here do judo...hows that going for you guys? im also thinking greco-roman, as what little that i know of it is really cool and i like it alot...

any input is appreciated

well honestly if its an mma fight id prefer to know judo/grecko roman better. lately in mma ive seen guys eat knees shooting in. non mma reg wrestling would be fine. get comfortable with one of them. any one of them will work fine. try to get the basics down of all though then the one that feels most natural is probably the one you should focus on

yeah thats why greco appeals to me so much, because clinching in mma is so common, so it would be awesome to have so many takedown opportunities right off the clinch. the same for judo.

thanks for the input, any more is welcome

uhhh shooting in for takedowns is still very useful ... did you see minowa take down baroni at will during their last match? or shit, what about matt hughes, he still shoots in and takes people down basically at will. frank trigg? gsp? tons of guys still shoot ... just gotta be fast and accurate, like any other technique.

greco is limited because you aren't allowed to use the legs at all. Freestyle has all the same techniques as greco, with more tools and options.

Try a wrestling gym and a judo place, see which one fits into your style more, I myself like judo better, but try them both. they each have great tools to offer you

Judo, Sambo, Wrestling, whichever is cheaper and more convenient in your area. Sometimes a wrestling place for "grownups" is tough, if not impossible, to find. Judo's pretty tough to beat pound for pound.

wenispinkle said:
so what kind of grappling would you guys recommend for the takedown game, short of freestyle/folkstyle wrestling? i know alot of guys here do judo...hows that going for you guys? im also thinking greco-roman, as what little that i know of it is really cool and i like it alot...
all of it. some people you cant shoot on so you need to know throws. some people you cant throw and need to shoot on. the more you know and the better you do it, the better your standup will be. also, in leanring all this, you'll build your td defense a ton.

a lot of this will and wont work for mma/subs though, but dont take that as a reason to not learn something.

The thing about jiu-jitsu is that whether you're whether on your back or on top, you should be "neutrally comfortable." It sounds like you are more comfortable on "top" rather than playing guard. I personally have placed an emphasis on both rather than committing equal time towards becoming a Judo balck belt (i.e., takedowns). My emphasis is being comfortable in a well rounded sense; hence, jiu-jitsu (i.e., top or bottom position). An awesome takedown game is simply a bonus, per se. I guess it depends on how much time you have to train and how you choose to apply it.

I like Judo. It's already very BJJ-ish, so its easy to adapt the Judo game in with BJJ.

Killa_Cs said:
well honestly if its an mma fight id prefer to know judo/grecko roman better. lately in mma ive seen guys eat knees shooting in. non mma reg wrestling would be fine. get comfortable with one of them. any one of them will work fine. try to get the basics down of all though then the one that feels most natural is probably the one you should focus on
the shot is all about the setup ... people generally eat knees when they keep repeating the shot over and over offcourse the opponent will figure out their timing and eventually catch them that doesn't mean its not effective you just gotta know when to do it

alexgncw said:
the shot is all about the setup ... people generally eat knees when they keep repeating the shot over and over offcourse the opponent will figure out their timing and eventually catch them that doesn't mean its not effective you just gotta know when to do it
ya i know that but it still creates a fear of eating the knee

judo i think is the best way to go especially if you are training with the gi

greco-roman and folk would probably be the best bet for no gi

Killa_Cs said:

Those people take the knees to the face because they don't know how to set up the shot.

RickoOodles said:
Those people take the knees to the face because they don't know how to set up the shot.
have you tried setting up a shot in mma? it's 10x different than a shot in hs wrestling.

sure, a lot of people screw it up, but it's not as easy to pull off anymore.

yeah I'm a wrestler before BJJ and its easy to be caught in guillotines because everyone looks for the easy win, I'm looking to train some Judo and find a good Greco Roman camp soon. Wrestling is great for coniditioning and really good for takedowns (don't get me wrong), but I'd much rather get a takedown without the risk of being choked.

Fight_Song said:
have you tried setting up a shot in mma? it's 10x different than a shot in hs wrestling.

sure, a lot of people screw it up, but it's not as easy to pull off anymore.

If you watched the latest UFN on SpikeTv, Koscheck didn't set up the last shot (last offensive move on his part) he took, in turn his opponent anticipated it and got in a good knee. To make a shot effective you either have to set them up with hands, or in MMA, get a good jab/straight combination then shoot in. It doesn't work to be shooting straight off unless your opponent not well versed in sprawling/timing.

Back