Looking for suggestions for a 308 Carbine.

GearSolidMetal

Plutonium Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, wanted to say thank you for the feedback from the 'Help me trick out a Ruger PR' and it convinced me that a M1A was the better weapon for me.

While I'm 100% satisfied with my purchase, I realise that what you guys diagnosed from my description of what I was looking for was a 'one size fits all' gun, one firearm to do everything. Well, I realise that was not the way to go.

So, I currently have the M1a for long range (300-500+ meters), a Glock34 for short range (under 50 feet), and now I'm open to suggestions for medium range (50 feet to 300 yards)

I prefer it to be a 308, but able to use cheaper rounds, so if I do run out of the preferred 168gr rounds for my M1a I'll still have back up rounds to use for it, although the ballistics would be off with the optics. But I could still have the option to remove the optics and use iron sights with the cheaper ammo on the M1a.

The shorter the barrel, the better, as long as it needs to be to be reliably accurate to 300 meters.

I'm leaning toward the M1a Socom 16 CQB, since I could use the same magazines as the M1a, and it's just as reliable. But as my last thread proved, I'm open toward changing my mind.

AA9611_1200x306.png

But, I'm also considering an AR15/10 platform because it's so familiar to me.

What would you guys suggest? And all suggestions will be thoroughly researched and appreciated.

Last edited:
I don't care for mossberg rifles but sportsman guide has a pretty good deal on one of their offerings. It looks like a ruger precision rifle but I don't recall the name and only woke up to take a dump. Just put mossberg in their search bar, it's the first thing that pops up.

Personally I'd go with AR15/10 platform. I like how if it's mil spec all of the parts are interchangeable.

You'll probably want the M1A Socom. You just missed a good deal from PSA with free shipping on one. $1350. Maybe it will come back in stock?

1_1_10.jpeg

High quality AR10's are expensive. I personally haven't seen the cheaper ones be extremely reliable, my dpms .308 likes the bolt to be really wet. It functions great as long as the bolt is wet. The extractor also broke and I replaced it with a higher quality parts and it's been good.

There is the SCAR 17 which is great but also very expensive.

Desert Tech MDR is something to look into imo. It isn't out yet but will be soon. Supposed to be around $2200 for 308.

Desert-Tech-MDR-FDE-Rifle.jpg

2E5CCB09D347D8316B0E8841F37E240E1A1D34C2.jpg

26 inches overall. Just over 7 lbs.

You can also buy a 5.56 conversion kit for roughly $700 and swap calibers quickly.

SOCOM or Scout is a decent choice. Just stay away from the version with the huge quad rail, thing is heavy as shit. Look into aftermarket stocks for it too.

For a carbine though, an AR10 is a very good choice as well. More options to customize it to you, easier mounting of optics and stocks/grips.

What are you looking at budget wise, and what stock did you put on your M1A?

I don't care for mossberg rifles but sportsman guide has a pretty good deal on one of their offerings. It looks like a ruger precision rifle but I don't recall the name and only woke up to take a dump. Just put mossberg in their search bar, it's the first thing that pops up.

Thanks. I checked it out, but I'm looking for a semi-auto for under 300 yards, and that's a bolt for well over that distance.

SOCOM or Scout is a decent choice. Just stay away from the version with the huge quad rail, thing is heavy as shit. Look into aftermarket stocks for it too.
Yep, weight is a huge priority. My M1a is pretty damn heavy and I haven't added anything to it yet.
For a carbine though, an AR10 is a very good choice as well. More options to customize it to you, easier mounting of optics and stocks/grips.
And, easier to switch out magazines.

What are you looking at budget wise, and what stock did you put on your M1A?

Not looking beyond the price of a Socom CQB, which is around $1600 on gunbroker.

Picked up the precision series. I'm 100% satisfied with it.

spr_1.jpg

My suggestions is still an AR-10. The more modern ones have gotten reliable and you can get precision matched billet receivers from companies like Rainier and MEGA.

And while the MDR is cool I personally am unwilling to drop $2k on a fucking bullpup. Granted, this could be hypocritical considering I spent $1000 on a Para 14.45 1911 and $1100 on a Weatherby with Leupold...

You'll have to ignore the California-friendly "fin-grip", but take a look at the PTR-91 SC. No issues hitting steel at the ranges you intended with relatively cheaper Perfecta 147gr stuff from Wally World.

DgBfVKF.jpg

You'll have to ignore the California-friendly "fin-grip", but take a look at the PTR-91 SC. No issues hitting steel at the ranges you intended with relatively cheaper Perfecta 147gr stuff from Wally World.

DgBfVKF.jpg
Not sure if it's limited to the Century Arms .308s that came out a couple years ago but I cannot shoot those G3/FAL knockoffs. For me to get a proper cheekweld the butt stock is a good 2-3 inches off my shoulder while if I get a good rest for the buttstock my nose is in line with the rear sight "post" thing. I cannot shoot them but I am 6'4" so that could be part of it.

My suggestions is still an AR-10. The more modern ones have gotten reliable and you can get precision matched billet receivers from companies like Rainier and MEGA.

And while the MDR is cool I personally am unwilling to drop $2k on a fucking bullpup. Granted, this could be hypocritical considering I spent $1000 on a Para 14.45 1911 and $1100 on a Weatherby with Leupold...

Any carbine models recommended?

Upper lower combo - $450+
Rainier Match Barrel - $315
Gas block and tube - $40+ depending on what you want (adjustability or whatever)
Muzzle device - $20-150+
Handguard - $175+
BCG - $200+
Charging handle - $40+
UPK - $20ish
LPK - $85ish
Buffer kit - $60-80+
Stock $40+
Different grip - $?
High quality trigger - $?
BUIS - $?
Optics - $?

There are probably cheap lower/upper options I'm not aware of. I'm sure psa probably has inexpensive ones.

Last edited:
Upper lower combo - $450+
Rainier Match Barrel - $315
Gas block and tube - $40+ depending on what you want (adjustability or whatever)
Muzzle device - $20-150+
Handguard - $175+
BCG - $200+
Charging handle - $40+
UPK - $20ish
LPK - $85ish
Buffer kit - $60-80+
Stock $40+
Different grip - $?
High quality trigger - $?
BUIS - $?
Optics - $?

There are probably cheap lower/upper options I'm not aware of. I'm sure psa probably has inexpensive ones.

I've never built a AR from the ground up. Probably prefer to stay away from it, for now, but I could imagine building AR15s in the future and selling them to gain confidence I could do the same for an AR10.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I've never built a AR from the ground up. Probably prefer to stay away from it, for now, but I could imagine building AR15s in the future and selling them to gain confidence I could do the same for an AR10.

Thanks for the suggestion.

If doing a custom AR 308 interested you...

If you bought all the parts for the lower receiver you wanted from rainier arms you can add "lower assembly" to the cart and they will put together your lower for $25 fee.

https://www.rainierarms.com/assembly-lower

They offer upper assembly as well.

Not necessarily carbines and these guys are kinda dumb too but a direct comparison of two .308 Semi Auto rifles:

Back