Looking for Shin Guards

mycompy386*

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a pair of shin guards. These are my first pair so I don't know what to look for in a pair. Since these are my first pair my main motive for buying a certain pair will be price. So sherdog could you guys help me?

Do you plan to just use them for kickboxing/mt? Or are they going to be for grappling as well? For grappling go with the combat sports grappling shin guards. If it is just for standing then go with Fairtex pro style.

was lookin at buyin a pair of twins last week but they were backorderd so i hit up a lcoal shop and got me a pair of Windy Pro style Guards and i luv em. I tried on all kinds of shin pads, and for MT or kickboxing i would recommend sumthing with a traditional closure in the back..Windy/ Fairtex/ Twins etc... theres a couple of other brands but it depends on preffrence i guess...and for grapp. i would think those Neoprene backed ones are awesome tried thhem on and they didnt move at all very snug and feel good lol like a wetsuit, but i train MT and i opted for the tradional windy. ill post up pics and a review tommorow.:icon_chee

I've been wearing KO Fightgear's shin guards for a while...that's with basically 3-5 days a week of Muay Thai training and they're holding up beyond well.

That said, I've recently purchased a pair of these Revgear shin pads b/c I realized that I was oftentimes unintentionally hurting my training partners by kicking too hard for 2 reasons 1) lack of sensitivity b/c the KOFG's are SUPER tough/durable and 2) the fact that they're just really tough/durable so not only was I hitting hard b/c I couldn't tell, but the actual material is rather hard:

http://www.fighterwarehouse.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1432

I'd wanted to purchase these Synpowers from Holland b/c my MT instructor thinks pretty highly of them...and a couple guys from the gym have them and they seem to hold up pretty damn well, while staying very light and offering enough protection AND sensitivity...unfortunately, they're like 50 Euro...and with the American dollar as it is, it's to my disadvantage to purchase from overseas...
http://synpower.nl/images/Produkten/catalogus/synpower-p6.jpg

So I went with the Revgears...they're literally the only product I can find in America that is similar to the Synpowers, but they're also like $60 without shipping...so in the end they're like $70...but fortunately, I found them for $40 with free shipping from Fighterwarehouse.com; which I find to be reasonable...

Thanks guys. I am planning to use these for only stand-up and no grappling. What would be the difference between some of these shin guards and the $30 Everest ones at ,say, Sport Chalet?

We have a 20% off, 48 hour sale running right now (coupon code at top of website) so it might be a good time to take a look at our shin guard section :)

How do the standard shin guards differ from the grappling shin guards?

How do the standard shin guards differ from the grappling shin guards?

"Grappling" style generally means a bit sleeker padding and more secure velcro system to keep it in place better...generally neoprene is the material used as the backing as opposed to elastic or leather bands...

I have a pair of Windy's and love them very much.

"Grappling" style generally means a bit sleeker padding and more secure velcro system to keep it in place better...generally neoprene is the material used as the backing as opposed to elastic or leather bands...

So I'm planning on using them only for stand-up, would it matter if I got grappling guards or should I avoid those since I don't really need that?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back