Looking for pro level grapplers

ISWA2006

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The ISWA is looking for pro level grapplers for tournament showcase matches. We will be having tournaments on both coasts. First tournament is in Las Vegas on Apr 15 with more being set up as we speak. Check out our website at ISWA.
logo.jpg

I train up at Dan Severn's school in Coldwater, and was considering pitching Combat Wrestling to him as something to promote and push...

2 questions for you; would ISWA provide opportunities for unproven guys like myself--a bit of self-interest--and secondly, combat-wrestling is interesting because it is catch-wrestling and wrestler friendly in a way many other tournaments aren't, with no ban on slams, slam escapes, neck-cranks, leg-locks, etc. and back-points as well as more exciting due to its ban on stalling.

In what ways is ISWA different from the current BJJ-centric submission grappling standard? If you can tell me why I should pitch it to Severn instead of Combat Wrestling--and you convince me--I'll do so. Severn IS gonna have a grappling competition coming up soon.

Kforcer said:
I train up at Dan Severn's school in Coldwater, and was considering pitching Combat Wrestling to him as something to promote and push...

2 questions for you; would ISWA provide opportunities for unproven guys like myself--a bit of self-interest--and secondly, combat-wrestling is interesting because it is catch-wrestling and wrestler friendly in a way many other tournaments aren't, with no ban on slams, slam escapes, neck-cranks, leg-locks, etc. and back-points as well as more exciting due to its ban on stalling.

In what ways is ISWA different from the current BJJ-centric submission grappling standard? If you can tell me why I should pitch it to Severn instead of Combat Wrestling--and you convince me--I'll do so. Severn IS gonna have a grappling competition coming up soon.

Answered in the rule book on the website.

No Slams is pretty much it.

Looks like neck cranks and leg locks are perfectly legal.

b0b said:
Answered in the rule book on the website.

No Slams is pretty much it.

Looks like neck cranks and leg locks are perfectly legal.

Man....no slams....I have to say, I hate that.

we have tried to change some of the rules that the current no gi tourneys are using to get more action and incorporate other styles other than just bjj without a gi. you will see pts for takedowns, throws, stalling calls, etc. feel free to email us and we could talk more about our goals and vision. would love to have severn back this, i am sure with his wrestling background he will see some of the changes we have made and recognize how it will increase action.
Kforcer said:

ISWA2006 said:
we have tried to change some of the rules that the current no gi tourneys are using to get more action and incorporate other styles other than just bjj without a gi. you will see pts for takedowns, throws, stalling calls, etc. feel free to email us and we could talk more about our goals and vision. would love to have severn back this, i am sure with his wrestling background he will see some of the changes we have made and recognize how it will increase action.

Cool, will do. Like I said, he's gonna have a grappling tournament this year, and the format is currently undecided. I'll print out the rules when I get the chance.

I do think strongly that slams should be in place. They represent a very exciting part of grappling, that allows for athleticism and will to have their play, and they also have a long history both in pre-Olympic judo and catch as submission defenses. Perhaps you could differentiate between slams and spikes...? Or possibly outlaw slamming out of bounds, slamming as a sole means of offense, etc.?

I'll shoot you guys an e-mail.

A "slam" would be considered a throw. It only becomes a slam is you are using it to escape from a submission. See Arona/Rampage or Sylvia/Ricco. It is only a spike if you are driving their spine in the mat.

b0b said:
A "slam" would be considered a throw. It only becomes a slam is you are using it to escape from a submission. See Arona/Rampage or Sylvia/Ricco. It is only a spike if you are driving their spine in the mat.

As far as slams in judo, I was referring to the pre-Olympic tradition of slamming out of triangles for an instant ippon, if you were able to slam the person onto their shoulders.

Good point about standing slams being considered throws.

a slam is using excessive force with the intent of injuring your opponet. the key word is excessive, usually if you hit the mat first then its legal.

I've amped dudes hard in NAGA man without getting called.

I'd like to do one of your tourneys man. Email me?

Back