Looking for advice regarding making weightclass (stuck in between).

purpleheart

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Dear fellow sherdoggers,

I'd like to ask for your help regarding my goal to fight (amateur boxing) at light heavyweight.

A little about myself; i'm 6 ft 2 and before a long period of powerlifting/olympic weightlifting i picked up boxing years ago as my new passion. My current weight is 191lbs.

Regarding training everything seems about right to make my first fight. I'm getting 3-4 times box training in per week with an additional 3-4 weights/roadwork sessions.

I have the lenght and reach to compete at cruiserweight. However i carry way to little muscle mass in order to hang in there with the giants at cruiser. At light heavy ill max out the class in height/mass at the lowest bf possible.

I estimate my bodyfat currently at 10%. I have very little fat left to lose and it's going way to slow.

There however are a couple of aces left up my sleeve which are creatine and leg mass. First of all i've been taking creatine on and of for years with the difference being significant strenght increase alongside a lot of weight (6.5lbs or so). My leg's however are still to big from all the squating i kept in the weight regimen (ive quit that for a few weeks now and expect a lot of atrophy.

It's however all going way to slow for me. Should i dump the creatine and give up strength to sacrifice weight?

Will the difference from big quads to twigs make enough weight so i can keep the creatine fluid?

Or should i just do both to get there ASAP and rebuild if necessary. I think im ready and would just like to get in there. Maybe should even consider fighting at cruiser and drop later.

Appreciate your imput!

So the weight class you're aiming for is 178lbs?
To be fair, you could make that weight purely with water manipulation (sauna/epsom salt). You'd need 6h to re-hydrate (average person absorbs 1L/hr), if thats not enough time, take whatever time you feel you will have, and multiply it by 2.2, and the number you get will be how much you can cut with water alone. eg. 3h, so 6.6lbs

But if you're set on actual fat loss, then you'd need to eat a caloric deficit. If you're not losing weight and your numbers are right, that means there's been a change in activity level, and your current maintenance isn't what you thought it was, and you'd have to drop the calories more to adjust.

I doubt leg mass will be the factor for making weight. 191 at 6'2 isn't huge, so I'm not seeing how having huge quads can stem from that weight. Creatine yes, cycling off it you'd prob drop a good amount of weight. I'm 5'9 at 178, I took it when I was 155 and I bloated up 8lbs, so at your size you'd prob lose up to 10 or 12lbs from it alone.

Overall, I think you should keep what muscle mass you have, and make weight via water manipulation, its how fighters get a size advantage.

Last edited:
So the weight class you're aiming for is 178lbs?
To be fair, you could make that weight purely with water manipulation (sauna/epsom salt). You'd need 6h to re-hydrate (average person absorbs 1L/hr), if thats not enough time take whatever time you feel you will have and multiply it by 2.2, and the number you get will be how much you can cut with water alone. eg. 3h, so 6.6lbs

But if you're set on actual fat loss, then you'd need to eat a caloric deficit. If you're not losing weight and your numbers are right, that means there's been a change in activity level, and your current matiaince isn't what you thought it was, and you'd have to drop the calories more to adjust.

I doubt leg mass will be the factor for making weight. 191 at 6'2 isn't huge, so I'm not seeing how having huge quads can stem from that weight. Creatine yes, cycling off it you'd prob drop a good amount of weight. I'm 5'9 at 178, I took it when I was 155 and I bloated up 8lbs, so at your size you'd prob lose up to 10 or 12lbs from it alone.

Overall, I think you should keep what muscle mass you have, and make weight via water manipulation, its how fighters get a size advantage.

Thanks for your in depth advice man! Im indeed cutting to 178lbs. Water cutting would be ideal but in amateur boxing weigh in's are at the same day. Usually 2hours before the event starts. Ad in an hour for junior and lighter fights so ill be having 3 hours to rehydrate.

The creatine drop would probably be sufficient for making weight but will have me flatten out like a pancake with less explosiveness.

Regarding my food intake its allready very minimal; some dry tuna here and there and a decent big meal at night. Thats it. I am slow and steady losing lbs on this per week so i can keep going.

Ive take in your tips and the best idea seems to be lose another 5.5lbs in fat and cut the rest in water. 6.6lbs i should be able to replenish in 3 hours.

Thanks to you my plan seems formed.

jeesus you are a twig man.

Usually start camp around 210-220 and cut down to 190.

Being your first fight and all, 178 is low enough where you can get a handle on the whole process. You have a 1lb allowance so its really only a 11lb cut for you.

Can easily drop 5lbs the day of with an epsolm salt bath.

Aim for 185 a week from the fight and slowly lower calorie intake

jeesus you are a twig man.

Usually start camp around 210-220 and cut down to 190.

Being your first fight and all, 178 is low enough where you can get a handle on the whole process. You have a 1lb allowance so its really only a 11lb cut for you.

Can easily drop 5lbs the day of with an epsolm salt bath.

Aim for 185 a week from the fight and slowly lower calorie intake

I'm certainly no tank. Wide framed and tall though. But way too scrawny to compete at cruiser. Ill get murdered there.

I figured 185lbs a week from fight week should be good. Have to give the sauna or salt bath a try to know how much ill shed of. gonna try it this week to see how much fat i still need to lose.

Im currently veiny as hell. Just some lowerback/oblique fat left.

Thanks for your input!

So i did a epsom salt tryout which was quite the experience; in the beginning it hurt like hell and i could only do 15 -10 and 10minutes. Results werent amazing but not bad either; took off 4.4lbs.

Im going to try it next week with more time in and perhaps more alcohol (only used two tiny bottles of alc70%).

Crazy how gassed you feel when you're done. Out of breath while talking.

If anyone has tips regarding the bath let me know.

So i did a epsom salt tryout which was quite the experience; in the beginning it hurt like hell and i could only do 15 -10 and 10minutes. Results werent amazing but not bad either; took off 4.4lbs.

Im going to try it next week with more time in and perhaps more alcohol (only used two tiny bottles of alc70%).

Did you do the bath alone? Normally right after the bath, you put on your sauna suit, lie in bed with blankets on for the same duration as the bath. Lave a large towel over your sheets tohugh, you don't want your bed to be soaked.

If you did this all already, ignore the above.

I remember my first time doing the bath. It didn't feel so bad, I was just bored. Time goes by a hell of alot slower. Anyways, after I had enough (20min), I stood up immediately, then felt like I was getting KOed, while taking down 24oz of Vodka (very dis-coordinated). It took me about a min (60sec) to recover, dry up, put on the suit, and carry on.

...Then I had to do it again to some more lbs off.

Did you do the bath alone? Normally right after the bath, you put on your sauna suit, lie in bed with blankets on for the same duration as the bath. Lave a large towel over your sheets tohugh, you don't want your bed to be soaked.

If you did this all already, ignore the above.

I remember my first time doing the bath. It didn't feel so bad, I was just bored. Time goes by a hell of alot slower. Anyways, after I had enough (20min), I stood up immediately, then felt like I was getting KOed, while taking down 24oz of Vodka (very dis-coordinated). It took me about a min (60sec) to recover, dry up, put on the suit, and carry on.

...Then I had to do it again to some more lbs off.
thanks for the input

I had a friend check up on me regular times. I just rested in between with a towel on my head. Dont have a sauna suit. Maybe i should get one.

Hahah your description is awesome. I crawled out slowly each time. Would have had the same KO as you did if went quicker.

Cant really find a concensus on how much alcohol is necassary in the baht. How much do you put in>?

thanks for the input

I had a friend check up on me regular times. I just rested in between with a towel on my head. Dont have a sauna suit. Maybe i should get one.

Hahah your description is awesome. I crawled out slowly each time. Would have had the same KO as you did if went quicker.

Cant really find a concensus on how much alcohol is necassary in the baht. How much do you put in>?
The idea with the suit is to keep your increased body temp (from the bath) so you can continue sweating out more while in bed. If you don't have it then you can use sweaters, hoodies, etc

I actually haven't used rubbing alcohol at all, I've heard about using Albolene though, I might use it and rubbing alc. next time when I do a bigger cut (16-17lb). Some guys say jsut to cover your body with it, so 2-3 bottles?

You should only be using two scoops max.. Any more and it wont dissolve into the water

Follow the bath up with a HOT shower to max out results.

Why are you using rubbing alcohol?

You should only be using two scoops max.. Any more and it wont dissolve into the water

Follow the bath up with a HOT shower to max out results.

Why are you using rubbing alcohol?

Man i've read so many different things now. Some say you shouldnt even shower just dry yourself of because you could even take water up through the skin. Some use little salt other mountains.

The alcohol is supposed to make it more efficient to suck out the subcutanous water. Cant explain why i just read that many recommend it. Albolene ive read is used a lot too as j123 mentions.

This weekend ill rerun the bath but longer and with more alcohol. If i can take of 6.6lbs instead of 4.4 im a happy camper.

I think i hold a lot of water in general anyways. this morning i weighed before and after a 10k run. 3.5lbs difference too.

Good to ''get to know'' your own body like this. Let's master this.

Man i've read so many different things now. Some say you shouldnt even shower just dry yourself of because you could even take water up through the skin. Some use little salt other mountains.

The alcohol is supposed to make it more efficient to suck out the subcutanous water. Cant explain why i just read that many recommend it. Albolene ive read is used a lot too as j123 mentions.

This weekend ill rerun the bath but longer and with more alcohol. If i can take of 6.6lbs instead of 4.4 im a happy camper.

I think i hold a lot of water in general anyways. this morning i weighed before and after a 10k run. 3.5lbs difference too.

Good to ''get to know'' your own body like this. Let's master this.
Hot shower is fine, I've heard about that theory as well, but I never actually gained anything. I just took it cause I was full of sweat and didn't want to bringing that to bed with me overnight. Besides, I needed to a bath to freshen up anyways.

The most disgusting finishing method I did was the spitting method. You basically suck on sour candy, and spit out the last remaining few grams. Took me 15min to spit out 0.6lbs.

Hot shower is fine, I've heard about that theory as well, but I never actually gained anything. I just took it cause I was full of sweat and didn't want to bringing that to bed with me overnight. Besides, I needed to a bath to freshen up anyways.

The most disgusting finishing method I did was the spitting method. You basically suck on sour candy, and spit out the last remaining few grams. Took me 15min to spit out 0.6lbs.

Ok clear man! Sounds a lot more hygenic anyways instead of going to the weigh ins like salty sardine :D

You spit out 0.6lbs :D Hero!

This weekend ill rerun the bath but longer and with more alcohol. If i can take of 6.6lbs instead of 4.4 im a happy camper..

Becareful, losing another 2.2lbs of water when you are already lightheaded..

I usually tap out at 5lbs.. coming from a dude who has more weight on you and takes HOT baths.

You should get stronger and fight at cruiserweight. Get your walk-around weight up too 200 plus and then cut to 190. You have the heighth to make it easy. If you try and cut to 178 you might look gaunt and lose strength, which opponents will see and gain confidence from. Get bigger and stronger rather than smaller and weaker.

You should get stronger and fight at cruiserweight. Get your walk-around weight up too 200 plus and then cut to 190. You have the heighth to make it easy. If you try and cut to 178 you might look gaunt and lose strength, which opponents will see and gain confidence from. Get bigger and stronger rather than smaller and weaker.
He'd still be cutting the same amount; And building muscle and strength takes time. For him to gain 10lbs properly, and adjust to his new bodyweight, it would take about a year to do so.

Trust me i've walked around 220lbs bloated, the strength isn't that much more. I can still easily deadlift 395lbs. Muscle wise i'm just maxed out naturally from the powerlifting days (and strength is still there).

I just don't want give up a reach advantage or face some 6 ft 5 monsters.

Today after another 10k speed run i was 185lbs. I've even lowered the calories on the advice you guys gave. Getting closer and closer. thanks for motivating !

He'd still be cutting the same amount; And building muscle and strength takes time. For him to gain 10lbs properly, and adjust to his new bodyweight, it would take about a year to do so.

If at all man :D

Yo guys,

Yesterday i did my second epsom salt bath. More salt, more alcohol and 4 sessions instead of 3 this time.

Weighed 186lbs before and 179lbs after which is the limit + allowed over. Painfull and hard again but felt the same few hours later. Thanks to you guys i now know i can make it.
Think i can still lose 2.2lbs of fat comfortable which i will do. (rather have a smaller cut and little more margin in case i wake up bloated on game day). Ill let my coach know im ready to get in (weight wise atleast :D).

Thanks again studs

Back