Looking for a traditional Jiujitsu school in the heart of Miami, FL

LuisHernandez

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Hi - I'm looking for a Jiujitsu school in the heart of the Miami area. I live very close to the Orange Bowl (or at least what used to be the Orange Bowl) I can only spare a 15-minute drive to and from, and I'm interested in a traditional school and I am not interested in participating in cage fighting. I also would like the school to have a very good beginner's program. I tried FFA already but they are more focused in training people for cage fighting.

Please let me know.

Thanks!

brazilian jiu jitsu or ''traditional'' japanese jiu jitsu?

you DO realize that there are plenty of people who practice Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and "sport" submission grappling as just a hobby and a thing for self defense in case they actually need it who have NO interest in "cage fighting" (such as myself) right?

what about the Gracie Academy? is that nearby?

From what I hear, Gracie Miami is as "traditional" as it gets--gi-oriented, self-defense, etc.

brazilian jiu jitsu or ''traditional'' japanese jiu jitsu?

Brazilian Jujitsu, as traditional as possible. I don't really want to train for the cage, i just want to train with regular, normal guys like me. Not tough guys or other dude that have stuff to prove.

Awesome, thanks. I will give those schools a try! :)

Hi - I'm looking for a Jiujitsu school in the heart of the Miami area. I live very close to the Orange Bowl (or at least what used to be the Orange Bowl) I can only spare a 15-minute drive to and from, and I'm interested in a traditional school and I am not interested in participating in cage fighting. I also would like the school to have a very good beginner's program. I tried FFA already but they are more focused in training people for cage fighting.

Please let me know.

Thanks!

1. Gracie Academy Miami (black belts directly under Helio)
2. Rilion Gracie (son of Carlos Gracie Sr.)

I trained at the Rilion Gracie school myself and loved it there. I'm currently not attending cause I had a reoccurring injury and I'm taking some time off. I haven't trained anywhere else but I can tell you about my experiences there:
The classes are a great size.
The people and the training is great
They stress the fundamentals.
If you wanna train nogi, you need at least a blue belt if I recall.

The only thing I didn't like:
There weren't to many people my weight (135-140) last time I went. Avg is I wanna say 155+
At times I was rolling with someone at 190+ (same experience level but the weight diff sucked)

Overall I would highly recommend it. Call and speak to Chris (female) or Marcelo and Im sure they be more than happy to help you out.

Back