• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

LonG Island Boy Looking For Help

JCASHDAKID

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hey what's going on guys. After a 3 year hiatus from wrestling in high school and putting on the poundage:icon_cry2 I've decided I wanted to start training BJJ and hopefully Muay Thai or kick boxing as well. Right now I'm trying to find a gym with decent quality training in hopefully both of those areas. I live in Uniondale but go to school in Queens so I'm willing to train anywhere between those two points. I was thinking of trying out Progressive Martial Arts but I've gotten mixed reviews and search didn't really help. Also how much can I be expecting to pay. I tried out defranco's gym a year or two ago when they should me the prices I went from :icon_chee to :icon_conf . I work barely 20 hours and pay for school stuff and gas so I'm trying to pay hopefully no more like 120 since I don't think I can train more than two-three days a week. Also is it common or uncommon for the gym to have free weights as well because I haven't worked out in so long either. If anyone is willing to help recommend me a place to train get back into and discipline myself I would greatly appreciate it

Okay in Nassau County.. you have Bellmore Kickboxing Academy in Bellmore, Serra's in East Meadow and Huntington, Ray Longo's in Garden City, Combat Judo in Massapequa, Scarola's in New Hyde Park, Militech in New Hyde Park, Soca BJJ in Bellmore, Emerson Souza's in Baldwin, and Budokan Martial Arts in Valley Stream. Those are the one's that came right away in my head but there could be more.

If you want to do bjj AND muay thai, you're gona have a rough time on 120 a month in this area. I train at Budokan Martial Arts in Valley Stream, so naturally that's my suggestion. We have a Renzo Gracie black belt teaching the beginners bjj and a Soca black belt teaching the advanced. There is also a class that mixes boxing, muay thai, and some weapons training. I was in the same situation as you, 3.5 years from wrestling in high school.

Also I can do school around Jamaica queens because i have I go to St.Johns University. I'm going to progressive martial arts on monday for a free session. Anyone know if it's any good or is it like a mcdojo. I think tops I can go is 150 but that's going be a real stretch. Also do alot of those school have night and day classes because I have a pretty weird schedule because i work at a restaurant at night have some classes rea early and some classes at night when I'm not working.

I can tell you that where I train, the weekday classes are all at night (not late night, though). You should check with each school about their schedule, that should be pretty easy to find out.

What I would do is just gather info on all the schools you're considering, then check out the cost and schedules to see if you can actually afford to train there and that it fits your schedule, and then with whoever you have left, decide which is the best quality for what you're looking to train.

they probably all offer a free trial. check them all out and decide whats best for you.

For the money you'll be hard pressed to find a school as good as Scarola's. I think it's $130 with Scarola and Muller (Serra's first 2 black belts) teaching all the BJJ, and I believe Anthony D'Angelo is teachingn the Kickboxing. Another good thing about Muller and Scarola is they tend to intergrate a lot of self-defense and MMA into the BJJ classes even for beginners.

^^^^^^^

that was me... sometimes me and my girl forget to log each other out :icon_neut

To be honest that is a pretty good deal for 130, you get bjj and kickboxing?

To be honest that is a pretty good deal for 130, you get bjj and kickboxing?

I believe it was last I heard, but the school was getting really packed quick, so Trickster would be the one to ask. I haven't been around for a few months. I'm a floridian now.

I went to St John's the last two years. I'd suggest training MT at Sitan Gym in Astoria and doing the Judo club at the school. Sitan is about as good as it gets for stand up, and although the judo club never really had too many experienced guys there, the guy who runs it (Shiina) is a legit 8th dan from Japan.
Untitled Document

I went to St John's the last two years. I'd suggest training MT at Sitan Gym in Astoria and doing the Judo club at the school. Sitan is about as good as it gets for stand up, and although the judo club never really had too many experienced guys there, the guy who runs it (Shiina) is a legit 8th dan from Japan.
Untitled Document

they probably all offer a free trial. check them all out and decide whats best for you.

For the money you'll be hard pressed to find a school as good as Scarola's. I think it's $130 with Scarola and Muller (Serra's first 2 black belts) teaching all the BJJ, and I believe Anthony D'Angelo is teachingn the Kickboxing. Another good thing about Muller and Scarola is they tend to intergrate a lot of self-defense and MMA into the BJJ classes even for beginners.

This is a great price for BJJ. If I lived closer I would go to Scarola's. Joe and Tom are class A guys.

Actually Tom is teaching the striking now =) but the rest of this info is 100% accurate. The classes did fill up which is why as of Monday they are splitting the classes (beginner and advanced)
I believe the price is still $130 but he is thinking about increasing it a few bucks a month (so if you were thinking about enrolling get grandfathered in now) Either way its well worth the money.

How is Florida Paige? I mean Mikey??

St. Johns has a judo club?? Where can I sign up for that?? I think I might check out scarolla then. I'm going check out progressive on monday unless it's incrediable cheap I might sign up for scarola now to get grandfathered in then start training more regularly in the winter. Thanks for the help guys

I can't comment on Any schools in Long Island however Progressive seems like a nice little school and if you are going for the BJJ program, it is taught by Rob G. who is a black belt under Sean Alvarez and is in the Renzo Gracie/Gracie Barra umbrella.

Also at SJU there is a Judo class, I'm curious to check it out myself.

What weight/height are you? When are you at school or free during school hours? If we can get some mat time I am there MWF and free between 2:20-4:40 most days. We can drill moves and I can teach you some BJJ if your interested.

Any other SJU students practice BJJ/Judo/Grappling????

I don't go there anymore, but for the last two years, the judo club met on tuesday/thursdays from 3-4 in the room connected to the gym.

Come train at Emerson Souza, located in Baldwin on merrick avenue.....Gi-Bjj, No-gi Bjj, and MMA......All classes are taught by Emerson. - Home

limap3tb4.jpg

Hrmm missing Souzas. also dont think its called xtreme couture anymore....

Come train at Emerson Souza, located in Baldwin on merrick avenue.....Gi-Bjj, No-gi Bjj, and MMA......All classes are taught by Emerson. - Home

Damn that's like 5 min from my crib. Damn so many options. Guess I'm just going have to try them all like which ever one I feel give me the best bang for my buck get's me I guess.

Storm I'm a Junior right now. I got class M-TH Monday and Wednesday I finish at 1. Tuesday and Thurs I got classes from 730-1035 the break till 440 till 6 and Thursday nights I have a night class. Also wednesday night I have honor society meeting at 5 till whenever. All in all 18 credits and I work on monday,friday and saturday. My stats I'm 6'0 260 but not a solid 260 at all. I used to play football in high school then my senior year i tried out wrestling loved it then after high school just went to school worked at a restaurant for like 40 hours a week so I went from 200 to 260 in 3 years :icon_neut:mad: so I'm trying get back in shape by doing a sport because when I was in high school it was either football,track, or wrestling that kept me motivated. Also I want to win again my last football game we lost in the playoffs and in wrestling I got eliminated in my match in semis so I didn't get to go to states granted it was my first year but still I wanted to atleast get to states.

Back