Long arms, short legs

Art of War

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
What are your thoughts on this for mma? I've had some kickboxing matches and my long arms have done well for me. I have a lot of power and range for knockouts with my hands. But my arms are so long and my legs are short enough (if not so short) that I don't even feel like I have much better range with kicks than I do with punches lol.

What are your thoughts on this as to how it plays into style and can you recommend any fighters to watch with this body type?

I'll offer my own perspective if anybody comes across this thread with the same question.

For me, I like to keep them on the outside with jabs, waiting for my opportunity to throw a cross down the pipe. If I get crowded, I like the throw two shovel hooks to the ribs and then clinch up or push off. If I catch the rush in time, I can teep them away and pop back in with a superman punch, follow by a hand combination. If they've gotten adjusted to my hand combinations and rhythm, I start mixing in low kicks after a fake or a jab. I'd like to get good with knees because I feel like that could mix in nicely.

Last edited:
The Gorilla Style. Youtube some Gorilla fights.

I'm sure some posters here have experience but what do you want them to say? To tell you how you should fight? You can't just give strangers some of your measurements and expect them to pick your perfect style. Even guys who actually know you might have a hard time telling you your perfect style.

You train and do everything to the best of your abilities and end up fighting how you end up fighting.
The way someone fights depends on so many things you can't really expect stranger son the internet who simply know you have long powerful arms to tell you "fight just like that and do this and that" and suddenly you have your perfect style and fighting to the best of your abilties.

Maybe that's just me but just watching guys with a similar body type or doing things work for some with that body type isn't guaranteed success.

Not sure how many kcikboxers I know with long arms and not that long legs. Overeem has long arms and uses mostly hands and knees but he's also tall and has long legs, guys like Saki, Sefo, Roosmalen, Zambidis, Manhoef and others use their hands a lot but don't really have super long arms. I guess Zack Mwekassa is the clost to that describtion even though he has only been a pr kickboxer for a little bit but his arms are long in comparison to his legs I guess and he obviously uses mostly his hands.

But again if you don't have any specific reason/techniques for which you wanna watch those guys then i don't know what you expect you don't just watch some fighter and decide that this is how you should fight.

I'm sure some posters here have experience but what do you want them to say? To tell you how you should fight? You can't just give strangers some of your measurements and expect them to pick your perfect style. Even guys who actually know you might have a hard time telling you your perfect style.

You train and do everything to the best of your abilities and end up fighting how you end up fighting.
The way someone fights depends on so many things you can't really expect stranger son the internet who simply know you have long powerful arms to tell you "fight just like that and do this and that" and suddenly you have your perfect style and fighting to the best of your abilties.

Maybe that's just me but just watching guys with a similar body type or doing things work for some with that body type isn't guaranteed success.

Not sure how many kcikboxers I know with long arms and not that long legs. Overeem has long arms and uses mostly hands and knees but he's also tall and has long legs, guys like Saki, Sefo, Roosmalen, Zambidis, Manhoef and others use their hands a lot but don't really have super long arms. I guess Zack Mwekassa is the clost to that describtion even though he has only been a pr kickboxer for a little bit but his arms are long in comparison to his legs I guess and he obviously uses mostly his hands.

But again if you don't have any specific reason/techniques for which you wanna watch those guys then i don't know what you expect you don't just watch some fighter and decide that this is how you should fight.

Thanks man but I've been doing things long enough to know I'm not going to get good by watching videos of people with my body type. Don't treat me like an idiot. Watching people who've figured out how to effectively use the same blueprint is helpful. Anybody who tells you otherwise is wrong, your body type is the most fundamental aspect of your style.

It's hard to imagine your legs and arms are different enough to make a notable difference in how you fight.

But, I'll play along. Your set up to be a brawl'N'sprawl kind of guy. Short legs means low center of gravity and lower hips, long arms to box and to grab underhooks if someone shoots on you.

Having your kicking range and punching range so close together allows you to flow much better between punching and kicking attacks. If your kicks are at a much longer range then you need to create space every time you want to kick. I would rather have the versatility of hitting with everything at the same range.

You control punching and clinching range. Pretty sweet actually.

Generally kicking with the shin ends up being a similar distance to punching. Its with the instep that makes it longer.

Back