Lloyd Irvin

ozyabbas

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I went to his website and it seems that he knows the secrets to become the next Marcelo or at least kick serious arse at most competitions.

Does anyone actually go to his gym or has read his books etc post on this board. If so I would really appreciate it if you could give an insight to what Lloyd Irvins philosophy (secrets) to becoming a better grappler.

I would prefer it if people didn't post derogatory stuff about him, I would rather just have a civilised debate about what he is teaching and if it is actually usefull.

If his star pupils are so good because of his secrets or because they just ate/breathed/lived bjj for a number of years.

Do other people on this board think that his star students are one trick ponies developed specifically for competition or do they have a well rounded game.

This has been done to death.

The consensus is that Lloyd is an awesome coach. Fowler and Hall are definitely the real deal. His marketing is over the top ghey.

If you train full time with a high calibur grappling coach with unlimited funds, you have a chance to be the next Ryangles if you have some huge natural talent.

The real grappling gameplan.

1. Find a BJJ black belt.

2. Train nothing but BJJ everyday, nonstop for 3-5 years.

3. Enter tournaments as often as humanely possible (Pray you or your coach have the cash for this one).

4. Train some more.

Hall and Fowler are good.. but thats 2 out of ass load of people that's under Lloyd's schools.. I mean.. jesus.. where does Lloyd NOT have a school these days..

Hall and Fowler are also naturally gifted athletes and they did NOTHING but BJJ for a long time. A lot of people would be really good if they did nothing but train BJJ.

Lloyd doesn't have any secrets. There are no secret diet or ways of training to get you really good. It's all about how dedicated you are and how much time you can spend on training. No secrets.

the other day i was killing time at a bookstore and was reading one of those new mma magazines: the man has a large ad, talking about "get your bjj black belt in three years"

yeah, i am very curious: when you order whatever it is that you order from him -- what the fuck is it? i mean, is it 12 cassettes and a book with pictures?

you want to train with someone that is actually an outstanding coach, go renzo gracie, go jacare, go leozinho, go andre pederneiras, go ricardo liborio... go ze mario sperry, or even better go rickson gracie.

average coach Irvin, from what I have gathered.. not many classy students coming from his classes. still worth it I am sure. As for "secrets" to become an outstanding grappler, just train hard (very hard) and prey you have the natural hability to do it.

If you are looking for "secrets," this is the wrong sport.

i couldn't take it anymore and ordered it, and just received it - it's just a book with one page - it reads "the secret: just foot lock the fool you're fighting"

Don't get me wrong, Lloyd has got some great students and they do well in tournaments. But it does kinda bug me that he is marketing and advertising that he can make you an insane grappler, and insinuates that there is some kind of shortcut you can take to becoming great. There are no shortcuts in life, whoever works hardest does the best, plain and simple.

Don't get me wrong, Lloyd has got some great students and they do well in tournaments. But it does kinda bug me that he is marketing and advertising that he can make you an insane grappler, and insinuates that there is some kind of shortcut you can take to becoming great. There are no shortcuts in life, whoever works hardest does the best, plain and simple.

If you need to take a shortcut the goal isn't worth it

His "shortcut" in many cases are changes from traditional BJJ training philosphy. So rather than shortcut, maybe a faster road is the better description of what he sells. Of course some of his claims are over the top, but he's just marketing.

I have bben to lloyd school and he breaks the game down really well. The way he presents stuff is not the best way but people talk about him regardless. He should take a different approach I think.

My two favorite things about Irvin.

1. Sports psychology
--Everybody gets in ruts from time to time, amateurs and pros. I love guys who act like they never do.

2. Specialization
--This is probably the most unique thing. LI believes in choosing a "game" relatively early--apparently based on body type--and then focusing exclusively on perfecting that game before adding elements.

There are some very sound reasons why LI has come to prefer this approach. I suspect they have to do with his being a blue belt who had to teach himself for long periods of time.

When you look at pro athletes, very few are "well-rounded." Most are extremely good in one or two things, and just above average in the rest. That's all it takes, from a competitive perspective.

I don't think you need to spend $100s to get this, though. I've gotten all I need from LI just from his free e-mails.

Several Lloyd Irvin students compete at US Grappling events. The kids are polite and patient, the adults are polite and patient. They don't ask for special favors. They clean up their divisions. The biggest difference in the LI guys and other guys competing that I've noticed is that the LI guys really LISTEN to their coaches. They listen and execute.

To the person that said that the LI guys don't have any class - that has not been my experience, at all.

Several Lloyd Irvin students compete at US Grappling events. The kids are polite and patient, the adults are polite and patient. They don't ask for special favors. They clean up their divisions. The biggest difference in the LI guys and other guys competing that I've noticed is that the LI guys really LISTEN to their coaches. They listen and execute.

To the person that said that the LI guys don't have any class - that has not been my experience, at all.

And I also have seen his "students" get worked at US Grappling. It all depends which team we are talking about. Lloyd has more schools than anyone at this point. Not all of his coaches are good. I have also seen Lloyd throw a temper tantrum at a tournament because he thought one of the refs made a bad call. Having a discussion with the ref about the call is one thing, but yelling and screaming is another.

With that said, he isn't the only one either. I have also seen Ralph Gracie yelling his lungs out at people at tournaments, and various other coaches/fighters.

And I also have seen his "students" get worked at US Grappling. It all depends which team we are talking about. Lloyd has more schools than anyone at this point. Not all of his coaches are good. I have also seen Lloyd throw a temper tantrum at a tournament because he thought one of the refs made a bad call. Having a discussion with the ref about the call is one thing, but yelling and screaming is another.

With that said, he isn't the only one either. I have also seen Ralph Gracie yelling his lungs out at people at tournaments, and various other coaches/fighters.

I think every coach has gotten upset with a referee and reacted in a way that he/she was sorry for later. Those outbursts are the exception rather than the rule, though.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back