Liver kick

Mino

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Sorry for noobie question but i dont train standup and i am one so its ok.

Whats the difference between a liver kick and a kick to the ribs? Everyone was saying that crocop finished that magomedov guy with a liver kick but i thought it was pretty clearly in the ribs about half a foot under his armpit. I always thought the liver was further down and round the back more but i could be wrong. The same with the heath herring fight, looked in the ribs to me.

the liver is underneath the floating ribs(I think) a kick there would impact it, especially if it was slightly below the ribs and moving up.

Instead of me making a new thread I just decided to ask my question on this thread because it partained to it....

Whats is the purpose of a Liver Kick over a kick to the ribs? Can a Liver kick be devestating enough to knock someone out? I guess what Im asking is their a significant benifit to it over a kick to the ribs??? I don't know the anatomy and the amount of punishment a liver can take...help me here guys...

FreestyleMMA said:
Instead of me making a new thread I just decided to ask my question on this thread because it partained to it....

Whats is the purpose of a Liver Kick over a kick to the ribs? Can a Liver kick be devestating enough to knock someone out? I guess what Im asking is their a significant benifit to it over a kick to the ribs??? I don't know the anatomy and the amount of punishment a liver can take...help me here guys...

Oh god yes it can knock someone out. Getting hit hard in the liver causes an immeasurable amount of pain that you can barely even think straight let alone fight.

isn't it the side of the body?
if you're facing the guy, his liver would be on your left side. kick him left foot, obviously.

peace.

Crocop vs Magomedov was a liver kick. Loiseau vs McCarthy was a rib kick. Both ended the fight, but you can see a difference in the reactions to it. It took a couple of seconds for Magomedov to react while McCarthy's reaction was immediate.

try lightly punching yourself in both places. Your right side should hurt a little more. Part of the liver sticks out under your right ribcage. Its in the front the kidneys are in the back

Don't forget teeps aimed for the solar pexus, very painfull as well. Most folks throw em at the gut when they could just aim up 6 inches and score a possible knockdown, or very hurt opponent.

plus, you (the kicker) feel the difference also. if you hit ribs, you feel more resistance. if you hit liver, you can actually feel your shin bury into your oppenent.

oh, and their facial reactions usually tell the difference too.

The ribs are there to protect internal organs, and do the job very well. However, there's no enough room in there for things like the liver- so somewhere along the lines, the heart and lungs took precedence and got the the protection. SO, kicking to the ribs is like shooting someone who's wearing a bullet proof vest with a small caliber, it hurts, but it's not gonna stop em.

luckyTAP said:
The ribs are there to protect internal organs, and do the job very well. However, there's no enough room in there for things like the liver- so somewhere along the lines, the heart and lungs took precedence and got the the protection. SO, kicking to the ribs is like shooting someone who's wearing a bullet proof vest with a small caliber, it hurts, but it's not gonna stop em.

Tell McCarthy that Loiseau wasn't able to stop him with a rib kick.

I want to bump this thread because I distinctly remember there being a really devastating liver kick in either shooto or zst but i dont know the names of the fighters, If anyone knows any liver kicks from japanese orgs please let me know.

you want a good idea what a well placed and timed liver shot can do?

youtube gatti vs. dorin

lol please note that i doubt any of the above posters would reread this thread as its very old, I am looking for someone to answer my particular question :)

*cheers*

YouTube - MMA Muay Thai Boxing Liver Body Shot

This vid should answer the question

Liver shots can do plenty of damage, it's quite rare to get a ko from a single shot (though it does happen) but they can really slow a guy down and drain away his strength and energy, fighting with damaged internal organs aint no joke

Its not a problem if you can keep fighting with it feeling like your insides are on fire. But that bothers most people, so yea it works.

Back