• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

List your age and whether you can drive a manual transmission car or not.......go!

40's and nope.

I can use the triptronic "manual" mode in my car just fine though. :cool:

32 and as a non American should say yes, but considering that I needed to drive quickly and that I only did my license...few months ago I say no. AT only

And they said we didn't have enough people interested in an automotive forum. Got 4 pages worth of people responding to "can you drive stick".

And for me it's a sort of. First time driving manual i got it out of 1st and 2nd gear but then stalled a million times after that. I understand how but i don't have a manual car (or any car for that matter) to practice on.

Im 30 btw

35. Yes, but only if I have to. It's been 17 years since driving manual.

41and yes. Never had car without manual transmission.
To deal with horse is far more complicated stuff.

Too old and yes. Anything from 3 on the tree to an 18 speed.
FY8ABNZILQTGBQZ.LARGE.jpg

1498178197.9601.jpg

39 yes, my wife is 38 and she can, I have twin 14yo daughters and they can too. Keeps the phone out of their hands

45, yes both left and right hand drive and my daily driver is a manual. I prefer it because it's more fun to drive.

But I must admit the benefits for daily driving are marginal (can push start if needed, saves on new car cost and cheaper to replace) but automatics are more efficient these days so fuel economy is no longer a factor. But even if you DD an automatic, NOT knowing how to drive stick is missing out on a basic life skill. It means you won't be able to rent a car in majority of countries in the world, let alone be able to drive in an emergency situation.

It's like not knowing how to swim. Even if you hate swimming, you should know how to do it if needed.

Last edited:
And TS if you're looking for objective polling data, I lost a bet on this about 5 years ago in the office I worked at in NYC area. My buddy polled everyone on our floor (about 20 people) and over a third knew how to drive stick, which was MORE than the number of folks who had ever cleaned and filleted a whole fish. Sample size included folks from age 22 to early 40's.

Last edited:
Late 30's and no...I'm not a race car driver or terrorist driving some janky '85 Toyota around Afghanistan...

36 and of fucking course, I’m a man. I’ve owned 5 cars and 4 were manual.

39 and yes but haven’t had a manual car since I was 19. I didn’t like driving one in the city.

Back