Lifting weights before or after a bjj session?

Flibb

Uwe Boll fan
@Green
Reaction score
I do both pretty intense and would need time to recover. I tend to do bjj first because its more important to me.

General Concensus would say that anything heavily based around fluidity of movement and demonstration of skill or technique needs your muscles to be in top condition, so they're better able to attain muscle memory, as well as do exactly what you tell them to. If you're a serious weight-lifter(i.e.- You don't use the Squat Assist rack to tone up your biceps then leave the gym) that understands how to hit the high stages of fatigue, I would say stick with BJJ first, then weights to 'finish' the night off.

Intensity levels and personal capacity make the biggest claim in how you train, though. If you were a person that tended to go for soft, short periods of weight lifting, I'd tell you to do it before-hand as a pansy warm-up. If you're moving serious steel, though, always finish the exercises that require the most focus beforehand.

If your upper-body were completely exhausted before showing up on a Rolling night, and someone clapped an armbar on, you could be in a dangerous situation.

Definitely after. Preferrably many hours apart or later in the day - even better on separate days.

I usually train with high intensity, compound movements (bench, cleans, squats, chins, dips). I would definitely not have the energy to complete this workout after a decent judo session.

Nor would I be able to train with 100% effort at judo if I did not allow for enough rest (ie; 1 day at least). I would fear injury - a valid point as Guards mentioned.

judogido said:
Definitely after. Preferrably many hours apart or later in the day - even better on separate days.

I usually train with high intensity, compound movements (bench, cleans, squats, chins, dips). I would definitely not have the energy to complete this workout after a decent judo session.

Nor would I be able to train with 100% effort at judo if I did not allow for enough rest (ie; 1 day at least). I would fear injury - a valid point as Guards mentioned.
agreed

judogido said:

would this effect recovery time?

I don't have the luxus to train both things seperated because i have 4 week days BJJ and on sunday i don't want to visit the gym.

Personally I go to BJJ then head straight to the gym to lift from there. After a few weeks of getting accustomed to it, my lifts have remained pretty good right after BJJ. Now, if I were to wait a few hours after rolling for the exhaustion to really set in, I don't think I'd have as good a lifting workout.

Definately BJJ first IMO.

Not to go against the flow but I usually do the opposite. Judo drains too much energy for me to lift weights after, but weights leave me with enough energy to do judo after. And I'm usually the strongest guy around the dojo so if doing weights before can get me a bit weaker, it'll just make me focus more on technique.

i dont have the time to do weights after.
bjj and judo for me run from 8pm to 10.
my gym closes at 10.
i do an upper body weights session at 6pm on a thursday and then do judo at 8pm.
on saturdays i do a lower body weights session at 10am and then do bjj at 12.

infamous mattyd said:
would this effect recovery time?
What do you mean, Mattyd?

You have to have adequate recovery time or risk overtraining & injury as well as mental fatigue/loss of motivation. I have no "set" schedule. I train judo Tuesdays & Thursdays, occasionally I visit another club & do 3x 1 hour classes of Wrestling/BJJ/Thai Boxing on an extra day.

I do the weight training at least once a week. I prefer Friday or Saturday so I have a couple of days rest. I plan to increase this to include a Wednesday morning session, giving me the longest possible recovery time before Thursday training.

Recovery is always tricky & sometimes you have to know when to take it easy take an extra day off or substitute for something else.

I take some supplements (Musashi creatine/L-glutamine/taurine stack, a protien drink, Multivitamin/mineral pills, extra Vitamin C and glucosamine after heavy sessions).

When I am tired, I will have a caffeine drink (I know the reasons why one should not, but it helps dispel the lethargy I get sometimes & I watch my fluid intake).

I do both on the same day pretty frequently. I lift 4x/ week & train 4x/week. I try to do them on separate days when possible, but thats not always possible. I often lift on my lunch break around noon & train BJJ at night. Honestly, I gas easier in BJJ on days that I lifted earlier, no matter what I do. Just get sufficient rest & plenty of carbs in between, and you wont notice as much. It seems to work for me.

I recently switched from a high volume lifting routine to a HIT routine, which utilizes higher intensity & lower # of total sets. This has helped me a lot with recovery.

Word of Warning- do not squat or do any heavy lift for legs on a training day! I tried it once & we had tons of guard drills that day. I had no energy in my legs after 15min. It was a brutal class to get through. I only squat on off days now.

i always separate them by at least a couple hours (preferably lift in the morning and bjj at night for me), and i'll eat a huge meal in between.

if you don't have the option i'd say it depends on your goals. whichever is more important to you do first to make sure you have the energy.

Do them in separate days. If you can't do them one in the morning, one in the evening. If you can't (and want to do them in the same session):
colinm said:
it depends on your goals. whichever is more important to you do first to make sure you have the energy.

I have always lifted right before, and it has never really affected me in bjj.

Most people tend to be discussing either some mediocre weightlifting that doesn't send you into a high-stage of fatigure, or as many people mentioned, have placed at least 6 hours between their time in the gym, and their time training the chosen MA. These are cases that I also tried to specify above.

If you have significant amounts of time in a chopped schedule to do weightlifting in the morning or mid-afternoon, then do BJJ at night, that's fine. You're at least giving yourself some time to cool down, get some fresh blood going.. Hell, even eat a meal and take a nap if you want to.

But as I said above. If you're a gymrat that can move metal by the metric fuckton, you're going to be far too exhausted after a weight-lifting session to have a safe training class. IF you don't hit the weights hard, and just do 2 medium sets on a muscle-group before moving to another section, this is a different type of weight-lifting. Many of us consider this more as a suitable "Warm Up" before training. There's a huge difference in intensity factors to be taken into play.

When I lift weights, I lift hard, and usually have a hard time holding a cup/glass/bottle of water steady to drink from for up to an hour afterwards. THAT kind of training could be heavily detrimental if a training regiment in the martial arts were to follow immediately, and could lead to a serious injury. If I was lifting only 50-70% intensity for 15-25 minutes without exhausting any major muscle-groups, then I would consider that a before-class warm-up.

Back