Lifting foot to drop weight into punch

Captain_Dammitt

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
[YT]eGqLaIeyQBE[/YT]

At 5:30 in the video. He basically says instead of moving your foot like you're putting out a cigarette you lift your foot slightly and drop your weight into the shot. Is this something that you practice and incorporate into your punching techniques?

[YT]eGqLaIeyQBE[/YT]

At 5:30 in the video. He basically says instead of moving your foot like you're putting out a cigarette you lift your foot slightly and drop your weight into the shot. Is this something that you practice and incorporate into your punching techniques?

All I can say is that Jack Dempsey in his book book says: to throw a back hand uppercut, you gotta drop your weight on the opposite foot (opposite to the strking arm). The JVT guy mostly shows right uppercut, so , he had to drop weight on the left leg. He does totally opposite

Maybe he has some point for the lead hand uppercut (left), so as an initial step you may do the trick he suggests, but still, there must a weight transfer onto the opposite leg somewhere in the technique.

^^Nah that's not true, uppercuts really don't need a lot of weight transfer.

Taking small steps with the foot you're punching with can be a great way to learn the technique.

I'm not really concerned with an uppercut per se, more or less the theory behind the drop.

^^Nah that's not true, uppercuts really don't need a lot of weight transfer.

Taking small steps with the foot you're punching with can be a great way to learn the technique.

I talk about a full-fledge KO punch

I'm not really concerned with an uppercut per se, more or less the theory behind the drop.

In this case I'd say yes,
the muscles you do not use when dropping are activated in the next stage when springing uprwards. This method is legit in many other moves: you loose speed when do two diff moves with the same muscle groups

I talk about a full-fledge KO punch

I was always told that power from the uppercut comes from getting your weight under it so to speak not transfering it. Sinister even says to keep the weight on your back foot for the hard right hand. I'd imagine it would be the same for the uppercut.

In this case I'd say yes,
the muscles you do not use when dropping are activated in the next stage when springing uprwards. This method is legit in many other moves: you loose speed when do two diff moves with the same muscle groups

Is it just to be able to push harder with the leg?

Normally when you use that technique to learn a punch the idea is actually to teach weight transfer. So if you throw a right hand, you take a very small step with your right foot which forces you to hold weight in the left hip. Then the right foot lands, takes some weight and the punch connects. It's similar for this uppercut, but more weight is dropping onto the back foot and less is being transferred to the lead foot.

Floyd does this. So does Canelo Alvarez. Both land with the ball, but the heel. I've heard Luis call that a "cat-step."

Floyd does this. So does Canelo Alvarez. Both land with the ball, but the heel. I've heard Luis call that a "cat-step."

I noticed this once I saw this in the video. I think Mayweather does it in the ESPN video where he shows how to throw the right hand. Is there a reason this would be preferred to over the usual way?

I noticed this once I saw this in the video. I think Mayweather does it in the ESPN video where he shows how to throw the right hand. Is there a reason this would be preferred to over the usual way?

Keeps you from falling into the punch. The cat-step makes it easier to manage your weight distribution, while a flat-footed step tends to make you lunge in head first.

This and OP look like 2 very different physiological concepts

Keeps you from falling into the punch. The cat-step makes it easier to manage your weight distribution, while a flat-footed step tends to make you lunge in head first.

I see. Let's say you do it the conventional way correctly, would this cat-step be more powerful?

All I can say is that Jack Dempsey in his book book says: to throw a back hand uppercut, you gotta drop your weight on the opposite foot (opposite to the strking arm). The JVT guy mostly shows right uppercut, so , he had to drop weight on the left leg. He does totally opposite

Maybe he has some point for the lead hand uppercut (left), so as an initial step you may do the trick he suggests, but still, there must a weight transfer onto the opposite leg somewhere in the technique.

Actually from what I read they are in exact agreement it's just the emphasis they put on different aspects but they both lead to the same mechanics. This is what Dempsey says about the rear hand uppercut: "The right uppercut, however, is much more explosive from your normal stance than from the toes-even stance. Greater freedom for right legspring and left shoulder-wrench provides faster body-surge, despite the fact that the weight-shift from right to left foot is not as great as when the feet are even"
He's saying the power comes from driving forcefully off the rear leg (same side as punch) and the opposite shoulder going back which is exactly what JTVan is doing when he drops his weight onto the right foot so he can drive back up with it and pull his left shoulder back. In the end he is still transferring his weight a small amount onto the left foot, but like Jack Dempsey states it's not nearly that important for the rear hand uppercut.

The theory is plyometrics, a depth jump of sorts. You load the elastic structures of the leg by dropping quickly down which allows you explode back up on that same leg assisted by the stored potential energy of your tendons and muscles.

I've seen the idea of dropping into punches before but never for an upper cut. Interesting.

I have never seen this technique/style for throwing the uppercut, but if it works for you and the man in the video why not incorporate it. I have been doing mma since 2009 and boxing since 2008 now and one thing I noticed is that there really is no right or wrong way to throw a punch for maximum power, its just about whatever works for you and translates best to your style and stance. Like most boxing coaches would cringe seeing their fighter throwing an overhand right (aka )throwing a fast ball) but with that particular punch Maidana was able to give broner and floyd who are very defensively responsible fighters tons of problems in the ring. For my right hand I like to step in/fall in with it, much like Bernard Hopkins and GGG do, it helps me get more momentum and allows me to use my legs and give the punch a little more umph. My coaches used to hate it, yell at me all the time about it.. UNTIL i started setting it up with the jab and putting everybody in the gym and in exhibitions on their ass with it lol sometimes it just takes experimentation and tinkering in the gym before you find your sunday punch...im gonna try this variation of the uppercut tonight and see how it goes.
(example of BHop stepping in/falling in 1:39-1:41ish)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9BnR12uK3c

Back