• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

News Life after death: Astronomers find a planet that shouldn't exist

LeonardoBjj

Professional Wrestler
@Black
Reaction score
Date: June 28, 2023
Source: University of Hawaii at Manoa
Summary: The star would have inflated up to 1.5 times the planet's orbital distance -- engulfing the planet in the process -- before shrinking to its current size at only one-tenth of that distance.

When our Sun reaches the end of its life, it will expand to 100 times its current size, enveloping the Earth. Many planets in other solar systems face a similar doom as their host stars grow old. But not all hope is lost, as astronomers from the University of Hawaii Institute for Astronomy (UH IfA) have made the remarkable discovery of a planet's survival after what should have been certain demise at the hands of its sun.

krypton.jpg

The Jupiter-like planet 8 UMi b, officially named Halla, orbits the red giant star Baekdu (8 UMi) at only half the distance separating the Earth and the Sun. Using two Maunakea Observatories on Hawaiii Island -- W. M. Keck Observatory and Canada-France-Hawaii Telescope (CFHT) -- a team of astronomers led by Marc Hon, a NASA Hubble Fellow at UH IfA, has discovered that Halla persists despite the normally perilous evolution of Baekdu. Using observations of Baekdu's stellar oscillations from NASA's Transiting Exoplanet Survey Satellite (TESS), they found that the star is burning helium in its core, signaling that it had already expanded enormously into a red giant star once before.

The star would have inflated up to 1.5 times the planet's orbital distance -- engulfing the planet in the process -- before shrinking to its current size at only one-tenth of that distance.

The study is published in today's issue of the journal Nature.

"Planetary engulfment has catastrophic consequences for either the planet or the star itself -- or both. The fact that Halla has managed to persist in the immediate vicinity of a giant star that would have otherwise engulfed it highlights the planet as an extraordinary survivor," said Hon, the lead author of the study.

Maunakea Observatories Confirm the Survivor

The planet Halla was discovered in 2015 by a team of astronomers from Korea using the radial velocity method, which measures the periodic movement of a star due to the gravitational tug of the orbiting planet. Following the discovery that the star must at one time have been larger than the planet's orbit, the IfA team conducted additional observations from 2021-2022 using Keck Observatory's High-Resolution Echelle Spectrometer (HIRES) and CFHT's ESPaDOnS instrument. These new data confirmed the planet's 93-day, nearly circular orbit had remained stable for over a decade and that the radial velocity changes must be due to a planet.

"Together, these observations confirmed the existence of the planet, leaving us with the compelling question of how the planet actually survived," said IfA astronomer Daniel Huber, second author of the study. "The observations from multiple telescopes on Maunakea was critical in this process."

Escaping Engulfment

577lava.gif

At a distance of 0.46 astronomical units (AU, or the Earth-Sun distance) to its star, the planet Halla resembles 'warm' or 'hot' Jupiter-like planets that are thought to have started on larger orbits before migrating inward close to their stars. However, in the face of a rapidly evolving host star, such an origin becomes an extremely unlikely survival pathway for planet Halla.

Another theory for the planet's survival is that it never faced the danger of engulfment. Similar to the famous planet Tatooine from Star Wars, which orbits two suns, the team believes the host star Baekdu may have originally been two stars. A merger of these two stars may have prevented any one of them from expanding sufficiently large enough to engulf the planet.

A third possibility is that Halla is a relative newborn -- that the violent collision between the two stars produced a gas cloud from which the planet formed. In other words, the planet Halla may be a recently-born 'second generation' planet.

"Most stars are in binary systems, but we don't yet fully grasp how planets may form around them. Therefore, it's plausible that more planets may actually exist around highly evolved stars thanks to binary interactions," explained Hon.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2023/06/230628130343.htm

I read a lot of shit about space and I am pretty sure that they are making up about 99 percent of that shit.

They know no one is gonna check the math so they just say some shit that sounds good.

"Hey it rains liquid titanium here and this other planet is made out of water that turns into ice at different temperatures."

Nobody observed any star changing to 100 times its size. They did some math and took a guess.

But nobody is buying a book called "shit we guessed about but who the fuck really knows?" So they present it as verified fact.

-------

Don't mind me. I'm just jaded is all.

I hope all this shit is true. And they really found whatever they think they found.

Probably just a rouge planet that got caught in the stars orbit well it was inflated.

then as the Star shrunk down to its current state it makes it look like that planet was always in its current orbit…

The amount of observations made in the last 10 years that don’t match any of the models we have of the universe is somewhat telling to me. The constant need to introduce more and more mysterious and exotic particles/forces/energy to make any of the established models work with observations I think is a red flag that the established cosmological models have serious flaws or are outright incorrect.

The amount of observations made in the last 10 years that don’t match any of the models we have of the universe is somewhat telling to me. The constant need to introduce more and more mysterious and exotic particles/forces/energy to make any of the established models work with observations I think is a red flag that the established cosmological models have serious flaws or are outright incorrect.

It's hubris to assume we are the one era that finally understands how the universe works. The people living 100, 200, etc years from now are going to have vastly different views.

"Hey, I just ran the calculations in a computer and like literally everything is WAY off. There would need to be about 20 times as much matter for any of the current model math to work."

" That's cause of dark matter."

"What's dark matter?"

"You can't see it or measure it but just pretend it fills in all the missing weight/mass so we don't have to redo all that math."

"Dark matter it is."

The centrifugal repulsive magnetic force during Baekdu's evolution likely pushed planet Halla outward from it's original location.
f56e96ae3bad751b300a7f4ec9fd48e6.gif

blow-mind-mind-blown.gif

It's not 100% certain that Earth and Mars will be destroyed by the Sun that really doesn't change the reality of the situation. Earth will not be able to host life even after slight solar expansion.

I read a lot of shit about space and I am pretty sure that they are making up about 99 percent of that shit.

They know no one is gonna check the math so they just say some shit that sounds good.

"Hey it rains liquid titanium here and this other planet is made out of water that turns into ice at different temperatures."

Nobody observed any star changing to 100 times its size. They did some math and took a guess.

But nobody is buying a book called "shit we guessed about but who the fuck really knows?" So they present it as verified fact.

-------

Don't mind me. I'm just jaded is all.

I hope all this shit is true. And they really found whatever they think they found.
Exactly. It’s pure speculation and they should present it as such.

Maybe instead of a binary star system with a planet, maybe it's a tri-star system with one that's a brown dwarf

That's why we need good state-of-the-art telescopes up there.

It's not 100% certain that Earth and Mars will be destroyed by the Sun that really doesn't change the reality of the situation. Earth will not be able to host life even after slight solar expansion.

Never seen wandering Earth I take it!

820e0f93931179.5e71a1235bfcd.gif

Back