Let's talk about Prisoners(2013)

FoxxMango

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I just revisited this movie for the 3rd time, and I gotta say, this is one of my favorite films of all time. It seemingly gets better every time I re-watch it. Not many movies can create an environment this well.
file_581445_prisoners-poster.jpg

To those who havent seen this Drama/Thriller(go watch it) it stars Hugh Jackman and Jake Gyllenhaal, with supporting roles from Paul Dano, Viola Davis, and Terrence Howard, amongst others. It was written and directed by Denis Villanueve(Sicario, Bladerunner2049, Incendies, and the future remake of Dune). It's a crime thriller that takes the familiar plot of abducted children and adds more than a couple twists to it. Hugh Jackman "plays" Keller Dover, the father to 1 of the 2 abducted girls, notice I put "plays" in quotations. That's because jackman doesnt just play the character, he becomes the character. This is Hugh Jackmans best performance IMO. He plays a mysterious, stoic, yet ruthlessly intense family man whose world has been turned upside down. Jake Gyllenhaal plays Detective Loki, the man assigned to the case, full of anxious ticks, a tired demeanor and a burning desire to find the children. The dynamic between these 2 characters is phenomenal.
grant_warnerbros_prisoners_64011.jpg

Its a slow burn, but yet the movie never feels too long or drawn out. It not only follows the plotlines but has multiple subplots and reminds me of a prime m.night shamalyan movie. There are at least 5 scenes that stuck with me from this movie.
456489784_1280.jpg
This was probably one of the most nervewacking moments ive ever seen in film.

Anyways, I give Prisoners a 9.4 out of 10. Let me know your opinion on this movie. Love it, hate it, or somewhere in between. Thanks Sherdog.

Solid movie indeed. I enjoyed it, but not sure i'll watch it again so soon.

Keller Dover is a bit like "what would Wolverine look like if he got married with children?" (or what if Logan never became weapon X). I think it helps to identify the actor and the character he plays.

As a good sherdogger, let's give it a 5/7

Villeneuve is amazing.

Prisoners
Sicario
Arrival
Blade Runner 2049

Ill throw out another good movie from 2013 that nobody talks about.

Rush

Its a race car movie with chris hemsworth and its about his rivalry with another racer. Its very good as well and nobody ever mentions it

I remember watching 20 minutes of this and turning it off. I think I’ll give it another shot.

Rush

Its a race car movie with chris hemsworth and its about his rivalry with another racer. Its very good as well and nobody ever mentions it

I thought it deserved a best picture nomination, and possibly best actor for Daniel Bruhl.

Rush

Rush is a fantastic movie.

Rush

I've never heard a soundtrack fit so well with a movie besides Jurassic Park and star wars. Hans Zimmer is a God amongst composers

I've never heard a soundtrack fit so well with a movie besides Jurassic Park and star wars. Hans Zimmer is a God amongst composers

Then ill throw out a tv show nobody ever talks about.

Genius

Season 1 is about Einsteins life. Its a very under rated 10 episode series and hans zimmer produced the music.

A really good movie. One of my favourites from the past 10 yrs.

I thought I was pretty decent. The scene where he retard chokes the dog by lifting it up by the leash is really hard to watch for me. If I had been Keller, I would have gunned down that mongoloid right then.

great great movie, but terribly upsetting and I don't know if I could rewatch this ever again

kinda like requiem for a dream

It was great, really dark. I went in with no expectations and was blown away. 9.5/10

prisoners23.jpg

the faintest sound of a whistle

628091866.webp

One of the best movies ever. Also one of the best Jake Gyllenhaal and Hugh Jackman movies. Denis Villeneuve is a genius.

If you aren't already watching the newest season of True Detective (with Mahershala Ali) you should definitely check it out!

One of the best movies ever. Also one of the best Jake Gyllenhaal and Hugh Jackman movies. Denis Villeneuve is a genius.

If you aren't already watching the newest season of True Detective (with Mahershala Ali) you should definitely check it out!

I tried Season 1 when everyone was raving about it and it was ok but felt way over hyped IMO. Haven't wanted to go back since then.

Personally for me, Prisoners is the epitome of what a slow burn thriller is supposed to be.

Last edited:
Back