Let's talk about all time rankings AFTER the fighters career is over, not while they're active.

It annoys me to no end to see thread after thread talking about 'whos GOAT' or 'where does so and so rank all time' when the fighter is still active. Remember a guy named Renan Barao? He was talked about as a GOAT and look at him now. So let's pump the brakes and let the fighters finish theircareers before we start the GOAT talk. That is all.
I'm glad to say - not another sheeple sherdogger. Someone with a brain who uses it and is non myopic.

Barao never really beat anyone of note...he was supremely overhyped...and he was exposed...
Barao was overhyped but he was certainly high level.
Nobody dominated Faber like he did and Faber was right in the middle of his prime.
Wineland was a flawled fighter but very effective striker.
Michael Mcdonald was good but sorta fell off over night.
Brad pickett was not an easy guy to beat in the stand up.
Goat is a stretch but he was good and IMO top 3 BW of all time. He was clearly better than Faber who would be the #2 guy if it wasn't for Barao and TJ popping for steroids taints his legacy IMO

It annoys me to no end to see thread after thread talking about 'whos GOAT' or 'where does so and so rank all time' when the fighter is still active. Remember a guy named Renan Barao? He was talked about as a GOAT and look at him now. So let's pump the brakes and let the fighters finish theircareers before we start the GOAT talk. That is all.

Actually what you're saying doesn't make much sense.

By your rubric we cannot count Fedor, we cannot count Jones, not sure if we can even count GSP (retired, came back, still trains), Anderson Silva, BJ Penn technically, Mighty Mouse, Cruz technically, Aldo, DC, etc.

Also can we really count guys like Tito Ortiz or Chuck Liddell? They have fought recently, even guys like Royce Gracie and Ken Shamrock have fought semi-recently - although none of these guys would crack a top 5 or top 10 list anyway.

Essentially by your criteria there can be no discussion.

In other sports active players are counted such as Tom Brady and LeBron James. It's simply a dynamic measurement of their resume' and greatness that can still change. So I disagree, obviously anyone active can still change their legacy like Jon Jones losing a bunch or moving to HW and winning the belt and dominating / retiring undefeated for example. I reject the idea that we cannot have discussion at all. There is no set rules, it's an arbitrary thing.

By that logic Roy Jones still can't be considered yet for boxing GOAT.

That's not how this works. We need to celebrate the current GOATs before they are dethroned in their next fight or two. It's the circle of life in Sherdogging.

Everybody stop discussing what you are seeing guys.

TS is insecure about giving his opinions and thinks everybody needs to quit speculating.

Genius!

GOAT threads are half the threads.

Are you trying to kill Sherdog?

I find them very annoying when I'm trying to read my Conor threads.
If we just got rid of the GOAT threads then all the Conor threads would be together in one convenient place.

the coin gos both ways look at Aldo he's without a doubt a all time great yet how much ppl shit on him for his losses to Conor, Max, and Volk and overlook what he did prior.

By that logic Roy Jones still can't be considered yet for boxing GOAT.
Just think of where he would've been if he retired after the Ruiz fight or 1st Tarver fight instead of going on to getting stopped by Tarver, Johnson, Green, Lebedev, and Maccarinelli.

Agreed, thats why for me Dan Severn is the GOAT in MMA, no one even comes close to his accomplishments, when they go on 70 fight win streaks and win belts in nearly 35 different orgs, then we can talk about them

I find it fun when everyone is the goat. For even the slightest thing you can become the goat even for just a little while.

Agreed, thats why for me Dan Severn is the GOAT in MMA, no one even comes close to his accomplishments, when they go on 70 fight win streaks and win belts in nearly 35 different orgs, then we can talk about them
The point is most wouldn't bother even wanting to do that cos it dont mean much at all. If the fighters pulling in these kinds of records were any good,the ufc or bellator would bring them in.

Your the man in KOTC,and fights on the reservation both orgs that no one in this forum watches. Woopdiefuckindoodaa.

Back