Let's be real here, Tyson Fury would comfortably beat Prime Muhammed Ali.

I'm pretty sure you think Louis COULD beat Fury, you just wouldn't favor him. Because I think you'd agree that there's nobody in heavyweight history that would be immune to Louis's power and therefore, nobody that Louis didn't have a shot at stopping, giving his legendary capabilities as a finisher.
He could have I guess. But Fury has more ways to win.

I'm pretty sure you think Louis COULD beat Fury, you just wouldn't favor him. Because I think you'd agree that there's nobody in heavyweight history that would be immune to Louis's power and therefore, nobody that Louis didn't have a shot at stopping, giving his legendary capabilities as a finisher.
I don't think Joe Louis had more power than Deontay Wilder.

BGB%2BMuhammad%2BAli%2BVS%2BHenry%2BCooper%2BKD%2BGIF.gif

Enriiii....People need to stop been horrible about Mr Cooper one of the best to come out of out little island, Lennox doesn't count he's Canadian.

Last edited:
Fury does have the attributes to trouble and beat Ali. But, it takes more than that to beat an ATG. Fury is still hard to judge as he hasn’t beaten any good fighters impressively. His best win is Wlad, but it wasn’t really impressive and could have gone either way. He barely survived Wilder 1 and crushed him in the rematch, but Wilder is one of the worst fighters to ever hold a HW belt. Outside of Chisora, who is average, his resume is littered with no names. He needs to beat some top level guys to see where he will land all time. AJ, Usyk, Joyce, Parker, Ruiz etc could go a way is showing his true standing.
Can't believe you called Joyce and Ruiz top level

Ruiz was the heavyweight king, can't really get to a much higher level than that.

There have been many shit heavyweight Kings, just because your a king doesn't mean your high level, bermane stiverne held the wbc at one point!!!

Boxing is largely a sport of endurance and technique, it’s kind of annoying to think that steroids (because let’s be honest here) means that today’s guys are better.

I do think modern boxing has improved in the sense of game planning, when dozens of hours of HD footage are available and you only fight 2 times a year.

But comparing the black and white era to today is total apples and oranges. Champions are only going 12 rounds these days and fight 2 times a year with modern medicine and steroids to help them out.

As great as I think Floyd Mayweather is, for example, I don’t think his brittle little hands can fight 2-3x a month while also fighting the best and keep his flawless record.

I think he beats all of these black and white fighters under modern circumstances, but that’s my point, the game has changed so much.

It’s annoying to see people point out the flaws in old boxers when they’re not planning out these fights months in advanced and then look less than spectacular when some random happens to look good against them because some particular trait they didn’t train to neutralize.

Almost all the "physical specimens" you refer to are around 200lbs (give or take 10-15lbs). A fair comparison would be to modern CW like Usyk/Haye etc who are just as impressive. Besides which its a nonsense to claim modern HW are "slobs" - AJ/DDD/Povetkin/Klitschko all have great physiques and even the ones who are less ripped have excellent cardio/endurance. Looks aren't everything. Fury may not be shredded but he can dance around a ring for 12 rounds without gassing at 6ft9 and 280lbs. No-one from the "golden age" of boxing can match that.
The 80's was full of roids. Just as Pride had better "physical specimens" than the UFC - doesn't mean that the fighters are technically better (more fun to watch maybe). Sure Holmes was a great champion and there was some decent competition but nowhere near the depth of today.
The 90's had Tyson, Lewis and the Klitschkos - all of whom would have beaten Ali in their respective primes. From Lewis onwards Ali would be just too small for a HW. Same goes for Louis, Marciano etc. They would make excellent CWs however - which imho is the best all round weight class for humans in terms of balancing athleticism with size/power (not saying it has the best fighters necessarily).

Haye had no issue being an elite HW in Wlad's era and he was smaller than Ali (and nowhere near as good). Ali would be a smaller HW, but he'd still be dominant.

Ali is not sound. That is why everyone under the sun played rockem sockem with his head. Klitsckos use their height similarly to how Ali did with controlling range. Fury mucks all that up with being fast, smarter, and bigger. It is why Klitschko had. nothing for him. Fury makes everyone who fights him look like they are having a bad night with how he takes away from the other fighter. Wilder had nothing in the second fighter after his right was taken away.
Wlad didnt throw punches and Wilder only has 1-2. Absolutely laughable to compare them to Ali. And lets stop this bullshit pretending that Fury hasnt had the snot knocked out of him by guys who couldnt hold Ali’s jock strap.

He did.
Wilders power is in one shot.
Louis had power in all of his shots and had fantastic balance and a way to spring shots at you.
I think he was just talking about absolute 1-shot power. Of course, Louis is a far more skilled boxer than Wilder and a deadlier finisher.

I think he beats all of these black and white fighters under modern circumstances, but that’s my point, the game has changed so much.

It’s annoying to see people point out the flaws in old boxers when they’re not planning out these fights months in advanced and then look less than spectacular when some random happens to look good against them because some particular trait they didn’t train to neutralize.
Well, black and white era fighters transported into the modern era would have the benefit of advanced planning, etc., in a fair hypothetical scenario, wouldn't they?

Also, let's note that Robinson, in spite of the hellacious schedule he kept, was able to run his record up to 128-1-2. That's probably as good a sign as any that his star would burn bright in any era.

Last edited:
Well, black and white era fighters transported into the modern era would have the benefit of advanced planning, etc., in a fair hypothetical scenario, wouldn't they?

Also, let's note that guys like Robinson, in spite of the hellacious schedule he kept, was able to run his record up to 128-1-2. That's probably as good a sign as any that his star would burn bright in any era.
My point was that it’s easy to say that Sugar Ray Robinson was a flawed fighter because some nobody landed a few shots to his chin, because Ray was pushing forward and didn’t care about his defense, because he was fighting a nobody.

Meanwhile the modern fighter may not look so human, because he and his team are spending months analyzing footage, and shipping people from the other side of the country to be a sparring partner.

Ergo, some people look at black and white fighters and say “I’m not impressed” and truly believe that modern boxers are greater, when it’s apples and oranges.

It’s not about hypotheticals but about drawing simplistic conclusions based on the footage we have.

My point was that it’s easy to say that Sugar Ray Robinson was a flawed fighter because some nobody landed a few shots to his chin, because Ray was pushing forward and didn’t care about his defense, because he was fighting a nobody.

Meanwhile the modern fighter may not look so human, because he and his team are spending months analyzing footage, and shipping people from the other side of the country to be a sparring partner.

Ergo, some people look at black and white fighters and say “I’m not impressed” and truly believe that modern boxers are greater, when it’s apples and oranges.

It’s not about hypotheticals but about drawing simplistic conclusions based on the footage we have.
I take your point, but it also leads me to mention that really, Robinson also fought an insane level of competition. If someone thinks he is a fighting a "nobody", chances are that "nobody" had a sparkling record and was probably a bad-ass.

At heavyweight yes i agree.

Other weights below i doubt it. Boxing jas been a professional sport for over 100 years. Imagine guys like Joe Louis, rocky Marciano, Jersey Joe etc fighting in todays Cruiserweight division. They would be easily competitive if not champions!
Rocky marciano really would not be competitive at all.

He made some movements in the Rumble that were exquisite for a man in such a rusty priahed and physically disadvantaged position, he was just too subtle for some people to comprehend it seems

Most modern day boxers would beat guys from the past. Its like that with every sport.
I don't think modern day boxers are superior to guys from the 80s and 90s. Those older generations like the 60s and prior, those guys do seem like they are less sophisticated technically and less physical. They were definitely a lot tougher though, and probably had better endurance as well

Back