Leslie Smith dishes on the UFC's underhanded tactics - interview with Luke Thomas

You won't get a like for like case though, which is why it should go to court and be tested.

I'm pretty sure I saw Froome riding in non-sky colours on a random instagram pic just a month or so ago. ;)

What are we saying here then, UFC fighters have the same rights as tennis and cyclists? If not then what point the similarities if the outcome is different.
might have been training kit. they have a couple of all white, all blue training kits.

froome gonna froome

Yea... a fighter gets cut after refusing to fight an overweight opponent.

She also is pro-fighter-union.

The UFC does not renew her contract.

Sure it appears to be a blatant attack on fighters ability to secure better money for themselves...

BUT SHE HAS A VAGINA SO "HURR DURRR SHE SHOULD BE MAKING ME A CAKE."

might have been training kit. they have a couple of all white, all blue training kits.

froome gonna froome

It was black but without the SKY logo (could be blue though), he was being paced by a bike as well. The only reason i saw it was I ended up down a strava cheats hole thread somewhere and Froome popped up, it was right after his adverse finding.

Yeah was being slightly teasing with that one, the exception isn't the rule.

Yea... a fighter gets cut after refusing to fight an over weight opponent.

Sure it appears to be a blatant attack on fighters ability to secure better money for themselves...

She wasn't even cut.

I don't like it that she took 62k not to fight, rather than risk getting only 40k if she lost. She was a fighter and should have been in it to win it. If she won she would have gotten all the marbles - Her show fee, her win fee, 20% of Ladd's purse plus the extra 5k Ladd offered. Plus a much needed W in her record.

Even without her union activities pissing off the management, she should have been cut for that shit. How many other fighters just take the cash for doing fuck all when their opponent comes in heavy? But there was a way for the fight to go ahead. Has it ever happened before?

Also UFC paid for her to have cancer surgery, she didn't mention any of that when she was claiming she was the abused victim of their harsh policies.

Also pay for your own fucking luggage.

Leslie comes across as the type of woman who no matter what's done for her she will never be satisfied and always feel entitled to more and ready to play the victim.

I hope invicta passes on her too.

This guy nailed it.

Most of these WMMA fighters are stealing a living anyway as they are not any good, no one wants to watch them and they are only there for political reasons. Lets not sugar coat it.
Not exactly. The talent pool just isn't there yet. If the top fighters are shitty, they're still top fighters regardless

As I've stated before, I've matched Aspen Ladd when she was at the end of her ammy career. She's used this excuse often and it was silly for her to use it again... as if other women don't deal with this same issue all the time.

The UFC was underhanded for sure. Leslie Smith is not "easy to deal with", but that's also called standing up for yourself. This is a woman that fought Cyborg when nobody would. She'll fight her ass off if you respect her... and the UFC just doesn't.

Two fights back.. When she was Knockedout by Cyborg? Or the Aldana fight
The Aldana fight was the FOTN.
And in considering her loss to Cyborg, weight should be given to the fact that Smith was not fighting within her division

If you are a pro, then it is a profession. By definition. And then it is your "job".

no

professional sport means you get paid to do it as opposed to amateurs who dont

in most instances it will be "main source of income" but that does not make it your "job"

love how you ignored everything else i said..

no

professional sport means you get paid to do it as opposed to amateurs who dont

in most instances it will be "main source of income" but that does not make it your "job"

love how you ignored everything else i said..
Duder, wtf are you talking about? It's a job. It's a shit-paying job. But I've never told a part-time employee at McDonalds "this isn't a job", so wtf are you talking about?

Then go to the NLRB and change it. Until that moment they are a IC and should be treated as such. She is free to do anything she wants, non combat sports, so she has zero employment restrictions outside that. A good layer would argue that and win easily based upon the money they put into fighters and the fact that dangerous sports can make that money null and void. If you have put a few thousand into prep work for a project but your contractor calls in hurt due to him/her doing a dangerous activity, after you signed a contract with them then you have a right to recoup all that money spent prior. Advertising and promotion is the same concept. The "uniform" is a sketchy one but they can always argue that it is performance and safety related. The uniform is also a sketchy one because the fighters actually have zero right to advertising for anyone on a UFC broadcast as they do not own the distribution methods or the content. The fact that they used to be able to make free money using the UFC's content (ie the fights) was a favor, not a right.
You are not getting it at all. They are not treated as IC. They are treated as employees. There for they are employees. UFC can not have their cake and eat it to. They do not get to treat them like employees but consider them IC. They are unfairly taking advantage of these human beings. You do not get to recoup any of the advertising money from the fighters if they get hurt. The fighters did not say spend money on advertising. If the fighters had say on the advertiser maybe just like a contractor would have say on how to prep your job. Which by the way you can get another contractor to finish the job so you cost on prep work would not be wasted. Also UFC can get insurance on advertising. Sports and regular jobs are very different because of the requirements. You can not compare a construction worker to a sports athlete. You can try but I will shoot down every point you try to make by comparing them. It is easy and fun. I work very close to the law and similar issues that you are trying to stretch to compare. It truthfully seems like you are trying to argue for the sake of arguing.

The Aldana fight was the FOTN.
And in considering her loss to Cyborg, weight should be given to the fact that Smith was not fighting within her division

she also went on social media, accused the ufc of acting like an abusive husband, slagged them off at every opportunity, and then turned down a fight over less than 2lbs which ultimately cost paying fans a fight.

i appreciate you support the women in teh sport, i do to, i watch more wmma than i do mma most of the time, but you are letting that effect how you view this situation.

but in this instance, leslie has nobody but herself to blame. she created this situation and is now trying to play like shes some sort of martyr. she isnt.

she was all over social media slagging off the ufc
comparing them to abusive husbands, deliberately being in her words "confrontational"
when Aspen missed weight she then had a go at aspen and their in her own words "tried to take advantage of the situation"
refused to fight unless she was given a new contract

the ufc did what any employer or contractor would do in that situation. paid her and said bye bye

You are not getting it at all. They are not treated as IC. They are treated as employees. .

no. they arent.

are they expected to turn up to work every day from 9 till 5
do the ufc make them all move to vegas and attend ufc hq every day?
are they expected to work for the ufc 50 weeks a year with 2 weeks holiday?

You are not getting it at all. They are not treated as IC. They are treated as employees. There for they are employees. UFC can not have their cake and eat it to. They do not get to treat them like employees but consider them IC. They are unfairly taking advantage of these human beings. You do not get to recoup any of the advertising money from the fighters if they get hurt. The fighters did not say spend money on advertising. If the fighters had say on the advertiser maybe just like a contractor would have say on how to prep your job. Which by the way you can get another contractor to finish the job so you cost on prep work would not be wasted. Also UFC can get insurance on advertising. Sports and regular jobs are very different because of the requirements. You can not compare a construction worker to a sports athlete. You can try but I will shoot down every point you try to make by comparing them. It is easy and fun. I work very close to the law and similar issues that you are trying to stretch to compare. It truthfully seems like you are trying to argue for the sake of arguing.
Then they should be able to go to the NLRB and get this solved in 30 minutes. Otherwise they are a IC and will stay that way. They are not anywhere near treated like a employee as Dimspace pointed out above.

no. they arent.

are they expected to turn up to work every day from 9 till 5
do the ufc make them all move to vegas and attend ufc hq every day?
are they expected to work for the ufc 50 weeks a year with 2 weeks holiday?
no, Sports is different than a 9-5 union job.
They are obligated to media and fighting.
They have uniform requirements.
They can not preform their job for any other entity besides the UFC
They are treated like employees. But are not given benefits of one.

Yea... a fighter gets cut after refusing to fight an overweight opponent.

Or we think that she should have fought a fighter who was only 1.8 lbs overweight. If she did, she probably wouldn't be out of a job right now.

Then they should be able to go to the NLRB and get this solved in 30 minutes. Otherwise they are a IC and will stay that way. They are not anywhere near treated like a employee as Dimspace pointed out above.
You have no clue how this works. The UFC will not give them employee status. The fighters must unionize first to be treated fairly. To do so they need 30% of the fighters on board. The fighters are in fear of signing there name because the UFC will fire them if they find out. Once they have 30% then they can go to the NLRB and then it still has to be scheduled. It is a very delicate and scary issue for the fighters. It is not as easy as going to the NLRB snd solving this in 30 mins. Again, highly skilled sports athletes and regular unskilled union jobs are like comparing a $2 ice cream cone to a $150 Kobe beef steak from Japan. Please tell me how old you are so I can stop arguing with children.

Back