Leglock counter from kneebar defense?

EndlessCritic

Titanium Belt
@Titanium
Reaction score
The standard initial kneebar defense is to just figure four your legs so that the leg being attacked is underneath. It's far from foolproof but it can buy you a couple of important seconds.

I was once shown a counter to the figure 4 where you can somehow turn it into a completely different leglock. I don't remember if it attacked the foot or if it was a calf slicer to be completely honest, as I was shown the technique when I was a very new blue 4 years ago, and didn't know fuck all about leglocks.

Anyone have a clue what I'm talking about?

I believe that counter you're referring to has you attacking their other leg with a toehold when they figure four their legs. Sound right?

Like this:

Last edited:
There are so many options from that defence, it's ridiculous.

YouTube marcelo brigadeiro. He's a ll black belt from rft and there's a video of a seminar where he shows a wicked crush from that spot. I have landed it a few times.

YouTube marcelo brigadeiro. He's a ll black belt from rft and there's a video of a seminar where he shows a wicked crush from that spot. I have landed it a few times.

Knee slicer. They're figure-4ing their knee for you.

Believe it or not you can hit the Indian shin lock to counter that defense and it is fricking rad. Only setup for that leglock that is reasonably high percentage.

Believe it or not you can hit the Indian shin lock to counter that defense and it is fricking rad. Only setup for that leglock that is reasonably high percentage.
:icon_lol:

Now that you've said that, I can see it!

I know what I'm going for over and over next practice.

Yeah you just have to hook the shin with your foot, and then stand up and turn in towards your opponent, using your hands to keep your opponent's hips on the ground. It's chock full of comedy. A lot of people know this move as a circus submission against the lock-down, but it is very low percentage in that capacity. As a counter to the figure 4 kneebar defense, however, it actually works pretty well, and you will feel like a hero when you pull it off.

Your opponent will drown in an ocean of shame.

Yeah you just have to hook the shin with your foot, and then stand up and turn in towards your opponent, using your hands to keep your opponent's hips on the ground. It's chock full of comedy. A lot of people know this move as a circus submission against the lock-down, but it is very low percentage in that capacity. As a counter to the figure 4 kneebar defense, however, it actually works pretty well, and you will feel like a hero when you pull it off.

Your opponent will drown in an ocean of shame.
Must... try this...

This is the one I was referring to....good times :)

This is the one I was referring to....good times :)
Thanks for posting this. This might have been it, although I can imagine you can hurt your arm doing this... I'll have to try.

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread however I do have a vague memory of another kind of counter. As I'm not sure what it's caled I can't find a video.

But essentially it involved using your foot to hook onto the shin of the leg that is protecting the other one. You then stand up, I think it was a kind of crush, reminded me of the indian deathlock in pro wrestling terminology. Hoping someone has a name/video for this.

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread however I do have a vague memory of another kind of counter. As I'm not sure what it's caled I can't find a video.

But essentially it involved using your foot to hook onto the shin of the leg that is protecting the other one. You then stand up, I think it was a kind of crush, reminded me of the indian deathlock in pro wrestling terminology. Hoping someone has a name/video for this.
That’s exactly what Zankou was talking about in the posts above.

Back