Legkick gameplan vs light legged fighters

MCDojoMMA

You are weak
@Blue
Reaction score
The question is simple: do you think a legkick heavy gameplan will work against a Jones/Usman build fighter? And tell me why

upload_2020-8-9_12-29-30.png

No leg kicks, Masvidal like a rookie starts throwing leg kicks from the start, I am like WTF, this is not a vet!!!!!.

I was surprised that no one brang up the fact of how many kicks Masvidal was throwing, really awful move against a guy like Usman, he was just waiting and waiting for a kick so he could either shoot or grab him. Masvidals hands are good enough, he should have gone with the good ole hand game.

So no I don't think leg kicks would work on Usman at all, he would just shoot straight away or try to grab you. Jones wrestles a lot less, he is 90% standup, but he is a good wrestler and can take you down.

No leg kicks, Masvidal like a rookie starts throwing leg kicks from the start, I am like WTF, this is not a vet!!!!!.

I was surprised that no one brang up the fact of how many kicks Masvidal was throwing, really awful move against a guy like Usman, he was just waiting and waiting for a kick so he could either shoot or grab him. Masvidals hands are good enough, he should have gone with the good ole hand game.

So no I don't think leg kicks would work on Usman at all, he would just shoot straight away or try to grab you. Jones wrestles a lot less, he is 90% standup, but he is a good wrestler and can take you down.
Tbf Masvidal has god tier TDD and scrambles so he was in no real danger otherwise throwing them. They helped set up some combos that broke his nose so they did something. Usman just smothered him afterwards

people been saying that for years, leg kick jones... like Jones never prepared for leg kicks

You want to throw leg kicks at Usman? Good luck. You're going to end up on your ass.
depends how you throw them calf kicks are harder to catch same with knee stomps. the ones to the inside and outside of the thigh are easier to catch.

as long as you don't telegraph it too much you can land leg kicks on even the best of wrestlers.

Problem is, Leg kicking well is an art. All fighters can throw leg kicks, but few throw them with serious intent to hurt or disable their opponent, just to score points. (volknovski for example). but fighters like gaethje and barboza put their opponents on a clock so to speak. you can't take too many before they hinder you. I can't really think of a WW or LHW that have very effective Leg kicks. It seems to be a LW and down thing.

Look what Santo's did to jon. He walked out on his own despite blowing out his knee. Jon was carried out from the damage that Santos inflicted on him with leg kicks.

And yes it can work on Snoozeman you just need to throw it in combination and use feints or throw high, fast and hard 2-3 times then go low. Just tossing out there is a recipe to get it caught and potentially taken down.

depends how you throw them calf kicks are harder to catch same with knee stomps. the ones to the inside and outside of the thigh are easier to catch.

as long as you don't telegraph it too much you can land leg kicks on even the best of wrestlers.

Problem is, Leg kicking well is an art. All fighters can throw leg kicks, but few throw them with serious intent to hurt or disable their opponent, just to score points. (volknovski for example). but fighters like gaethje and barboza put their opponents on a clock so to speak. you can't take too many before they hinder you. I can't really think of a WW or LHW that have very effective Leg kicks. It seems to be a LW and down thing.

Lima is probably the best low kicker at WW but he's in Bellator and he's retired now but Arona was the best low kicker at 205.

Lima is probably the best low kicker at WW but he's in Bellator and he's retired now but Arona was the best low kicker at 205.
yeah good catch. Forgot about lima. but who is a known low kicker at LHW these days? I feel like Thiago santos would do well at it if he wanted.

agree. im ok with body kicks and some leg kicks. but mas got his first kick almost caught, then the second one did get caught. i was like
Facepalm-475x402.png

Leg kicks are good weapons in general if you’re not just randomly throwing them.

TS’ question seems to ask if they’re more effective against chicken leg fighters. The answer is mostly no.

Here’s a MT legend with skinny legs:

upload_2020-8-9_12-48-24.jpeg

The effectiveness of leg kicks mostly depends on how good the opponent is at checking kicks, and how much weight their stance places on their front leg.

Aren’t Usman’s knees completely worn out as this point? Someone should throw some oblique kicks at his knees.

If Masvidal wanted to kick he should have periodically thrown high kicks. Probably some feinted kicks too to set up punches.

Back