Legitimate wrestling question

Dirty Deeds

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Is anybody else turned off by the latest freestyle rules. I honestly believe that the coin toss decides the match, when 2 evenly matched wrestlers compete. Plus, a minute is not very much time to work an offense against a very good wrestler.

I greatly preferred the single 5 minute period, then 3 minute OT, if there had not been 3 total points scored. I think there should have been more passivity penalties to prevent stalling. The other thing I would have changed, from that era, was eliminating judges. I think sudden victory overtime allows the best athlete to win.

FILA is ruining the sport of wrestling. I have no idea why they are still the governing body of freestyle and greco.

I would like to see wrestling go to all 5 minute periods, at least collegiate and above. Or 5-3-3. The 3-2-2 just is not enough with high level guys. High school varisty should be 3-2-2. I know would hurt the heavies but I wrestled 133 in college and I am a slow starter. I would have loved longer periods. I always performed much better at tournys and dual meets.

And FILA is the bcs of wrestling.

I would like to see wrestling go to all 5 minute periods, at least collegiate and above. Or 5-3-3. The 3-2-2 just is not enough with high level guys. High school varisty should be 3-2-2. I know would hurt the heavies but I wrestled 133 in college and I am a slow starter. I would have loved longer periods. I always performed much better at tournys and dual meets.

And FILA is the bcs of wrestling.

I like your like you line of thought, but was referring to freestyle exclusively. I think 3-2-2 is just fine for college, especially considering the number of matches during "tournament season". I wrestled up at heavyweight semi-regularly, and don't see body weight as a legitimate excuse for lack of conditioning. I think lack of conditioning is lazyness, considering there are not injuries or other legitimate medical conditions. I was actually a pretty big fan of Tolly Thompson, years ago, because his technique and attacks were identical to smaller guys'.

If you were more noticeably a slow starter, in college, I think that plays into my previous statement that one minute is not enough time to work an offense against a very good wrestler.

Yeah one minute is just crazy. I have not followed the rule changes since college. I do a few open tournys locally now.

Did they say why they went to the one minute?

Yeah one minute is just crazy. I have not followed the rule changes since college. I do a few open tournys locally now.

Did they say why they went to the one minute?

It's not one minute for the entire period, if there are no points scored in the first minute of each period, there is a coin toss to decide who gets to start with a deep single. After 30 more seconds the other guy gets the deep single. Whoever scored last in an period wins if the score is tied. I haven't watched since the 2008 Olympic Trials, because it was very uninteresting to me.

Back