Legend! Fabio Gurgel at Roger Gracie's

ShanghaiBJJ

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Sorry, no vid of their roll, but here is a story about them both giving Ricardo Lewandowski his Blackbelt and a vid of the ceremony.

Were you there Olli, or anyone else?

Fabio is one of the all-time greats, especially as a teacher. I have had the pleasure to roll with him and learn from him at seminars.

Would have loved to see the roll, not out of interest of who 'wins', but to enjoy the matchup...

Article: Graciemag International Exclusive: Roger and Gurgel train together

This is so cool. It must be such an honor to be belted by both Fabio and Roger.

I was there, yup. Am just off camera to the right at the beginning, far right of the front line. No sign of me, though. Wah. ^_^

And yes, Fabio and Roger did roll, if anyone's wondering. I didn't watch though. Too busy training. ^_-

Take care,

Oli

How would you guys describe Fabio Gurgel's style? Marcelo who is obviously considered his best student ever plays a game that seems nothing like Gurgel's.

How would you guys describe Fabio Gurgel's style? Marcelo who is obviously considered his best student ever plays a game that seems nothing like Gurgel's.

That's the atribuite that makes a great coach, he can look at a student and teach him techniques that suit his game.

That's the atribuite that makes a great coach, he can look at a student and teach him techniques that suit his game.

Yeah, I always consider Fabio to be more "crushing." Hard to make Marcelo into a "crusher" when he's just so damn fluid.

Or at the least, not force his style on his students. Teaching the students the techniques that allow them to have their own style, rather than yours.

The last time Fabio came to Marcelo’s school here in Florida I had a bad cold and could not train. But I was there watching. Fabio and Henrique trained for an extended time, and I think the adjectives that best describe Fabio that I saw are meticulous, patient, smooth and extremely technical.

Also, to piggyback on kemirense’s answer…after training a few of the students were talking and asking questions. Fabio talked about the nuances of some of his fighters such as Cobrinha, Tarsis and Marcelo, their strengths, how they attack, things like that, and how they continue to evolve.

The most bad-ass thing about that article (other than Fabio and Roger together obviously) is we get a glimpse of Roger playing open guard. So weird for me to see him in a butterfly position. I've always heard he's just at good at every guard as he is at closed. Crazy.

The most bad-ass thing about that article (other than Fabio and Roger together obviously) is we get a glimpse of Roger playing open guard. So weird for me to see him in a butterfly position. I've always heard he's just at good at every guard as he is at closed. Crazy.

Graciemag International Exclusive: Roger and Gurgel train together

photo1.jpg

photo2.jpg

Sorry, but I read the article and saw the pics, that was what I was referring to in my post. Unless you're trying to state something else?

Yeah, I always consider Fabio to be more "crushing."

After Mundials this year Fabio spent a few days in Atlanta to hang out and participate in Jacare's 7th dan promotion. He rolled with some of the higher level students and they basically all said his pressure is like semi-trailer parked on top of you.

Sorry, but I read the article and saw the pics, that was what I was referring to in my post. Unless you're trying to state something else?

i just did that so that people knew what pictures you were talking about.

Man, I would have loved to have seen and learned from that training session.

Fabio' style to me is a perfect blend of pressure and technique. He doesn't put pressure by musceling you, but rather through the perfect use of his weight and anchors.

I think that was the thing I got from rolling with him. He doesn't take a wrong grip (at least not against me, or anyone I have seen him roll with at the academy) and every movement and adjustement he makes is with intent and purpose.

He stated (in a Graciemag article on passing the guard) that he tries to rest, while his opponent is in an uncomfortable spot. I noticed he tripods a lot when passing, once he has locked your hips down. He rests, while you fight for your breath.

It kinda felt like quicksand rolling with him, everytime you move, you end up in a worse spot than before, and he anchors it. Until he choses to end it, by which time, you are mostly begging him to please take an arm or your neck, just to get the bloody pressure off.

Very technical, but relentless pressure when he steps it up a little...

Fabio' style to me is a perfect blend of pressure and technique. He doesn't put pressure by musceling you, but rather through the perfect use of his weight and anchors.

I think that was the thing I got from rolling with him. He doesn't take a wrong grip (at least not against me, or anyone I have seen him roll with at the academy) and every movement and adjustement he makes is with intent and purpose.

He stated (in a Graciemag article on passing the guard) that he tries to rest, while his opponent is in an uncomfortable spot. I noticed he tripods a lot when passing, once he has locked your hips down. He rests, while you fight for your breath.

It kinda felt like quicksand rolling with him, everytime you move, you end up in a worse spot than before, and he anchors it. Until he choses to end it, by which time, you are mostly begging him to please take an arm or your neck, just to get the bloody pressure off.

Very technical, but relentless pressure when he steps it up a little...

Hi,

I was just curious about what you said about him tripodding a lot and locking the hips down when he passes. Would you mind describing that a bit? Like what kinds of grips he was using, where his pressure was, etc....If you would prefer not to, I will of course understand. Thanks!

There was an awesome video posted here a few weeks ago of some vintage footage of Gurgel rolling. His style is definitely bad ass. It seems pretty basic to me, similar to Roger's game, but that was the only time I have ever seen Gurgel roll.

Thanks for the description ShanghaiBJJ. Very cool.

There was an awesome video posted here a few weeks ago of some vintage footage of Gurgel rolling. His style is definitely bad ass. It seems pretty basic to me, similar to Roger's game, but that was the only time I have ever seen Gurgel roll.

Thanks for the description ShanghaiBJJ. Very cool.

Fabio and Marcelo 2 years ago

Fabio and leo Viera back in the day

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back