Legend! Fabio Gurgel at Roger Gracie's

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by ShanghaiBJJ, Aug 4, 2010.

1. ShanghaiBJJ

ShanghaiBJJ Brown Belt

Sorry, no vid of their roll, but here is a story about them both giving Ricardo Lewandowski his Blackbelt and a vid of the ceremony.

Were you there Olli, or anyone else?

Fabio is one of the all-time greats, especially as a teacher. I have had the pleasure to roll with him and learn from him at seminars.

Would have loved to see the roll, not out of interest of who 'wins', but to enjoy the matchup...

Article: Graciemag International Exclusive: Roger and Gurgel train together

2. Chalito

Chalito Purple Belt

This is so cool. It must be such an honor to be belted by both Fabio and Roger.

3. Oliver Geddes

Oliver Geddes Amateur Fighter

I was there, yup. Am just off camera to the right at the beginning, far right of the front line. No sign of me, though. Wah. ^_^

And yes, Fabio and Roger did roll, if anyone's wondering. I didn't watch though. Too busy training. ^_-

Take care,

Oli

4. SheerTechnique

SheerTechnique Blue Belt

That is an awesome honor. Thanks for the post!

5. Solidus Snake

Solidus Snake Purple Belt

Daaamn, I would pay to see Roger and Fabio roll...

6. Oak

Oak 栄誉

How would you guys describe Fabio Gurgel's style? Marcelo who is obviously considered his best student ever plays a game that seems nothing like Gurgel's.

7. kimurense

kimurense Brown Belt

That's the atribuite that makes a great coach, he can look at a student and teach him techniques that suit his game.

8. Ninjamurf

Ninjamurf Handing out lollipops for over 3 decades

Yeah, I always consider Fabio to be more "crushing." Hard to make Marcelo into a "crusher" when he's just so damn fluid.

9. SuperSuperRambo

SuperSuperRambo Senior Moderator Senior Moderator

Or at the least, not force his style on his students. Teaching the students the techniques that allow them to have their own style, rather than yours.

10. s4ca

s4ca Yellow Belt

The last time Fabio came to Marcelo’s school here in Florida I had a bad cold and could not train. But I was there watching. Fabio and Henrique trained for an extended time, and I think the adjectives that best describe Fabio that I saw are meticulous, patient, smooth and extremely technical.

Also, to piggyback on kemirense’s answer…after training a few of the students were talking and asking questions. Fabio talked about the nuances of some of his fighters such as Cobrinha, Tarsis and Marcelo, their strengths, how they attack, things like that, and how they continue to evolve.

11. Galahad

Galahad Orange Belt

The most bad-ass thing about that article (other than Fabio and Roger together obviously) is we get a glimpse of Roger playing open guard. So weird for me to see him in a butterfly position. I've always heard he's just at good at every guard as he is at closed. Crazy.

12. MrBen

MrBen Orange Belt

Graciemag International Exclusive: Roger and Gurgel train together

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Galahad

Galahad Orange Belt

Sorry, but I read the article and saw the pics, that was what I was referring to in my post. Unless you're trying to state something else?

14. EGDM

EGDM Green Belt

After Mundials this year Fabio spent a few days in Atlanta to hang out and participate in Jacare's 7th dan promotion. He rolled with some of the higher level students and they basically all said his pressure is like semi-trailer parked on top of you.

15. MrBen

MrBen Orange Belt

i just did that so that people knew what pictures you were talking about.

16. Sloth

Sloth Brown Belt

Man, I would have loved to have seen and learned from that training session.

17. ShanghaiBJJ

ShanghaiBJJ Brown Belt

Fabio' style to me is a perfect blend of pressure and technique. He doesn't put pressure by musceling you, but rather through the perfect use of his weight and anchors.

I think that was the thing I got from rolling with him. He doesn't take a wrong grip (at least not against me, or anyone I have seen him roll with at the academy) and every movement and adjustement he makes is with intent and purpose.

He stated (in a Graciemag article on passing the guard) that he tries to rest, while his opponent is in an uncomfortable spot. I noticed he tripods a lot when passing, once he has locked your hips down. He rests, while you fight for your breath.

It kinda felt like quicksand rolling with him, everytime you move, you end up in a worse spot than before, and he anchors it. Until he choses to end it, by which time, you are mostly begging him to please take an arm or your neck, just to get the bloody pressure off.

Very technical, but relentless pressure when he steps it up a little...

18. Sloth

Sloth Brown Belt

Hi,

I was just curious about what you said about him tripodding a lot and locking the hips down when he passes. Would you mind describing that a bit? Like what kinds of grips he was using, where his pressure was, etc....If you would prefer not to, I will of course understand. Thanks!

19. Oak

Oak 栄誉

There was an awesome video posted here a few weeks ago of some vintage footage of Gurgel rolling. His style is definitely bad ass. It seems pretty basic to me, similar to Roger's game, but that was the only time I have ever seen Gurgel roll.

Thanks for the description ShanghaiBJJ. Very cool.

20. ShanghaiBJJ

ShanghaiBJJ Brown Belt

Fabio and Marcelo 2 years ago

Fabio and leo Viera back in the day