• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Legalizing groin strikes would improve the overall safety of MMA.

Everyone would go for groin strikes. There is a reason they are illegal. It's an overpowered move.
truth is, no one is going to be KOed by a groin strike, it's up to you to go through the pain and keep fighting or not. Unlike a shot to the chin or sometimes a liver shot that actually stops you from continuing even if you want. However, groin shots could cause life changing damage very easily, so yeah it's a stupid idea. Unless you want to see fighters careers ending after 2 or 3 fights.

I think OP has a fetish for watching people get kicked in the nuts

image.jpg

Wow talk about being a moron. Strikes to groin would not only end fights quickly but could cause irreparable damage from a single strike. Rupture a testicle, tear the erectile tissue, damage the urethra. No way in hell should this ever be legal.

I played sports in High School. I've felt like I was going to die getting hit in the nuts with a cup on. I can only imagine what it would be like taking a kick there with no cup. I may have actually died.

I appreciate the humor. If it's humor? I'm tired. I need coffee, lol.
I've never been kicked full force/flush in the balls, nor have i experienced a full force and flush liver shot, but i've been told it feels about the same.

Others said that even with a cup, it's likely that we'd have regular injuries if groin kicks were allowed, so i am not in favor of it.
If that (the injuries) wasn't the case though, then i don't see one why couldn't think about implementing it. It'd just be another liver-like target and also make the sport more realistic.

@Ares Black I'm not sure if fighters couldn't learn to defend it in some way, though apparently it's too riskful regarding injuries anyways, so i'm not advocating for it, lol.

cups have literally been broken by kicks.
you honestly think your beans are just protected by the goat defender with a cup?
id bet big money on ruptured testicles even with a cup on. guarantee there have been a few beans busted in sports with cups being worn
Fair enough.

Exactly! I know it's considered cheap, but if it's proven to be relatively safe, then it would improve safety. I think no matter what it's safer than suffering a major concussion.
According to some guys here, it would indeed result in injuries...
If that wasn't the case/if there were better cups minimizing that risk to a tiny, tiny bit, then i would at least love to see how it influences fighting.

I've never been kicked full force/flush in the balls, nor have i experienced a full force and flush liver shot, but i've been told it feels about the same.

Others said that even with a cup, it's likely that we'd have regular injuries if groin kicks were allowed, so i am not in favor of it.
If that (the injuries) wasn't the case though, then i don't see one why couldn't think about implementing it. It'd just be another liver-like target and also make the sport more realistic.

@Ares Black I'm not sure if fighters couldn't learn to defend it in some way, though apparently it's too riskful regarding injuries anyways, so i'm not advocating for it, lol.
I just have no interest in watching a sport where groin strikes are legal.

I just have no interest in watching a sport where groin strikes are legal.
That is fair. I too, love MMA as it is. I would be interested seeing though, what MMA would look like/how fighters would adapt to groin strikes being allowed though, provided they get some fight experience and time to deal with and think about it.

I guess the fighters stances could become more squared and narrow, similar to a Thai stance, but i really don't know, lol.

Cup Check Kongo figured this out years ago.

Sounds ridiculous at first, but consider this:

If it's proven that - when wearing a cup - our balls won't take damage from a groin strike they can't recover from, then it really is no different than a liver shot and i don't see why it should not be implied into MMA.
Good argument but then every division champ would just be the lankiest fighter spamming groing kicks

Good argument but then every division champ would just be the lankiest fighter spamming groing kicks
Considering an additional striking target, fighters who're lanky would indeed increasingly experience success.

But i don't think it'd immediately creature such a high pressure that it would lead to MMA consisting of lanklets only, lol.

If it did though, it would mean that in a "real" fight, having the reach advantage would be huge.

This will not happen any time soon, and I'm not even advocating that it should happen since I believe it would turn a lot of people way from the sport.

That being said, legalizing groin strikes would considerably improve fighter safety. I know it sounds counter intuitive, but if groin strikes were legal, there would be another way to KO/TKO opponents without causing CTE. CTE is the biggest danger to fighters well being. Groin strikes hurt, but rarely cause permanent damage. Getting KOed or TKOed is much worse for your brain. Having five round wars where your chin keeps you in the fight is also worse for your brain even if you don't get finished. Legal groin strikes would increase the frequency of finishes without jeporidizing fighter safety.

Frequently finishing by blows to the groin would improve the fighters overall health. I know most of Sherdog would disagree, but if you are not in favor of fighters going after the groin, you are against the one thing that would both increase finishes and improve fighter wellbeing.

If you disagree, show me the long term study that shows concussive and substained sub-concussive blows are less harmful than blows to the groin.

Blows to the groin are the safer option, but it would take a major cultural shift before groin strikes would be legal. People are going to argue that groin strikes are cheap because it is a vulnerable area, but so is the chin/liver/calf and pretty much everywhere else that fighters target.
plus it may prevent fighters from reproducing and passing on their addiction and mental health issues

I played sports in High School. I've felt like I was going to die getting hit in the nuts with a cup on. I can only imagine what it would be like taking a kick there with no cup. I may have actually died.

I appreciate the humor. If it's humor? I'm tired. I need coffee, lol.
i remember playing baseball we were required to a certain age, then infielders were still required and catchers alays required. the same guys wouldn't wear a cup playing basketball and every so often there was surely a nutshot.

what amazes me is major league third basemen who do not wear one or NFL players

Back