Leg Kick Injury/Working with injuries

FionMacCumhail

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I was doing some 'light sparring' at my gym yesterday and the guy who I was paired up with hit me with a really hard leg kick. I've never taken a leg kick before that was thrown with bad intentions so it hurt like hell. I thought it was a serious injury at first but when the class ended, the sharp throbbing turned into a mild but constant pain.

Today, it hurts a little more than yesterday, especially when I put pressure on it. I did try to shadow box a little bit and I was okay with it but I was wondering if I should skip the gym tonight or if I should just fight through it? I would much rather go to the gym though.

Also, any tips on working with injuries?

Thanks in advance.

Hey guys,

I was doing some 'light sparring' at my gym yesterday and the guy who I was paired up with hit me with a really hard leg kick. I've never taken a leg kick before that was thrown with bad intentions so it hurt like hell. I thought it was a serious injury at first but when the class ended, the sharp throbbing turned into a mild but constant pain.

Today, it hurts a little more than yesterday, especially when I put pressure on it. I did try to shadow box a little bit and I was okay with it but I was wondering if I should skip the gym tonight or if I should just fight through it? I would much rather go to the gym though.

Also, any tips on working with injuries?

Thanks in advance.

Its not really about what you rather do or do not tho. If you go you wont be able to do correct punches/kicks which will lead to bad habits. Lemme give you the best tip against injuries, REST! Going to the GYM with injured leg wont impress anyone and certainly wont impress yourself with it, it is totally useless to go today. Just rest, do RICE rehab for like..1 day lol, and it should be fine tomorrow.

Well the thing is, I can still move around and punch and kick. My form is fine. But it feels like if I take a kick to my back leg again, its gonna hurt a lot. It didn't swell or anything because I put ice on it yesterday. Maybe I should just avoid sparring for tonight?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not dismissing your advice. I just want to make sure people know how I'm feeling.

I'm not a doctor, but the best advice I can give you -- based on experience -- is to rest. If you want to apply some heat, take some NSAIDs and massage the area, although it may be painful, it should help a bit. I use a massage stick for muscle injuries.

Wow..dont go to the gym because you took a leg kick?? Shame on some of you.

Sorry dude..taking too many leg kicks is a part of early stages of MT. You might not be training muay thai, but its part of that art. If your partner kicked 90% instead of 50-60% i am sorry but you cant not show up based on that. Get a foam roller and roll out the muscles on that side over and over. Its gonna hurt like hell but it will help you recover faster. Also, a little bit of thai oil before class

Keep training dude.. and take less leg kicks :)

Sorry dude..taking too many leg kicks is a part of early stages of MT. You might not be training muay thai, but its part of that art. If your partner kicked 90% instead of 50-60% i am sorry but you cant not show up based on that. Get a foam roller and roll out the muscles on that side over and over. Its gonna hurt like hell but it will help you recover faster. Also, a little bit of thai oil before class

I think your right. I just need to suck it up and go back.

So..what if he took another leg kick, that that kick was like, first minute of the session, he would have to suck it up for the rest of the class? with bad technique. I went to the gym before was toren rotator cuffs, fractured patela, and i survived the whole class too, but i didnt fight in my own style cuz i couldnt, its not about shame really. You gotta play smart.

Back