left uppercut

moodymikey

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I dont know if anyone else has this problem, but no matter how hard i try i cant get the left upper cut off (from an orthodox stance). i have my right uppercut fine, its powerful and looks correct. but hte left uppercut has no power and whenever itry to go for power over technique i leave my entire left side open.

anyone got advice for that strike?

This may not be great advice...but I bend a little to the side before throwing it...Frankly, I haven't used this much in MT sparring...only in boxing sparring and it is normally to the body after a cross (which kind of puts you in that position)..

Yea..I would say get low with your elbow close to your body..picture your uppercut really digging into someones body and put your hips and shoulders behind it..uppercuts are a power punch cause usually your entire body is behind it

moodymikey said:
I dont know if anyone else has this problem, but no matter how hard i try i cant get the left upper cut off (from an orthodox stance). i have my right uppercut fine, its powerful and looks correct. but hte left uppercut has no power and whenever itry to go for power over technique i leave my entire left side open.

You can't be too square when performing the lead foot uppercut. In order to get your body into this punch you have to be slightly sideways, so you can use your legs. Watch boxers do it, and you will see what I mean.

moodymikey said:

you have to "open up" and square urself up. just step w/ ur right leg foward so your feet are approximately 3 o clock/9 o clock position, and left body hooks or uppercuts may be stronger and easier. you have to make this squaring up discreet.

I learned this maybe a month ago b/c i had trouble uppercutting on this uppercut bag mounted on the wall--you can't hit it unless b/c of the weird angle-- and my coach told me to step to uppercut or hook the punch. It's a good punch, especially b/c hooks w/ ur lead hand are usually stronger than your rear hand. also b/c if u're right handed, the liver is a good target for that strong lead hook/uppercut.

good advice so far, and also, dont forget to use your leg drive in your uppercut. Theres no other punch where leg drive matters as much, so if you want a hard uppercut, make sure your legs are a bit bend, and explode upwards as you punch.

BlackBeltNow said:
you have to "open up" and square urself up. just step w/ ur right leg foward so your feet are approximately 3 o clock/9 o clock position, and left body hooks or uppercuts may be stronger and easier. you have to make this squaring up discreet.

I learned this maybe a month ago b/c i had trouble uppercutting on this uppercut bag mounted on the wall--you can't hit it unless b/c of the weird angle-- and my coach told me to step to uppercut or hook the punch. It's a good punch, especially b/c hooks w/ ur lead hand are usually stronger than your rear hand. also b/c if u're right handed, the liver is a good target for that strong lead hook/uppercut.

I usually bob to the left before throwing a lead uppercut, unless it's following a right cross in a combo. Bobbing can give power to any punch and works great for countering. I tried the squaring up tip here and it works like a charm, too. The only issue I have is repositioning your stance after squaring up and following up on the lead uppercut when you're squared up with your opponent.
I don't quite agree that lead hand hooks are stronger...I definitely love throwing the lead hook the most b/c it's fast and hard to see coming, esp. if you throw it right. But my right hook is probably my strongest punch, though easy to see.

chlorox said:
This may not be great advice...but I bend a little to the side before throwing it...Frankly, I haven't used this much in MT sparring...only in boxing sparring and it is normally to the body after a cross (which kind of puts you in that position)..
that's exactly what i do. squat a little more, pivot to the left from the abs up, and lean to the left a little, throw an upper cut.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
herrsackbauer
Back