left lead vs right lead

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by Justin23452, Sep 24, 2005.

1. Justin23452

Justin23452 Guest

Is there any dis-advantage for a right lead to go against a left lead and Vice versa. *in MT or MMA

2. aries

aries Silver Belt

I would have thought that the less common southpaw (right hand lead) would have the advantage over the orthodox fighter (left hand lead) simply because they will have had more experience of fighting against orthodox opponents.

3. Chthon

Chthon Silver Belt

Right. Most fighters are orthodox and thus are used to fighting that way. A southpaw fighter will not only know how to train with that stance, but most likely had to spend all his time sparring with orthodox fighters since, as mentioned, most fighters are orthodox. So they have an advantage in the sense of being able to fight and defend either way.

4. Zankou

Zankou Muscle and Hate Staff Member Senior Moderator

It is very hard to get used to fighting a southpaw if you normally go against orthodox. I find it extremely awkward, and it degenerates into a slugfest.

What I've always wondered is how southpaws find the experience when they go up against another southpaw ... because that rarely happens (left handed = 1/9 populace, two left handed = 1/81 odds). Most orthodox fighters eventually go up against southpaws here and there, but southpaws probably only rarely fight other souths.

*edit -- I take this back. It's a 1/81 chance that you have two southpaws, but for a given southpaw, it's a 1/9 chance his opponent will be southy too, so not that rare for them. Still interested to know how they find going into an "orthodox" matchup.

5. Michael Wanaka

Michael Wanaka Amateur Fighter

Watch jens pulver vs gomi. Kind of interesting fight because both of them are southpaw. Jens looked un natural because i dont' think he was used to fighting another leftie.

6. phenomfan1529

phenomfan1529 Brown Belt

I've been toying around being a southpaw these last couple weeks & I love leading with a right hook. Theres only one other person at my gym thats a natural southpaw.