Leave Jake Shields alone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Title Fight Productions, Oct 14, 2013.

1. Title Fight Productions

Title Fight Productions Steel Belt

Was thinking a lot about why Shields gets little to no respect here People shit on Shields here for whatever reason. I mean the guy can flat out grapple!! Maybe because he doesn't embrace the Gi? Coined "American JJ", to many decisions? I just don't get it.

Shields wrestled and was a 2 time all American for a small college, got a scholarship to SF State to wrestle, started there with Cesar Gracie and the boys from the scrap pack.

He has won big at Grapplers Quest, the Pans (even tho he doesn't train in the Gi), the Gracie Open and ADCC!

Started training with Chuck Liddell before moving up to Cesar and FAIRTEX SF.

Has a great MMA record he has achieved thru his grappling but still gets shit on in here....

But really all you have to do is look at his MMA record to see how good he is.....Since 2005 he has lost a total of twice, TWICE!!! Once in a 5 round Fight with GSP and once when got clipped vs. Ellenburger. And it's not like he is fighting nobodies either!!

Ellenberger, GSP loses

WINS

Menne
    Condit
    Okami
    Burger
    Verissimo
    Pyle
    Thomson
    Daley
    Lawler
    Miller
    Henderson
    Kampmann
    Akiyama
    Herman
    Daley
    Maia

So come on F12, Leave Jake Shields alone!!!!!!!!!

2. KotaroTheWolf

KotaroTheWolf Purple Belt

what is a jake shields?

3. Title Fight Productions

Title Fight Productions Steel Belt

One of the top MMA grapplers of all time?

4. KotaroTheWolf

KotaroTheWolf Purple Belt

I say that because it doesn't seem like anyone is really talking about him. Unless he's secretly Palhares.

5. Uchi Mata

Uchi Mata Preaching the gospel of heel hooks and left kicks

Why do you think people on F12 shit on Jake Shields? I've never seen anyone say anything bad about his grappling. He's pretty boring as an MMA fighter, but that's a whole different thing.

6. King Creatine

King Creatine Purple Belt

I was rooting for Maia, but I'm definitely not a Shields hater. I don't understand why there would be any hate for him, and I haven't really noticed it either.

Where is the hate, TitleFight?

7. Kenny from MD

Kenny from MD Less angry than before.

Ive always been a fan of his. Everyone I know that has coached/trained with him has nothing but positive things to say. I got to train with his brother in SC, who was really good and an awesome guy. Anyone that would trash him is a dork.

8. Ice 9 Cobra

Ice 9 Cobra Black Belt

I could see trashing him for his stand up, but never for his MMA resume and definitely not for his grappling.

I love him, he is one of the few fighters I actually win on when it comes to betting and he is always an underdog for some reason so I make good money

9. TheHereticJay

TheHereticJay I scoff at your belt rankings

I've met Jake and he's probably one of my top 10 fighters that I like. But one thing about Shields that gets him a lot of criticism is his striking and good god is it awful looking. But his grappling is top notch and you can't complain about it and be right in the head.

10. ShinkanPo

ShinkanPo I'll be the one to pluck that fleur

I was also surprise by some people who think Maia will steam roll him I rooted for Maia but I know its a tough fight for Demian.

And yeah it seems he does not get respect at all the guy survive a Dan Hendorson flurry and got rock but came back to dominate Hendo on the ground.

11. SuperSuperRambo

SuperSuperRambo Senior Moderator Senior Moderator

I've been a fan of Jake for years, even though I think he's a boring fighter. Still like him. Still hate the "AJJ" thing though.

12. Vitamin C

Vitamin C Black Belt

Jake Shields gets flak for getting on top and working harder to stay there than to finish the fight.
    Just like Tanquinho gets shit for getting 2 points and riding out a win.
    Yes, it takes incredible skill to do that against the likes of whom these gentlemen practice their art, but it doesn't make it any more fun to watch.

13. KBE6EKCTAH_CCP

KBE6EKCTAH_CCP Québecstan S S R

Shields is an amazing grappler.

I can't stand the guy on screen though. But everybody who has met him say that he's cool though.

14. Ice 9 Cobra

Ice 9 Cobra Black Belt

I don't know why he gets flack for not finishing, he is fighting guys who are plain hard to finish. His fight with Lawler shows how he can finish when there is a discrepancy in grappling skill.

15. HHJ

HHJ Jeg reiser til mørkets dyp der alt er dødt.

never been a fan,even though hes obviously a skilled grappler,he works the points game just like jon fitch. takedown and ride out the time. its not exciting to me

16. tap21

tap21 Green Belt

Ice 9 Cobra hit the nail on the head.

Shields is fighting and outgrappling guys who are damn near impossible to sub.

The fact that he is using grappling to beat guys like Demian Maia is amazing. If he were to sub them, it would be miraculous.

I'm sure his game is super boring to a lot of non-grapplers and grapplers alike. But, there are also a certain number of grapplers who would normally appreciate his technical game if he had not famously shunned their favorite training uniform.

WAR SHIELDS!

WAR AMERICAN JIU-JITSU!!!

17. Solidus Snake

Solidus Snake Purple Belt

I don't see all this hate towards Shields..

Unless considering people who thought Maia won their bout like "hating"..

18. Drew Foster

Drew Foster Silver Belt

Are there really though?

Do people in real life really give a shit about whether or not Shields trains in the gi or not? I've never met nor talked to a single person that held that opinion, in life or online.

19. KikoJones

KikoJones Blue Belt

20. Dogstarman

Dogstarman Old man jiu jitsu

It's his veganism bro. that's why people hate em. I think he is a good grappler but his ideas of food consumption is not for me.