Learning to breath with the mouthguard

VegasFighter**

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Should this be in the conditioning forum?? I don't know..

Anyway, I get pissed and throw my mouthguard away, because I can't breathe in the fucker. It's really important to me to have good teeth, but I want to be good at fighting too. BJJ, stand up whatever. Tips?? I can't afford a custom one right now, so that's out of the question.

Get a double. Breathe through the channel in the center.

I still feel choked by my mouthpiece from time to time. And I've been at this for many years. I think the simple answer is to wear it when you do less stressing activities in the gym. That means when you lift or do cardio.

When I switch mouthpieces I've actually put it in just watching TV to get use to the feel.

I ran through a bout recenlty of choking on my mouthpiece everytime it was in. So it was back to wearing it from teh time I started my warm up on. It sucked but I don't choke on it again. I think the main problem was I had a cold and breathing was hard with it in but what are you going to do.

Should this be in the conditioning forum?? I don't know..

Anyway, I get pissed and throw my mouthguard away, because I can't breathe in the fucker. It's really important to me to have good teeth, but I want to be good at fighting too. BJJ, stand up whatever. Tips?? I can't afford a custom one right now, so that's out of the question.

What is the problem? Mine doesn't bother me at all...

Did you fit it properly? It's essential that the guard sticks to your teeth and doesn't come loose when you move about.

i never understand why people use a mouth guard for bjj--

I only wear an ear guard as my ears get bashed in

We spar no gi at full power everytime and I got head butted twice pretty hard and chipped teeth.

I also quite often get hit by accidental elbows and knees.

Still hard to understand? :)

Just had an ear drained as well, so now I have 2 ear guards in the mail.

My lips get cut up everytime somebody goes for a sloppy gi choke. Mouthpiece helps a lot.

I train in mine all the time. Using a Shockdoctor now and it's not too bad for a boil and bite. Probably one of the better ones out there. No doubt I'm looking forward to my custom from StarsGuards. :icon_chee

I'll be going the custom route as soon as my mouth is in a stable state again (going to have wisdom teeth removed soon and so on)

That's not much of a head butt then... Are you rolling with kids or something?

no-- but say if ur grappling then ur opponent can accidently headbutt you with the crown (top) of his head under ur jaw--then u bite ur tongue by accident

ive had this done a few times--

Lol i never roll with a mouthpiece in during practice and i'm usually fine (no cuts in mouth) and then I go to NAGA recently and while i was wearing my mouth guard my mouth got ripped open lol.

To the TS. Re-boil that sucker if its messed up. Once i get enough cash this summer im getting me a Stars gaurd. (It sucks being a poor college student).

I recently ordered one from Customguards.net. Scott is way cool, and you can't beat $65. I'm in college too, so I didn't have the cash for Starsguard, but from looking around, it seems as if there is a primary method of making a custom gaurd, and both customguards.net and starsguard.com use that same method. It appears to be comparing apples to apples so I went with the cheaper price. But from what I've experienced with Scott and what I've seen in reviews from Jeff, they're both offering a great product for a lot less than other custom companies, and they're way better than the crappy one a dentist is likely to make for you.

no-- but say if ur grappling then ur opponent can accidently headbutt you with the crown (top) of his head under ur jaw--then u bite ur tongue by accident

ive had this done a few times--

Ah, both the big hits I've taken have been with the back of my opponents head against my jaw, and the guy put his back into the movement without checking where I was. That would explain the difference.

...it seems as if there is a primary method of making a custom gaurd, and both customguards.net and starsguard.com use that same method. It appears to be comparing apples to apples so I went with the cheaper price...

the main difference is the lamination method, we (StarsGuards) use pressure laminated machines, but scott seems to be a cool cat...

Back