Learned a cool move today...

Trickster***

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
If you are on top in half guard and your opponent gets really low to where he is about to single leg you (both hands around your trapped leg).....

You push his head down and high leg your free leg over his head to where you almost have his back. And if he tries to get up after you high leg over, you end up being able to easily put him into a cricifix.

Once a guy gets that low there really is nothing you can do so you might as well open some doors to where you have options. This might be a common reversal but today is the first time I was taught it and Im feeling it! Does anyone use this if the bottom guy scoots so low that you can't prevent the sweep??

Maybe someone has a video of this if I did a shitty job explaining it?

Can't picture it...Sounds a little like the amazing spin to armbar from halfguard my Brown belt instructor throws now and then.

Need a video for this one.

Can't picture it...Sounds a little like the amazing spin to armbar from halfguard my Brown belt instructor throws now and then.

Need a video for this one.

I think I know of the sweep you are describing from bottom half guard - you elevator your opponent off his base then shoot almost under the trapped leg and hug it.

But the escape you describe I am having a hard time picturing it. The ways I know of escaping this sweep is by moving your free leg behind you so that your hips are almost in a reverse scarfhold type orientation (tho he's still hugging your leg) and then either prying out your trapped leg or whipping the free one back in the direction it came to take his back.

The guy on TOP (as he is going to get swept by the bottom guy who scooted low and was able to grab a single) pushes the bottoms guys head down so that he can turn his hips and high leg over his opponents head....

This is a good explanation (for how it looks) but Ive never seen it before either so I know it sounds weird.

Ya know how when people grab a single on Marcelo he steps over there head with his free leg and takes there back? Well its similiar to that but for half guard.

I tried to find a video of it but nothing on youtube even came close. Sorry!

There are people who actually train under Joe Scarola?

There are people who actually train under Joe Scarola?

No I just thought it would be amusing to create a webpage in his name and throw it as my signature just to throw people off!

And who teaches you?

I can kind of picture it, but I think the guy on bottom would expect that, and if he's good at that sweep you'll get in a scramble at best. But maybe I'm picturing it wrong.

One option that works better for me is to push down the head to prevent him from coming up, and then attack his arm with a kimura, or just get the underhook back and sprawl back + crossface.

I can kind of picture it, but I think the guy on bottom would expect that, and if he's good at that sweep you'll get in a scramble at best. But maybe I'm picturing it wrong.

One option that works better for me is to push down the head to prevent him from coming up, and then attack his arm with a kimura, or just get the underhook back and sprawl back + crossface.

Right but Id rather end up in a scramble as opposed to definately being swept, don't u agree? And if the guy does see it coming...u can still get him in a crucifix. by getting up with him.

Im sorry I really need to make a video of this....

I get it now. When the guy goes for a single his head is on the outside you step over you are sorta in a reverse triangle position, he stands, wham a crucifix.

Head on the inside you are half on his back. Yeah, seen Marcelo do this sort of thing constantly. His move is so quick.

Great technique, I am too slow to utilize, yet.

I get it now. When the guy goes for a single his head is on the outside you step over you are sorta in a reverse triangle position, he stands, wham a crucifix.

Head on the inside you are half on his back. Yeah, seen Marcelo do this sort of thing constantly. His move is so quick.

Great technique, I am too slow to utilize, yet.

Thank God someone understood it lol

Back