learn the basics.....what are the basics?

largeli

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Im always reading in magazines, interviews etc. how important learning the basics, and fundamentals is. How newbs are too eager to learn the fancy stuff and neglect the basics and they pay for it later.
I just wanna know from you guys what do you consider the basics? We do a lot of mma at my gym which is great but sometimes we only do BJJ like 15% of the time and the rest is boxing/kickboxing/takedowns etc. Which is what i want out of a school but sometimes i think they neglect the ground game b/c they are all advanced enough to focus most of their time on other aspect of mma i.e. standup.....but for me i dont feel i ever got schooled in the basics.....ive been taught some pretty sweet subs and some cool stuff that i would consider a little advanced.
Anyone know a good instructional set that focuses on the basics?

bjj is a life style..... not just a martial art... if your only doing 15% ground game... your missing out

A solid guard, mount escapes, side control escapes, and some sweeps. Your defense needs to be spot on before you go learning anything else. Worry about defense first, then all the rest will fall into play.

scissor sweep, push sweep, a few basic guard passes and a solid guard, with the basic no gi subs from various positions (since you are doing mma) like armbar from mount, americana, kimura,RNC and other chokes

You training mma it seems so I guess you could watch mma fights and see what you think you need. Besides everything mentioned above by the other posters, I would say learn some basic submissions too. Kimuras, gulloutines, arm bar and triangles from the bottom. Yeah, learning defense is good if you only going to use bjj 15% of the time. Almost two years later I continue to take the basic class to go over and over and over the little things that I am missing. Good luck.

Gsoares2 said:
bjj is a life style..... not just a martial art... if your only doing 15% ground game... your missing out

Does that mean those who train bjj should be walking around with dinosaur arms at all times? j/k

Col. Angus said:
Does that mean those who train bjj should be walking around with dinosaur arms at all times? j/k
Yeah, I always wear my belt around my waist. Oh... and I always shrimp out of my bed...

tudor_bjj said:
Yeah, I always wear my belt around my waist. Oh... and I always shrimp out of my bed...

Damn dude. I wish that was a joke with me. Sometimes when I want to flip over in bed I find myself planting a foot and bridging. Must be having the recurring nightmare of being mounted (the story of my life in class :D).

To the poster. Buy Cesar Gracie's BJJ set. I do Sambo, but learned a heck of a lot from it. You should also drill shrimping. As much as I hate being on the bottom I find myself there a lot. But through a combination of shrimping and bridging I can often get an escape.

Staying calm when in a bad position would be the most important basic I've learnt so far.

tudor_bjj said:

I am also guilty of bed shrimping.

I should try the dinosaur arms at all times. I'll just tell people "I don't want to leave any openings -- Fights can happen at any time -- Trust me"

hip movement I think is the biggest thing, using it to create space for escapes and to eliminate space when in a control position.

Basics are like how you should aproach a side control from the top or from the bottom (arm positions, leg positions etc.), same from guard, same from mount, same from back mount. Then comes basic subs. Simple armbar from guard, armbar from mount, RNC from back, and key lock and kimura from side. Those things in my oppinion are the basics you sould learn first. The good positioning will help you with defence, and the subs (with the addition of the triangle) are the main ones that lead to the more advanced subs further down the line. Hell, I'm looking at it now, it seems to me all other subs are variations of the ones I named.

Realising the importance of getting underhooks to control my opponent and preventing my opponent from getting underhooks on me helped me when I started.

Don't worry too much about subs. It's absolutely imperative that you first be able to pass guard and pin your opponent without falling off. Keep a good base and learn to keep your weight on your opponent.

Defensively, have at least one escape that you can do well from each position.

Gsoares2 said:
it's not a life style, it's life

Back