Leading with the head or hips?

Bruce Calavera

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
I often hear people talk about leading with the head or leading with the hips in regard to guard passing. Can anyone explain how you know when you should use one vs the other?

I often hear people talk about leading with the head or leading with the hips in regard to guard passing. Can anyone explain how you know when you should use one vs the other?

From my limited experience, it depends on what kind of pass you're doing.

Can you give an example of a pass you might be working on?

I try not to lead with the head if my training partner is good at guillotines or loop chokes. I try not to lead with the hips as much if they are really good at leg locks. Good question, I need to think more about this.

From my limited experience, it depends on what kind of pass you're doing.

Can you give an example of a pass you might be working on?

I'm just trying to apply it conceptually so just for argument's sake pick a standard sweep if you'd like to cite an example(knee cut, knee over, smash, torreando, etc).

This a personal quandary of mine. Sometimes your head puts your hips in the right place, sometimes it gets you choked unconcious.
I'd say, broad stroke, I tend to smash/neutralize the guard with hips and grips, then finish the pass w my head.

People sometimes try to pass with poor posture, leaving them open. Having the hips under the head, instead of behind, is what they need to do frequently.

I'm just trying to apply it conceptually so just for argument's sake pick a standard sweep if you'd like to cite an example(knee cut, knee over, smash, torreando, etc).

In all your examples you listed I feel like leading with the hips makes more sense.

I've never heard this phrase, and i'm trying to figure out how leading with the head helps you with a pass? Doesn't matter what i'm doing with my head, if my hips aren't past the legs I haven't passed yet.

I guess i can see situations where going first with your head kind of makes sense...but at the end of the day i think hips are still primary in order to successfully pass.

just my 2c and take it with a grain of salt since i've never heard this before.

Back